User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 26 Jun 2008, 13:55   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
pateam

why do they def bots that are meant to be farmed!
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2008, 14:11   #2
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future
Re: pateam

lol becuase they want to take your ships

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2008, 15:00   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
If I were PA Team, this is the point where I'd say something along the lines of "jer, the only reason we keep defending against you is because you're not a small guy needing growth, instead, you're just abusing the presence of the bots to steal easy roids and ships. We disapprove of this approach."
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2008, 16:30   #4
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Just because it's you, jer....
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2008, 16:59   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

luckily mz, i'm not the only one who gets defended by it and nor am i 'abusing' it. i'm a late starter and as such why shouldn't i be entitled to farms? in any case this is ludicrous practice and i won't stand for it!
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2008, 19:02   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

someone call for a waaambulance :/
Unread 26 Jun 2008, 23:32   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
why do they def bots that are meant to be farmed!
Fake attack one (or more) of the bots, wait for PA team to defend them. Then attack the defending planet with real ships to get even more roids and XP. If Cin (or whomever) recalls, then you still get through on the bot planets if you use a xan-type fake. If he doesnt, then you win.

Like, pa skillz and stuff. PA Team isnt hyperactive.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2008, 01:06   #8
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

As far as I know the only reason the PA team defends the bots (other then to farm newbie ships for themselves) is to protect the bots from abuse by players. It seems fair to me that an occasional attack by smallish players on the bots is a fine way to get roids, that's what they are there for. But constantly attacking the bots, or bashing them because they are just above your bash limit seems to me to be a bit of over abuse. After all the point of the game is to beat your fellow players, not a bunch of bots.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2008, 08:57   #9
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I would say, remove the bots entirely, maybe open up the c200 universe for people below a certain score and value instead.
Unread 27 Jun 2008, 16:04   #10
Osidiradadumpf

Osidiradadumpf can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I would say, remove the bots entirely, maybe open up the c200 universe for people below a certain score and value instead.
Opening c200 up is a bad idea.. But creating a c100 for new players might be an better idea. This way they can fight among players with the same size and when they think they are up to it teleport to the real game.

A couple of big c100 galaxies with a couple of more experienced players in it to teach some attacking/defending basics should do the trick. Yes, those experienced players are basically giving up the round, but they could play next round for free...

At this moment, nothing has really changed.. instead of initiating and getting roided by experienced players they are now attacking bots and getting roided.
Osidiradadumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2008, 16:19   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the playerbase is small enough as it is without fragmenting it further
Unread 27 Jun 2008, 19:10   #12
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Not too bad an idea. Limit people to either 1 or 2 attacks of c200 planets maximum in the first 7 days of their planet being created. Sometimes they might get a very nice juicy target, but they'll only get the opportunity once or twice.

Whats the deal with the bots anyway? There is nothing in the manual about them, no real guidelines or policy about what they're there for. Hours have probably been spent coding them. New players will get farmed if they try to attack them, higher ranking players won't get much score from them either.

At the moment it just looks like sanctioned farming by the people who run the game.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2008, 23:36   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
the playerbase is small enough as it is without fragmenting it further
Truer words were ne'er said.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 28 Jun 2008, 00:18   #14
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

And whats so damn wrong to farm the 1.1 bots until you can? Especially for late starters that the first day or two out of protection have a fleet that makes people laugh. Anyways soon you will grow and won't be able to attack no more. Honestly, those bots were my first target this round, I thought they were there precisely for that (and I thought it was a great idea). It turns out that I lost ALL (100%) my shippies cuz I didn't even bother to scan. pum. first 48 hours of saving and production gone down the toilet + next 48 hours doing nothing but rebuilding. Nice way to welcome the n00bies to the PA world! Bravo!

Whats the freaking point of having 1.1 bots if they will be covered just like players elsewhere in the universe, or more even? and will require you to spend resources on scans! (yes, #trans... aside).

STOP COVERING THEM! Shit! Whats next. 1.1 retaliating for n00bies attacking the bots?

I could understand if each gal had and ever growing bot, that the players in the gal would protect it and nourish it. I actually proposed this in the past. But, to have 1.1, the admin gal, taking shippies from n00bies and later starters is utter nonsense.

Let players farm them until they can no more. Maybe lower their number of roids and their value... so as to make it practically a once or twice event. But for God's sake, don't give poisoned candies to the players that present the least challenge in the universe!!!

Dumbasses!!!

Last edited by Aedolaws; 28 Jun 2008 at 01:29.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2008, 00:52   #15
Ghosteh
Pariah

Ghosteh is a jewel in the roughGhosteh is a jewel in the roughGhosteh is a jewel in the rough

Aren't bots illegal?
Ghosteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2008, 01:47   #16
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedolaws
I lost ALL (100%) my shippies cuz I didn't even bother to scan.
im not sure i see the problem

-Cead
Ceadrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2008, 02:21   #17
Aedolaws

wuao... I cannot believe I didn't realize it before? Wuao, you are so wise!

yeah, yeah, yeah... u know what I mean, if u really think that right out of protectton, at tick 350, I need to scan and bcalc a 1 v. 1 attack between bottom 200 players, especially an AI target located at the admin. gal, then you are nuts! or a n00b.

Last edited by Aedolaws; 28 Jun 2008 at 06:11.
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 01:06   #18
Ghosteh
Pariah

Ghosteh is a jewel in the roughGhosteh is a jewel in the roughGhosteh is a jewel in the rough

So again, why are there bots in 1:1? Do they serve some kind of testing purpose, or are they a farm?
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 01:40   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosteh
So again, why are there bots in 1:1? Do they serve some kind of testing purpose, or are they a farm?
They are there for new players. New players need to know how to predict a battle via battle calcs, they need to launch, scan, calculate defence and predict the final outcome of the battle, and if they do it well they are rewarded with xp, roids, score and potentially ships. New players who dont have the scans yet will need to communicate with others to get what they need.

What's so hard to get?

If you dont scan, and Cin smashes you, then you deserve it. Particularly because you are not a new player and should know what you're doing.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 05:51   #20
Ghosteh
Pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
They are there for new players. New players need to know how to predict a battle via battle calcs, they need to launch, scan, calculate defence and predict the final outcome of the battle, and if they do it well they are rewarded with xp, roids, score and potentially ships. New players who dont have the scans yet will need to communicate with others to get what they need.

What's so hard to get?

If you dont scan, and Cin smashes you, then you deserve it. Particularly because you are not a new player and should know what you're doing.
That's fine, just as GReaper indicated before finding information on why they're there and what they do has been rather difficult. Perhaps something along the lines of your first paragraph should be inserted in the manual.
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 16:36   #21
Aedolaws

Quote:

What's so hard to get?

=================

In theory sounds great. I said I sent my fleet thinking it wad a great idea. Fine. I get that iz suppozed to be a training ground. In practice, however, it fails to accomplish all it could. And zometimez (z juzt broke) it fruztratez itz very purpoze. It iz incredulouz to expect truly new playerz to zcore right away. Are u gonna take their fleetz 3 or 4 or 5 timez until they get it? Would that make them quit?

What is the difference between attacking 1.1-botz and attacking elsewhere? I mean, besidez that if I attack a half a mil gal at tick 500 I am virtually assured no one there knows what they are doing and you'll be pretty safe, you can calc, zcan, zee how battle goez, be happy u zcored, keep playing. But you attack a bot 1.1 and chances are you will always be covered (and yez I am zpeculating az to thiz) and outsmarted.

I simply don't see it. I am sorry. New players can accomplish all you have said with regular planets, perhaps even with more chance of success, and thuz more chancez of zuccez for PA, since only a handful of gal will have so many vets or eyes az 24/7.

As atm, they are not benefiting the universe a much a they could.

P.Z.

You gotta make zure people know how they work. I didn't. And I have played thiz for yearz. You expect zomeone dropping out of the blue to do better?

Last edited by Aedolaws; 29 Jun 2008 at 16:46.
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 21:52   #22
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

wtf happened to your S key?
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 22:41   #23
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Learn to use ctrl+H man!
Unread 29 Jun 2008, 23:32   #24
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

ctrl+c / ctrl+v ftw :-/
Unread 30 Jun 2008, 19:47   #25
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

ctrl die
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2008, 09:01   #26
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

if it is ment to be training then perhaps the pa crew should send messages warning about the def and telling the attacking new players to calc it out (give link) and decide if they want to land or not... tho I guess that would take too much time

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2008, 12:39   #27
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

The bots are there for everyones pleasure, including ours !
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2008, 17:47   #28
Aedolaws

vote Quimby.

Last edited by Aedolaws; 10 Jul 2008 at 04:26.
Unread 12 Jul 2008, 19:23   #29
Eternity
DarK_AnGeL^

Eternity is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Pateam and respect what they have done for the game
VtS, CpV, RAH, ND, Jenova, xVx, Ascendancy, Rainbows, Kittenz, Faceless, Ironborn and RED.

Played in rounds :
20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31
71 - 85.
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2008, 13:52   #30
Ghostwkd

Ghostwkd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie

What's so hard to get?

They are claimed to be there for new players, yet nothing to tell new players about them bar if you tell them yourself.

The galaxy that has hit them the most, is the number one galaxy. The ally that has hit them the most, is last rounds winning ally.

Still think they're helping the new players more than they are helping the people who shouldnt need them?

p.s. late reply, im not very active
Ghostwkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2008, 16:23   #31
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

What happened to the 'find out when you land' way of playing the game, learning combat by doing etc... surely thats more fun than calcs all teh way? or am i just very old fashioned when it comes to playing?

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were

Last edited by Mit; 15 Jul 2008 at 16:39.
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote