User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Dec 2002, 16:58   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel of Time - Book 10

Seeing as I'm only half way through Book 1, kindly refrain from posting spoiler's from later books. This saves me and possibly a few other people from losing out on hours of entertainment. Plus it's only polite an considerate. Cheers. - Belgarath

Does anyone have an advanced copy of Crossroads of Twilight I could borrow? Dragonmount posted a review on it and said the book will be released early Janurary. Anyways, its about time, its been what? Like two years since Book 9?

If you do have an advanced copy please send me a PM!

Last edited by Belgarath The Sorcerer; 16 Dec 2002 at 20:39.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 17:16   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I would love an advance copy..
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 17:54   #3
Makain
Macintosh Defender

I hear ******'s army finally lays siege to *** ***** and the ***** ***** in this book.

This statement has been edited to remove spoilers in accordance to requests by the moderators, Thank You!

Last edited by Makain; 16 Dec 2002 at 23:14.
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 18:44   #4
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold
Re: Wheel of Time - Book 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
Does anyone have an advanced copy of Crossroads of Twilight I could borrow? Dragonmount posted a review on it and said the book will be released early Janurary. Anyways, its about time, its been what? Like two years since Book 9?

If you do have an advanced copy please send me a PM!
1 year and a half?
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 19:14   #5
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
heh

im halfway tru book 7 :/

looks like i gotta read 8-10 in english bah bah

/me tries not to get anytin up ahead spoiled by norty irc`ers :S
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 20:01   #6
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Since book 9 was released, I've read 3 pages of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 21:56   #7
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Mage
That was well harsh moderating from Belgarath

But I can'nt wait for the book either! First fantasy book i've every looked forward to reading.
Actually all I did was add my request at the top of Makains post, he will be able to assure you I haven't removed anything from his original post.

I'd just really like not to have a dozen books spoiled because of things I might read in this thread
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 22:20   #8
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
I'll have an advanced copy once they're out. however, you need to be a reviewer to get one too awful far out. I'll probably have it a week ahead, at most 2 weeks.

And all I hope with this one is that he gets it OVER WITH ALREADY...only reason I'm still reading is because of some kind of sadistic fascination.
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 23:11   #9
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
Actually all I did was add my request at the top of Makains post, he will be able to assure you I haven't removed anything from his original post.

I'd just really like not to have a dozen books spoiled because of things I might read in this thread
Nothing was deleted, he just didn't want anything spoiled. Completely understandable as there are quite a few Wheel of Time fans on these boards.

And Sandsake there is going to be 12 books in the series, though the reviewer said its getting pretty damn close to the end. I wouldn't mind a 20 book series with 8 going into the Seanchan part a little more, except it takes an eon for them to come out I would be 32 when the last one did come out. Besides Mr. Jordan is going to keel over in a decade or two.
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 23:29   #10
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, I read book 1-6 or something at age 14 i think, but I can't be arsed to start reading them all over again. Got so pissed because the bad guys never got killed and only got ressurrected all the time. Ferchristsake, If you can't get the story finished until book 10 and more than 5000 pages, then don't bother. Luckily I discovered better literature
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 23:45   #11
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by eple
damn, I read book 1-6 or something at age 14 i think, but I can't be arsed to start reading them all over again. Got so pissed because the bad guys never got killed and only got ressurrected all the time. Ferchristsake, If you can't get the story finished until book 10 and more than 5000 pages, then don't bother. Luckily I discovered better literature
The really good stuff didn't even start till book 7, and it may have seemed the 'bad guy' keeps on getting reserecuted but if you read a little further the whole thing starts to come together. Patience is a virtue well-rewarded in epic novels like Wheel of Time.
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 23:48   #12
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
everybody tells me so, but I ain't going to start all over again in a looong time baby. Maybe if I end up in jail for some years, and have read every single piece of literature classified as "better than -heel of time"

Incredibly long fantasy epics is just for nerds, it's so gay.
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 02:07   #13
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by eple
everybody tells me so, but I ain't going to start all over again in a looong time baby. Maybe if I end up in jail for some years, and have read every single piece of literature classified as "better than -heel of time"

Incredibly long fantasy epics is just for nerds, it's so gay.
So the Lord of the Rings is for nerds?

Its for everyone well-read and looking for a good story. If you aren't interested thats fine, but don't bash on it because you don't care for the plot, or in the case, or don't care to finish it. Lots of things look crappy halfway done, many of them end up pretty good in the end though.
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 05:22   #14
Cooling

Ill have the book on the 7th of Jan, but thats as soon as ive heard anyone getting it so far. Tho i could be so bold as to suggest Steve Eriksons Malazan series is a far more compelling read. (it too is an epic series, set to span 9~ books). Too bad its not released in the US, as no publishing company will bring it out there. Somthing about americans being generally too stupid to understand it or some wank.
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 05:36   #15
Makain
Macintosh Defender

The General Populace might be, but there are literate ones out here begging for material here. If I read another Sword of Truth novel I will vomit.
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 05:43   #16
Cooling

Quote:
The General Populace might be, but there are literate ones out here begging for material here. If I read another Sword of Truth novel I will vomit.
I take it you read pillars of creation then :P
Heh

Gardens of the moon (book #1 in the malazan series) was probably the best book i have read in years. And ive read quite a number from that genre. Its really complex and involved, lots of plot twists and an unorthodox approach. Usualy ending with the death of all the most well liked characters \o/
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 06:20   #17
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Cooling
I take it you read pillars of creation then :P
Heh

Gardens of the moon (book #1 in the malazan series) was probably the best book i have read in years. And ive read quite a number from that genre. Its really complex and involved, lots of plot twists and an unorthodox approach. Usualy ending with the death of all the most well liked characters \o/
Well why should I read it now? You just told me the ending!

Pillars of Creation was told from the point of view of two new and very naive charachters that met up with the main ones at the very end and I personally did not care for it. I wanted to know what Richard, Abby, Kylen (sp?) were doing. Oh god its only been three months and I am already forgeting their names. See in WoT I even remember the smaller character names, like Lini, and Demandred, which is a testament to its creativity and quality.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:24   #18
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Cooling

Heh, so far I've taken 4 planet names and 2 IRC nicks from that series. Also, book 4 is now out. \0/.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:35   #19
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Martin and Gemmel blow Jordan and Goodkind out of the water without even breaking a sweat.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:37   #20
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
The really good stuff didn't even start till book 7, and it may have seemed the 'bad guy' keeps on getting reserecuted but if you read a little further the whole thing starts to come together. Patience is a virtue well-rewarded in epic novels like Wheel of Time.
Not at all.

I'd almost recommend skipping books 6, 7 and 8. It's a good 2+ thousand pages where nothing significant happens. Jordan completely lost control of the series somewhere in books 4 and 5, and there were way too many characters (like literally hundreds of people whose names you need to remember, in multiple languages each) and way too many crap side plots that didn't matter.

Book nine was okay, and seemed to be saying that Jordan was getting his act together. I'm hoping 3-4 more books, because it would be impossible to tie up all the ends in a satisfactory way in less. Of course, in the likely event that Jordan can't figure out any satisfactory to end it, I'm hoping book ten has Rand showing up and blowing away Shaitan with a 12-gauge, so I won't have to waste any more time on this.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote