User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Sep 2003, 00:30   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
new Travel Time info (manual updated)

Hi,

Just received some new information on how time travel works, having investigated 1 or 2 eta 13 fleets in the universe. The system shouldnt affect too many of you, but BCs/attack planners may like to know.

For travel more than 10 clusters from your planet, for EACH 10th cluster or part thereof away from you, travel time grows by 1 tick.

There are examples of how this works on both the manual tech tree page and the missions page.

If you have any questions about travel time, or other pa aspects, please feel free to ask me, or come by #support on irc.netgamers.org

Regards,
NB3
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 00:45   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new Travel Time info (manual updated)

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3

The system shouldnt affect too many of you

I don't mean to "stir the pot" here, but why was the new travel time system put in if it doesn't affect "too many" people?

It was my understanding that the new traveltime system would be something to "regionalize" the game...now we don't even have the tried-and-true cluster set-up, which was actually something rather than what we've got now, which is practically nothing.

This should have been installed say, r3/r4, when it would have owned...

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 11:25   #3
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Ta matey.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 11:30   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It won't affect most of us.

It affects the low cluster people, and the high cluster people the most, but even then it isn't that big.

If someone is more than 10 clusters away, it adds on another 1 hour to your ETA.
If someone is more than 20 clusters away, it adds on another 2 hours to your ETA.
etc.

That's all.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 12:47   #5
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
This seems to penalise people for signing up early, someone in cluster 1 will have half as many potential targets/defenders as someone in 10+

I wonder if the universe gets bigger we will see people exiling to the high clusters in order to get a time penalty for attackers?
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 13:07   #6
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
Two points/questions:

1) Does the system 'wrap around'?

i.e. If you are in C1 is your travel time to the last cluster (19 atm?) the same as if the cluster was say C-1?

2) If not this system is simply a hinderance to the people at either end of the universe and largely favours those lucky enough to be 'in the middle'.

Its tremendously optimistic to think the universe will grow enough to balance it out.

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 13:31   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
From NB3's Reply on the strat board, the universe doesn't wrap, so us loyal players who signed up nice and early are put at a bit of a disadvantage
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 14:32   #8
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point
What an unbelieveable stupid rule. No problem to me as I am in the middle, and can defend or attack most planets without time penalty, but for the people in c1 or c19.

And: If the universe are wrapped, noone will have any penalty with 19 clusters only.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 15:51   #9
cura
Pro. Elbow Licker

cura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to beholdcura is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
From NB3's Reply on the strat board, the universe doesn't wrap, so us loyal players who signed up nice and early are put at a bit of a disadvantage
yer, that'll show us for signing up early
cura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 18:21   #10
Tyroka
Hat

Tyroka is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
ofc u might have an attack penalty for those in high clusters, on the other hand alliances prolly wont target the clusters in the ends as much since then some of their members will have a time penalty which would reduce the chance of being successful for that member. (ofc attacks could be run the way that ppl from c1-c10 attack one target gal and ppl from c10-c19 attack another target gal to avoid that problem)
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 20:27   #11
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Once again a good idea goes into the minds of the PA creators and comes out as crap.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 21:10   #12
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's not that bad. Jeez.

There are advantages and disadvantages.

Say there's a scheduled attack on your galaxy from a nasty evil battlegroup. And they decide "wait there, that gal is +1 ETA, lets go somewhere closer to home". You get to rest easy.
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 00:49   #13
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
a least ppl in c19 cant attack u with a low eta if u signed up early ..

does favour ppl ~c10 mind.
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 15:52   #14
Death
Thats Mr Death to you...

Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Great ******* idea

"The system shouldnt affect too many of you..."

Yeah, right, it effects most of us. The further you are away from the centre of the universe, the more targets you get with hi'er ETA. Good thinking guys.
Now, if indeed the universe would wrap, i could live with it, but not the way it is now.

http://www34.brinkster.com/deathcof/...th_300_225.jpg
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 16:12   #15
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
my question to you is .... how are you geniousses going to solve this? we do have a big problem here....another thing why didnt anyone see this was going to happen in beta? you all blind?
i'm disappointed that once again you guys seems to **** up a very clever idea....
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 16:35   #16
Hala
Turtle!

Hala is an unknown quantity at this point
This is just another example of Spinner and the rest of the creators being clueless idiots who have made the stupidest game ever which I can't believe I spent $15 on.

I doubt they could run a hotdog stand properly, let alone a online strategy game with thousands of customers...
R4: n00b planet
R5: 5:1:10 Halaka of the Land of Milk and Honey - UV
R6: 35:15:10 Frozzy of The Honey Jar - WP - Later NoS
R7: 29:18:7 Muffin-Man of The Bakery - NoS
R8: 55:10:7 General Hague of The Alexander - Virus - Officer
R9: Scan planet - Virus - Officer
R9.5: 13:3:9 Mandrake of Duntion Wood - Virus - Officer
Hala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 17:11   #17
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spearhead
my question to you is .... how are you geniousses going to solve this? we do have a big problem here....another thing why didnt anyone see this was going to happen in beta? you all blind?
i'm disappointed that once again you guys seems to **** up a very clever idea....

That would because they didn't HAVE localized travel times in the beta.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 18:53   #18
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

then my next question would be, why the **** not?
one of the most important features and noone even knew about it ....nice going sorry but i'm not very happy........
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 18:56   #19
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
then my next question would be, why the **** not?
one of the most important features and noone even knew about it ....nice going sorry but i'm not very happy........

Probably so the "big evil alliances" wouldn't have that much more information, and be able to formulate early strategies.

Could also be that, it sucks so much, there would have been endless complaining about it by 99% of the testers

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 08:38   #20
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

2 days later....Still no official expanation....are you guys running a company here or what...? I wonder sometimes what we have to do to get answers around here....when is spinner coming up with a decent alternative...i'm still waiting
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 12:00   #21
Tomkat

Quote:
are you guys running a company here or what...?

We pay for a service that they provide to us.

Seems like a company to me.
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 13:09   #22
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

ok let it be then :P

Last edited by Spearhead; 18 Sep 2003 at 21:16.
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote