User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Dec 2002, 00:47   #1
Dace

I've been thinking

Shocking i know.

Anyways ...

In my opinion America's foreign policy is a bit "silly".

I think that the Americans are a bit on the arrogant side in their dealings with other countries.

I think they depend too much on direct physical force (which i think is a very bad idea as it leads to a cycle of people thinking, and acting, like might makes right which always ends up with alot of bloodshed occuring and bad feeling resulting).

Anyways what ive been thinking about is the reason that Americans are like this.

A factoid that piqued my interest is that something like only 10% of Americans have a passport.

I think that the fact that so few Americans see the rest of the world is one of the contributing factors to why they act in what is in my opinion a "silly" fashion.

Without travelling and seeing other cultures and understanding that there are other ways to live Americans seem to want to force their way on others all the time.

I think the bloodshed in African/Middle Eastern countries kinda backs this up too.

The people who live in these countries never see any other way of life and as such appear to act in a righteous manner.

Also i think the amount of travel that Eurpoeans undertake and the fact that they see so many different cultures makes us as a "people" alot more civilised.

This thread is not meant to be anti-American.

I want to see what people think the reason why Americans act in the manner they do is.

So "tell" away.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 00:51   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Actually it's supposedly more like 2%, I think my aunt, who lives in LA, told me that.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 00:53   #3
Dace

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
Actually it's supposedly more like 2%, I think my aunt, who lives in LA, told me that.

My point is still the same.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:04   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quite, personally I'd feel that at best they're correct by default at best. Any protestations at actual knowledge are misled or simply lies. I doubt they think they need knowledge to act properly though. A massive contradiction in terms.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:08   #5
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
the question just becomes "why do so few americans leave american soil?"

or, to look at the other way round, since leaving the country is an active thing, why do so many europeans bother?

in a general sense, could our outlook be more international? why?

i guess it might just come down to location. connected with the fact europe has been a bunch of major -even global - powers on each other's doorstep, and often at war, for quite a while now.

(I'm not really happy with this idea since I don't see how we can view american civilization as completely seperate from europe rather than an extension of european ideas of the time.)
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:14   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
the question just becomes "why do so few americans leave american soil?"

or, to look at the other way round, since leaving the country is an active thing, why do so many europeans bother?

in a general sense, could our outlook be more international? why?

i guess it might just come down to location. connected with the fact europe has been a bunch of major -even global - powers on each other's doorstep, and often at war, for quite a while now.

(I'm not really happy with this idea since I don't see how we can view american civilization as completely seperate from europe rather than an extension of european ideas of the time.)

Simply, we're afraid and they're not. I won't draw a conclusion based on who's wrong or right. Our current outlook might be more informed, but progress isn't a straight line in such things. I'd dare say we both need to learn more.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:18   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
will you stop comparing a country and a continent you egotistical twats

Europe does not think as a whole.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:25   #8
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
will you stop comparing a country and a continent you egotistical twats

Europe does not think as a whole.
Well maybe not but try tracing any sort of independent history of ideas (or events) for one european nation.

anyway, america is a federal republic and we're in the eu, so it's not that disparate.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:26   #9
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
But Europeans certainly do think differently to Americans on the whole
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:33   #10
wu_trax

i think its a bit unfair to blame americans for not leaving their country.
if i drive for 1-2 hours im in the netherlands, how many americans can reach another country within an hour or two?
then add the history of uk and france as global powers with colonies all aorund the globe, which means that the people in these countries have always been more interested in the rest of the world.
about the idea of using force: in the last 60 years the us had to have a large military to 'win' the cold war while we in europe got a lot of experience in negotiations and bilateral deals (by the development of the EU). this means the us policy belifes in the right of the stronger and in "war is a mere continuation of policy by other means", while we dont see any real need for a huge military.
not to forget about the fact that we (or better said our parents or grandparents) saw the results of a full scale war, the us didnt have this experience since the civil war.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:41   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
I blame the opressive media and corporate machine for dumbing down the american people.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:53   #12
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
You're denying the bible belt their hard-won credit.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:54   #13
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Oppressive media and corporate control aside, the geographical factor is the main reason for lack of travel.

You guys in EU can hop on an extensive network of trains and crisscross the continent...we have no way to get anywhere except flying, really, aside from Canada and Mexico (I've been to Mexico countless times...you do NOT want to drive there, and mostly, you don't want to go there unless going to the beach...a long drive from USA).

Most everyone I talk to over here would love to travel outside North America, but it takes time/money, which are often in short supply.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:56   #14
Dace

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese

So what you're saying is that Americans are just lazy huh?!
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:59   #15
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Dace
So what you're saying is that Americans are just lazy huh?!

Yes, ignorant, fat, lazy, self-centered, Britney Spears-listening, fast-food eating, SUV-driving, Bush-supporting slobs.

ALL of us.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:05   #16
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Yes, ignorant, fat, lazy, self-centered, Britney Spears-listening, fast-food eating, SUV-driving, Bush-supporting slobs.

ALL of us.
Dont hold back there Cochese. Repressed anger is bad for the soul.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:06   #17
Cochese
Retired

I'm ashamed to be American!!!1111222233

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:11   #18
Dace

Quote:
I'm ashamed to be American!!!1111222233

Keep letting the pain out.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:13   #19
Cochese
Retired

I have photoshop 7 and I don't know how to use it!!!1112223

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:29   #20
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
don't be so hard on yourself now, you can always move to more civilized parts of the world.
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:34   #21
Cochese
Retired

I doubt I would fit in anywhere else

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:36   #22
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
the geographical factor is the main reason for lack of travel.
then why the hell do we have so many asians and aussies over here?

Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:39   #23
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
You're denying the bible belt their hard-won credit.
well they have their place in the opressive media machine, right up there in denying the general populous their so called right to freedom. which is the 2nd funniest thing i have ever heard.

Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:54   #24
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I've been thinking

Quote:
Shocking i know.

Anyways ...

I think that the Americans are a bit on the arrogant side in their dealings with other countries.

I think they depend too much on direct physical force (which i think is a very bad idea as it leads to a cycle of people thinking, and acting, like might makes right which always ends up with alot of bloodshed occuring and bad feeling resulting).

Anyways what ive been thinking about is the reason that Americans are like this.

A factoid that piqued my interest is that something like only 10% of Americans have a passport.

I think that the fact that so few Americans see the rest of the world is one of the contributing factors to why they act in what is in my opinion a "silly" fashion.

Without travelling and seeing other cultures and understanding that there are other ways to live Americans seem to want to force their way on others all the time.

I think the bloodshed in African/Middle Eastern countries kinda backs this up too.

The people who live in these countries never see any other way of life and as such appear to act in a righteous manner.

Also i think the amount of travel that Eurpoeans undertake and the fact that they see so many different cultures makes us as a "people" alot more civilised.

I want to see what people think the reason why Americans act in the manner they do is.

So "tell" away.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Remember that most Americans live in large cities, and the prevalent thought there seems to be, take care of number one.
If you get into the Rural areas people tend to be friendlier and better informed, they are also outnumbered on election day.
I have a passport by have not used it yet. I hope to visit GB (Great Britain, not George Bush) and Europe in a few years, mainly because I have met so many people in PA from there. Travel to countries with alot of violence and anti-American protest doesn't interest me, self-preservation takes precedence.
Basically I would love to see every problem solved Diplomatically, I don't care who rules Iraq, North Korea, China or any other country, as long as they live and let live. I hear alot of negative things about Americans on these boards, but where I live I see very few people who fit those descriptions. America is huge, with a very diverse mix of people, all races, religions, beliefs and backgrounds. Hispanics will soon have the majority here, and may already. In a few years when they figure out they have the voting power you may see a truly different America emerge, with totally new ideas. Lets hope it's good.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:58   #25
Radical Edward

Re: Re: I've been thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Hispanics will soon have the majority here, and may already. In a few years when they figure out they have the voting power you may see a truly different America emerge, with totally new ideas. Lets hope it's good.
tacos and sombreros. God help us all.

Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:12   #26
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
I think America’s problems lie in their children, who are fed on a diet of consumerism and anger through out their childhood. Little Joey an American boy grows up reading comic books about superheroes that are always right doing battle against evil, usually in their home city. The ideal ‘philosophy’ of America is embedded into his tiny little mind through the use of this super hero. All that the superhero does is good; all that he fights against is bad. And whilst superman is held up as the all American guy, even batman, the darker, more sinister superhero does not analyse his emotions beyond that of the childish need to retaliate against everything that hurts him. Crime took his family, crime will pay, no matter the socio political reasons behind crime, simply that ‘crime’ will pay, please note that the anthropmophisation of crime, it is an entity, to batman. In addition little Joey is told about the greatness of his country’s achievements, the splender of its science, the nobleness of its exploits. In the mind of little Joey, America becomes the superhero, the embodiment of good. The superhero is good; therefore all else is not so good. Is this good? How am I doing so far, im making this up as I go along in a swirl of emotional reflection, but nonetheless let us press on. The greatness of the US means there is no need to go abroad, little Joey knows all about his country’s achievements, and he knows that his country is the most powerful in the world. Therefore all that he has been told is correct!. America is the greatest; the proof is America is the strongest. Why go abroad to lesser cultures?? But then wait, America is questioned, worse America is challenged, and even worse opposed. Little Joey does not know how to react, but then he remembers, America is the superhero. It has been wronged and will fight back. The war on terror is a result. What exactly is a war on terror?? Batman was a crime fighter, but did he ever consider the reasons behind the crime?. Whose terror is America apposing?? Does it fight the terror others feel it breeds, or does it simply shut its mind to the emotions of others. Does it toughen up, realise that only it can save the world, and as such do what must be done, it is the most powerful; therefore it is the most right.

N.B. Does anyone else find the superhero concept a deeply socialist, dare I say it even communist one, in the former soviet blocks, massive statues were put up of the ‘great leaders’ of the country. Stalin et al were portrayed as the enlightened ones, pulling the levers of power, they knew what was best for the country. They were revered as such. In comic books we have the same all powerful usually male figure, who does what is best for everyone. He is held up as all that is good. His male physique is perfect (contrast with the soviet style statues with the massive pecs) he is intelligent, articulate, and strong. No other nation has nearly as many superhero comics as the US.

Comics are the oppressive mind control of a people who went to far in the direction of freedom.

America needs YOUR beanos and dandys NOW.

EDIT in defence of americans the author is a result of non american culture and has never visited the country. He probably knows not what he says.
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:39   #27
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Simply, we're afraid and they're not. I won't draw a conclusion based on who's wrong or right. Our current outlook might be more informed, but progress isn't a straight line in such things. I'd dare say we both need to learn more.

this is a good beginning imo. most americans do not know the horror of a fight on their own soil. most dont understand their own country being bombed to shreds. its an ignorance to a part of life we have fortunately havent had to deal with since the days of the revolutionary war, and that was hardly on the same destructive scale.
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:41   #28
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

NightSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
more like 5%

the yanks need no passports outside of the us

and the world currency is dollars also... according to them at least
<Blue|WORKING> they are all sitting on a LAN
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
<[RO]NightSinner> my mistake
<TomKat> Lithuanian Area Network
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:46   #29
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you have ever travelled to america you will understand why they do not leave. There is very little need too.

In the north you have the mountains of colarado. In the east you have the megatropolis of new york, boston, chicago, washington and all the history associated with them.

in the west you have california and its sunshine, bizarre way of life, glamour and fortune. In the middle you have 'normality' but also the beauty that each individual state has to offer. In the south you have 'old america'. The confederacy and its deep rooted feelings.

Also florida where america goes to play.

Why leave when it can take a lifetime to see it all??

Thats why americans dont have passports.

However this has major major drawbacks. America, although vast, varied and different is basically America no matter where you go. You are very few minutes from a local McDonalds or petrol station. The layout is the same and the people all speak and think alike. (for the most part) due to shared culture and shared experiences.

In europe we travel. We travel because europe in itself is vastly different from country to country. Visiting each broadens your mind and opens you up to new ideas. americans dont have this variation in quite the same way.

Its sad but true. If more americans travelled and paid the expensive airfairs to visit europe then im sure much of the 'misunderstanding' with the rest of the world would diminish.

Travel truly does "broaden the mind"
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 13:41   #30
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Travel truly does "broaden the mind"
I think you about hit the nail on the head there Jimmy but also...

Europe has not gotten along since the beginning of time. Only with the advent of the 20th century and 2 world wars has Europe learned that they must get along with each other or die. On the other hand before WW2 America was an isolationist country. This is because we had a continent to tame (for good or ill). There was dabbling on the world stage by Theodore Roosevelt but after he left office America went back to her isolationist ways. WW1 left a bitter taste in our mouths and we became more isolationist still. Then WW2 came along and whether you like it or not, America came to the rescue of the world. After this America was forced to the center of the world stage so that the evil of Stalin (and it was evil) would not spread. After Stalin's death America was of the mind set that all Communists were evil. So in order to avoid WW3 America ironically beefed up it's armed forces following the MAD (mutual assured destruction) philosophy. Viet Nam was an eye opener to Americans and not since our civil war has more Americans pitted themselves against other Americans. With that and Watergate right after America became cynical with her government. It was a time when even Americans hated being Americans. Then along came Ronnie who instilled a pride of being American again. With this and the end of the Cold War American national pride was at an all time high and everything was right with the world. Then came 9/11, which was a catastrophic attack on our soil that killed thousands. In my opinion America is still in a state of shock, being attacked by an unseen enemy that does not have the balls to put an army in the field. So therefore America is lashing out at anyone that has even considered harboring Osama and his ilk. On a side note America has also cut the leash on Israel because of this and no longer even considers trying to rein them in. So when you say that America has not experienced war on her shores. We have experienced war on our shores more recently than Europe. I think the war on drugs is a bad joke, but the war on terror is about as legitimate as it gets. We lost twice as many people in the WTC than we did at Pearl Harbor. I just wish the European peoples would understand the pain our country went through with that. I am not saying that the terrorists did not have their reasons, but if someone kills your friends and family you dont give a rat's pattoot what those reasons are. You just want to crush the people responsible into a jellied goo. The problem is, that the people responsible hide like rats in holes all over the world. Unfortunately with the advent of the Terror war Americans travel even less than they did before and the general population are starting to revert back to their isolationist ways.

I could go on and on with other issues like the stranglehold the NEA has on the American education system, the death of the father figure in American society and other things like that, but I dont have room here to write a complete thesis.

BTW I have a passport and I use it too.

This is just my personal opinion and in no way reflects the Bush administration or the American people.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 14:47   #31
wu_trax

Quote:
We have experienced war on our shores more recently than Europe. I think the war on drugs is a bad joke, but the war on terror is about as legitimate as it gets. We lost twice as many people in the WTC than we did at Pearl Harbor. I just wish the European peoples would understand the pain our country went through with that.
i dont think you can call one building and a few thousand people a "war". if americans would have an idea of war (besides the flagwaving heroism in your movies) you would make sure bush would stop his stupid idea of his war on terrorism (which doesnt help the situation at all) and will only cause a lot of suffering for people in other countries and more terrorism
Quote:
I am not saying that the terrorists did not have their reasons, but if someone kills your friends and family you dont give a rat's pattoot what those reasons are. You just want to crush the people responsible into a jellied goo.
the question is: do you do that on your own or do you let a court decide what to do?
Quote:
The problem is, that the people responsible hide like rats in holes all over the world. Unfortunately with the advent of the Terror war Americans travel even less than they did before and the general population are starting to revert back to their isolationist ways.
and because of that you plan to attack random countries you dont like??
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 15:07   #32
Archi
Mack Daddy

Quote:
i dont think you can call one building and a few thousand people a "war". if americans would have an idea of war (besides the flagwaving heroism in your movies) you would make sure bush would stop his stupid idea of his war on terrorism (which doesnt help the situation at all) and will only cause a lot of suffering for people in other countries and more terrorism
/me wonders how many people have to die then before it is considered a war? The Europeans started WW1 with the death of only one man. Which in my opinion is a lot stupider reason. Of course the deaths of a few thousand Americans probably brings a smile to your face, but I happen to think differently.

Quote:
the question is: do you do that on your own or do you let a court decide what to do?
With that philosophy we should have just sued Hitler then.

Quote:
and because of that you plan to attack random countries you dont like??
Last time I looked the only country we have actually attacked was Afghanastan. Which is where those monsters were trained. There are no actual boots on the ground in Iraq. Don't go making judgements on something that has not even happened yet.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 15:09   #33
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

In my opinion America's foreign policy is a bit
"silly".
no ****
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 15:14   #34
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
we all know the war on terrorism is a joke. how many americans support/supported the IRA and all the damage they did to Britain? how many americans support Israel and that bloody mess? how many americans have even heard of ETA (sp?) the terrorists in Spain who have killed god knows how many.. this isnt a war.. this is america flexing its muscles. it is mr bush gaining popularity points with those americans who beleive america is always right and can do no wrong. u cannot fight the likes of Osama in a pitched battle. going and bombing some country with a national budget about the same as the pentagons bog roll budget clearleh isnt the way to do things. 9/11 may have opened the eyes of america to international terrorism and the reality of those horrors, but it had failed to make america take note of the damage they do in the middle east. im not saying america is always wrong, or even mostly wrong. in a war of morals, the americans probably do have the upper hand in many arguements, but that doesnt mean they can unthinkingly attack any small country they like.

war on american shores.. dont make me laugh.. how many american (and british/german) weapons are sold to be used on the ppl of poorer states? money makes the world go round, and america has all the money.

hmm, ought to point out, my gf is american and has a passport, and the "travel broadens the mind" thing is clearly true. she has been here 6 months and is certainly alot more open minded about world politics than she was before she came here.

[/rant]

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 15:16   #35
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by Archi
/me wonders how many people have to die then before it is considered a war? The Europeans started WW1 with the death of only one man. Which in my opinion is a lot stupider reason. Of course the deaths of a few thousand Americans probably brings a smile to your face, but I happen to think differently.
i still wouldnt call one building an "experience of war", it was terrorism and thats something completly different.

Quote:
With that philosophy we should have just sued Hitler then.
there was no real uno who was able to act back then. today there is

Quote:
Last time I looked the only country we have actually attacked was Afghanastan. Which is where those monsters were trained. There are no actual boots on the ground in Iraq. Don't go making judgements on something that has not even happened yet.
and how much did it help to attack afganistan? al quaida still exists and already has new camps in afganistan (and probably elsewhere aswell)
and dont start me with irak: it obviously looks like Mr. Bush wants that war, no matter what and is doing everything possible to start it
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 15:30   #36
Archi
Mack Daddy

Quote:
i still wouldnt call one building an "experience of war", it was terrorism and thats something completly different.
It was more than "one building". There were 2 towers, also you forget the Pentagon and the other flight that would have hit the capitol building if the people onboard would not have taken matters into their own hands. Also the terrorists were trained in military style camps (which makes them combatant soldiers in my book).

Quote:
there was no real uno who was able to act back then. today there is
Yeah there was, it was called the League of Nations, unfortunately they had your attitude and looked the other way when the rubber hit the road and facism was on the move.

Quote:
and how much did it help to attack afganistan? al quaida still exists and already has new camps in afganistan (and probably elsewhere aswell)
I didnt say we won, I just said we attacked them.

Quote:
and dont start me with irak: it obviously looks like Mr. Bush wants that war, no matter what and is doing everything possible to start it
Perhaps, but so far he has been going by the numbers with full support from the UN security council.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 15:46   #37
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Quote:
Perhaps, but so far he has been going by the numbers with full support from the UN security council.
I think what you have to understand is that the rhetoric from Bush and his administration are becoming just as damaging as his actions (such as the huge build-up of forces in the Middle East). He may have gone through the UN up until now but people are left with no doubt that he is perfectly willing to circumvent the security council if necessary.

And to consider the League of Nations to be anything like the United Nations in terms of organisation, influence and power is ridiculous.

I think this thread has been predictably sidetracked and to think that all "American thought" can be narrowed down to even a few reasons is pure folly. But seeing as thats the name of the game I'll state that the isolationist policies that have dominated their foreign policies mean that American domestic policy has achieved dominance and localised issues have taken precedence.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 16:57   #38
Archi
Mack Daddy

Quote:
I think this thread has been predictably sidetracked and to think that all "American thought" can be narrowed down to even a few reasons is pure folly.
The smartest thing I heard on this thread so far.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 16:59   #39
wu_trax

Quote:
It was more than "one building". There were 2 towers, also you forget the Pentagon and the other flight that would have hit the capitol building if the people onboard would not have taken matters into their own hands. Also the terrorists were trained in military style camps (which makes them combatant soldiers in my book).
its still not a war in the classical sence, since there is no other country that is directly responsible

Quote:
Yeah there was, it was called the League of Nations, unfortunately they had your attitude and looked the other way when the rubber hit the road and facism was on the move.
and what power did that league of nations have? close to none

Quote:
I didnt say we won, I just said we attacked them.

yes, so far, but so far bush has also said that he wants saddam removed, WMDs or not and that will most likely increase hate on the us and therefore terrorism. in the end it probably make the whole israel-conflict look like a kindergarten. by attacking irak you will make things worse. you cant fight terrorism with pure military power.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:18   #40
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
[b]its still not a war in the classical sence, since there is no other country that is directly responsible

[b]
and what power did that league of nations have? close to none

yes, so far, but so far bush has also said that he wants saddam removed, WMDs or not and that will most likely increase hate on the us and therefore terrorism. in the end it probably make the whole israel-conflict look like a kindergarten. by attacking irak you will make things worse. you cant fight terrorism with pure military power.
getting semantic about it doesnt change the situtation

it's very arguable that was their own fault

im no fan of the piece of horse dung that got elected in this country. BUT, the more i read about whats going on and the more i see the actions that are being taken, the more it looks like typical cold war tactics to me. yes, i beleive that cowboy warmonger wants to go kill everyone in the middle east, but i also believe he has many advisors (other than rumsfeld) that are reigning him in from doing just that. he's going to use political and military pressure to get what he wants, but im not as entirely convinced he's going to be able to invade. with that said id say its still a very good possibility, but it has all the makings of typical cold war military pressure
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:19   #41
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:

Actually there were seven buildings total in the WTC complex, all seven were destroyed in the attack, the two towers by the planes and the five shorter buildings by the flaming debris falling from the towers setting them on fire as well as the damage caused them by the towers collapse.

And your wasting your time arguing with wu_trax, he's a staunch anti-american who will never like anything America does simply because we are the ones doing it. We act, he complains, we don't act. he still complains. Best to just ignore him.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:25   #42
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
And your wasting your time arguing with wu_trax, he's a staunch anti-american who will never like anything America does simply because we are the ones doing it. We act, he complains, we don't act. he still complains. Best to just ignore him.
it all depends on how you act.
noone here has been "anti-american" at all, until bush came to power
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:26   #43
Archi
Mack Daddy

Sigh, ok you win. We're the source of all evil in the world. The innocent peace loving peoples of the earth would be a lot better off without the evil Americans flooding the world with movies, rock music, McDonalds, Blue Jeans and Coca Cola. No one should have to tolerate that. Americans should all be rounded up, put in camps then gassed (that is the European way after all). Everyone would disarm, hold hands and sing Kumbayah. The world would then be an idyllic place where there would be no conflict and people could live side by side in peace and harmony.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:38   #44
wu_trax

Quote:
Sigh, ok you win. We're the source of all evil in the world. The innocent peace loving peoples of the earth would be a lot better off without the evil Americans flooding the world with movies, rock music, McDonalds, Blue Jeans and Coca Cola. No one should have to tolerate that. Americans should all be rounded up, put in camps then gassed (that is the European way after all).
i didnt say that, but its only with or against us anyway, isnt it?

Quote:
Everyone would disarm, hold hands and sing Kumbayah. The world would then be an idyllic place where there would be no conflict and people could live side by side in peace and harmony.
so before doing nothing at all its better to make things worse?
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:43   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Sigh, ok you win. We're the source of all evil in the world. The innocent peace loving peoples of the earth would be a lot better off without the evil Americans flooding the world with movies, rock music, McDonalds, Blue Jeans and Coca Cola. No one should have to tolerate that. Americans should all be rounded up, put in camps then gassed (that is the European way after all). Everyone would disarm, hold hands and sing Kumbayah. The world would then be an idyllic place where there would be no conflict and people could live side by side in peace and harmony.
Blue Jeans aren't american.

Motion Pictures aren't american.

The biggest and most influential bands in the world tend not to be american.

Although you've got a fine 'talking bollocks' monopoly in the making.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 17:58   #46
General Geiger

General Geiger is infamous around these partsGeneral Geiger is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Shocking i know.

Anyways ...

So "tell" away.
I'm afraid I haven't got time to read the wealth of interesting things that have doubtless been written over the course of this thread.

It is a fact that a significant number of American's go their entire lives without seeing the sea; the country is so vast that people are far more interested in local than national issues, and the happenings at federal level often seem far removed from someone in Texas, Nebraska, or Washington State. In the words of Newt Gingrich, "All politics [in America] is local politics."

The problem is also partly historical. You must remember that the USA was founded following a bloody war in which foreign powers (namely Britain) sought to impose their will and system of government on the Thirteen Colonies. For this reason they have had a won't-stand-for-no-sh*t policy towards outsiders; this attitude has been exacerbated and brought to the fore in the twentieth century by certain events, namely Pearl Harbour and 9/11, fifty nine years later.

There's also the racial factor. Racial division has torn American society since the country was founded, and the frequently bloody attitude of different sides in the race wars that have wracked the USA, mainly in the southern states, are very readily turned against outsiders. WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) Americans for decades imposed their will on blacks, and are only too happy to try and do soon the rest of the world as well.

There will always be people in all countries who never go anywhere else and are utterly intolerant to other views and insist on imposing their beliefs and feelings on others. The problem is particularly severe in America for various reasons, a couple of which I've already mentioned, and similarly in the Middle East, where religious persuasion is as big a factor in social and ideological intolerance as geographical scale is in the USA.

The problem is far less severe in Europe because there are many cultures squashed close together; we've seen what happens when they grow intolerant of one another. We've learned to get along. In fact it might be argued that the English are now the most intolerant European race - as an island people, cut off byoceans on either side, we've come to regard our independence and racial purity with a kind of semi-religious zeal. Multi-culturalism here is difficult, mainly because our island culture has led to a rather large number of the aforementioned people who never go anywhere else and are utterly intolerant to other's beliefs and ideologies. I know a few myself. Look at the race riots we've had.

I think however it can all be summed up in my own patented phrase I'm very fond of pulling out: "Wankers congregate". Remember that: "Wankers congregate". It's a big truism.

In answer to your question, though, the reason why Americans are unusually intolerant and overbearing is largely because of geographical isolation, the historical context of shirking off the chains of repression imposed by the English in the American War of Independence, the racial problem that has continually divided American society, and the strong religious factor in American society, especially in the Mid-West. This stew of factors leads to Americans being a more intolerant and isolationist race than most, to everyone else as well as to themselves.

And I don't think American foreign policy is silly at all, personally. It makes absolute sense in my mind to persecute terrorist groups and rogue states who may develop WOMD and use them irresponsibly, especially as those groups have at times gassed religious minorities in their thousands and flown passenger jets into tall buildings. But that's just me.

*morg has never heard of GD
<@morg> sounds like an std to me

<.KraKto5is8> "you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose"
General Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:08   #47
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

by making this statement you have discredited all previous arguements and thoughts..

shame....

you now look stupid.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:19   #48
Archi
Mack Daddy

Quote:
by making this statement you have discredited all previous arguements and thoughts..
My apologies, my temper got the better of me. I am just weary of looking at the forums and hearing how, stupid, intolerant, and meanspirited my people are. I humbly retract the statement and will try to keep my temper in check.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:19   #49
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
it all depends on how you act.
noone here has been "anti-american" at all, until bush came to power
I base my conclusion on all the posts of yours I have read, not just this one.
And from your last statement may I assume you are saying your not anti-American, just anti-Bush?
Please remember our only other choice was Al Gore, and despite what some people think he was no better than Bush. The day a decent candidate runs for President will be a joyous day indeed in America.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 18:27   #50
Archi
Mack Daddy

Quote:
The day a decent candidate runs for President will be a joyous day indeed in America.
Amen