User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:02   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
A Music Thread

There hasn't been one for a while (at least 2 days...) so there follows a list of some songs I am currently liking a lot. As a rule, I listen to albums in their entirety and so picking out individual songs is difficult, as I tend to listen to albums where I like every single song.

Radiohead's 'Idioteque' is a strange one for me. When I first heard Kid A I didn't much like it, but this one song stuck out as being "alright". Having now grown to like the album a lot, it still stands out as being something good.

'O2' by Sleater Kinney is a damn good song, quite anthemic and a bit different from its neighbours on One Beat makes it stand out. It's also quite catchy, something some of the other songs on the album don't really have going for them. I will definitely be borrowing some more of their albums off my housemate when I return to university.

Another album I borrowed recently was Tetra Splendour's Splendid Animation, from which 'Muriel's Motorhome' stands out as being rather good. Comparable, in my mind at least, to Radiohead (OK Computer) and Muse (Showbiz), but with something a little different about them, I haven't listened enough to really love them yet, but they are definitely worth listening to.

'I heard you got action' by another Canadian group, Pony Up!, is again quite strange. It's very poppy, but in quite an original way. The 'plot' is two girls talking/singing about how one of them pulled last night, using some nice Baseball metaphors, it's quite amusing. I can't see myself buying an album, but it's quite a nice song, with again a catchy tune.

I think 'Topknot' by Cornershop (of Brimful of Asha fame, remember them?) is being (re-?)released this week, and it deserves to do well. It's quirky, sung in something other than english (an Indian language I guess, but don't know which one) and does everything right that the awful Punjabi MC did wrong in his 'hit'.

'Portions for Foxes' by Rilo Kiley is doing fairly well at the moment, I think I saw/heard it on MTV the other day, but another song off their album, 'Love and War (11/11/46)' has impressed me. The rest of the album tends towards rather whiney acoustic/country-sounding stuff, but this one song is sufficiently different to make me really like it. I can't see many people liking the album, but I would reccomend this song in particular.

Having not heard the rest of the album,' Dude Ranch Nurse' by Sonic Youth makes me curious as to the rest. I've never really got into Sonic Youth, though have liked the few songs I've heard, but this one struck me as being different- a lot less experimental-sounding, and more relaxed. I would be interested in reccomendations as to their best album/song.

'Neighbourhood 2 (Laika)' by The Arcade Fire has made me want to buy their album (The Funeral) as soon as I can justfiy the expenditure. I've been listening to the radio this week just so I can hear this song (on 6Music, it has seemed to be on most shows), and it's excellent.

Similarly, Tom Vek's 'I Ain't Saying My Goodbyes' is rather good. I missed seeing him supporting Chikinki and TCTC when they played near me a while back, and having finally now heard stuff by him, really regret not going.

In other news, with albums now on sale from The Arcade Fire, Tom Vek, British Sea Power and Hot Hot Heat, I could really do with some money :|
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:05   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A Music Thread

The last 4 albums I bought in the last fortnight are:
A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
Idlewild - warnings/promises
Taking Back Sunday - where you want to be
and
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

All are good
Two before that were:
Incubus - A crow left of the murder...
and
Mr Scruff - Keep it Solid Steel

These are both also good

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:09   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Listening to the following albums lately:

Californication - Red hot chili Peppers
By the Way - Red hot chili Peppers
Stop making sense - Talking Heads
Doors Greatest Hits
Ten - Pearl Jam
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:21   #4
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Recently I've found about De La Soul (and the album De La Soul is dead), I even like them, well that album, better than Blackalicious now.

The Herbaliser - Very Mercenry is an excellent 'chilled beats' album from Ninja tunes.

Sex Machine (live album) by James Brown has become one of my favourite albums as well.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:24   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Last two I bought were Kasabian, and 'Noone's listening any more' by Klute. The first's obviously pretty good, a couple of tracks perk up on a second listening. The Klute album's been getting some hard listening to recently though. It's drum 'n bass but 'good'. Not intrusive, significantly more melodic than compilation CDs would have you believe all d'n'b is, though has the odd amateurish 'Casio keyboard' moment.
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:24   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

daydream nation is generally held up as SY's best album; for songs, Karen Revisited and Schizophrenia are personal favourites.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:34   #7
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
The Herbaliser - Very Mercenry is an excellent 'chilled beats' album from Ninja tunes.
I really like Something Wicked This Way Comes (it's in the GD music archive) but can't find any more of their albums anywhere

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:37   #8
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Only bought 3 albums this year

Bloc Party - silent alarm
Kaiser Chiefs - employment
The Kings of Leon - youth and young manhood (found it in a bargain bin)

Bit disappointed with Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs compared to last years new bands (Kasbian especially seeing as someone mentioned them a few posts up). Employment gets better with each listen and i'm getting into it more, 'i predict a riot' and 'oh my god' are great songs but i just cant seem to get into the Bloc Party album. Only bought Kings of Leon this weekend so not listened to it much but it seems like a decent bargain.

Heard Lyla by Oasis a few days ago and really like it, cant wait for their new album later this year. If i had more money i'ld probably go and by The Bravery's album but i think i'll wait for a few more singles to be released from it before i decide.
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:39   #9
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

A-Har! One will obtain that album soon as well. Ta.
If you like The Herbaliser, listen to Entroducing..... by DJ Shadow.
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 17:45   #10
Weeks
Banned

Oh, I nearly forgot Awfully Deep by Roots Manuva which is excellent.
And I only found out about Pet Sounds by the Beach boys over christmas. So it need another mention, as it could quite possibly be the best album ever. Ever.
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 20:27   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I got something for "See Saw - Key of the twilight" lately. I don't know... I just like the song.
Or "Yuki Kaijura - The world"
Two songs from the .hack//sign soundtrack, they both seem to "touch" me.
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 20:38   #12
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Someone mentioned Idlewild's new album: I got that for my 20th birthday (yesterday) and have come to the conclusion that I don't particularly like any of it apart from the first song ('Love steals us from Loneliness'), which is good.
I also got given the early RHCP 'Remastered' album, which made me wish I had been born with no ears.
However, the aforementioned are redeemed by 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic' which is excellent.
May I add that the Kaiser Chiefs are irrepairably awful.
Unread 3 Apr 2005, 20:40   #13
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
one day i hope to understand this viewpoint
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 07:48   #14
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Radiohead's 'Idioteque' is a strange one for me. When I first heard Kid A I didn't much like it, but this one song stuck out as being "alright". Having now grown to like the album a lot, it still stands out as being something good.
i had exactly the same experience with that track. it's funny how you can 'learn' to enjoy certain types of music when you listen to it more.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 08:05   #15
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Amen.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 13:21   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I think the two singles are excellent, but the rest of the album is pretty dire. I was very disapointed, was waiting for it for over a year
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 14:33   #17
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
I think the two singles are excellent, but the rest of the album is pretty dire. I was very disapointed, was waiting for it for over a year
how can anyone not love 'Every Day I Love You Less And Less'?
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 15:55   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Currently I've gone all retro and have been listening to old game soundtracks like Sonic The Hedgehog & Bomberman etc, particularly the ingenious remixes at http://www.ocremix.org/.

Butterfingers have been getting a lot of airplay on the local radio, so far I've enjoyed all their songs.

MC Lars is another one, in particular 'Mr Raven'. His music style reminds me a lot of The Bloodhound Gang, which is good because there really hasn't been any other bands on the comedy rap/rock bandwagon before.

I also like a bit of the wacky so Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Godhopping has also been on the list.

Lastly there's been a lot of decent aussie songs, but none of you guys are ever likely to hear them for another year or so if at all. Artists on the list are Regurgitator, The Cat Empire, The Herd, Resin Dogs, Hilltop Hoods, Spiderbait amongst others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I got something for "See Saw - Key of the twilight" lately. I don't know... I just like the song.
Or "Yuki Kaijura - The world"
Two songs from the .hack//sign soundtrack, they both seem to "touch" me.
It's all a part of the .hack//sign experience I think, I did the same thing when I originally saw it and immediatly downloaded those two songs.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 23:13   #19
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
i had exactly the same experience with that track. it's funny how you can 'learn' to enjoy certain types of music when you listen to it more.
Aye, only really got intp radiohead 'proper' (ie. the weirder stuff) after seeing them and buying albums. Listening to them more allows you to appreciate what at first often seems lke 'noise'.
Idioteque was one I loved from the start mind.
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote