User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 26 Feb 2007, 11:32   #1
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
A way to spur on the newbies - Advisors

Since it looks like questing will never happen, and the manual is a piece of ****, its very hard to walk a player through the game without them getting bored and quitting.

Lets think outside the box. I know, crazy, right?

Have a cute little 'advisors' page. A bit like in Civilization games you have that panel of people directing those who cba to look through the game rules.

For example:

Chief foreman: Listen sir, our science department is complaining that they don't have enough space to research the latest <insert random thing>, I think we should build them a research laboratory. <Click here> and I'll get right on it!

Master engineer: Our guys don't know how to maximise their efficiency, please tell them what to do. I've set up a form for you to fill in <here>. Might I recommend we use them to up our researching speed?

Minister of communication: A new technology has arisen that allows every family in the universe to communicate with eachother. Click on com unit to test it out and meet your neighbours.

Oh and if there is any mention of "we can't do that, it will mess up the skins" I swear I will piss in your drinks.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 11:32   #2
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A way to spur on the newbies - Advisors

These will obviously change as you build/set orders.

Oh, and maybe put in some nice pictures of people.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 11:44   #3
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

So basically a more wordy version of the old quests.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 12:17   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I have said for a long time on these forums that there's alot that could be borrowed from civ that could help this game. Like Civ, PA is a game which shares alot of characteristics with a board game due to its turn based nature and if inspiration is going to be drawn from anywhere civ is a good place to start.

What I always found so good about Civ is you could delve into the micromanagement side and gain a small advantage in the game or you could somewhat ignore it and play it as a casual gamer and still be able to do well and its that kind of balance PA could do with.

Anyway as i see it, this isnt so much quests. In civ your advisor's for example didn't lay out a plan for you and what they wanted would almost always mean you would have to ignore the rest. With a more complex construction and research system it would work wonders for the game and theres no reason why you couldnt also have quests as well teaching them how to do certain ingame tasks
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 15:13   #5
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
bringing back the quests in some form or another would certainly help new players learn the game quicker and would stop them from being told to RTFM when they ask in gal forums or irc

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 18:22   #6
The Real Arfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Since it looks like questing will never happen
And no, not at all. They are there to advise new players throughout the round. Not give rewards to players who know exactly what they are doing.

Unread 26 Feb 2007, 18:29   #7
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, though they should still reintroduce quests

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 18:57   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I personally believe that quests would be easy to do than a decent advisers system... Though I do think advisers would be nice.

We know there are lots of cool things we could do with the game, and as wakey says micromanagement can be used to add depth to the game, but it can be designed so that it doesn't give that much of an advantage (which would be VERY useful for having a distinction between paid and free accounts). However, the community can expect to see all theese things appear at once, though hopefully quests is something we will see this year.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 19:16   #9
Koks

Koks will become famous soon enoughKoks will become famous soon enough

I have been with alot of new players and dont mind mentoring them, maybe an option of having restrictions on galaxies with say so many upgraded accounts and so many free accounts so that people get mixed in.

Far too many times have i seen snobby pa players ask unpaid accounts to 'self exile asap', no wonder they eventually quit.
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 19:33   #10
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

While I like this idea care would need to be taken not to end up with everyone playing the same way as this would screw up the balance of the game. A military advisor would be the hardest to code as this could dictate the tactics all new players should take when building ships and therefore make them easy targets.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2007, 20:08   #11
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

aka the Paperclip from MSOffice ?
Normally, i'd like to shoot the bitch that set it up there by default, however, introducing it into PA (with OPTIONAL SWITCH, i dont need no machine telling me what chips to build) would be great help for newer players. However, how do you determine wat the planet actually needs (i am not saying its impossible, it just involves some coding and we both know what that means) so that thing can give an accurate advice.

all i am saying is: "Ace idea. If implemented, someone will **** it up, imo"
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 01:39   #12
Beeblbrox

Beeblbrox is on a distinguished road

I love this idea. Just as long as one of the advisors looks like Elvis :-) (old Civ players will know what I mean)
Beeblbrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2007, 01:46   #13
Beeblbrox

Beeblbrox is on a distinguished road

Agent Elvis - Our security level is low, we better build us some Security Centers or they'll be stepping on our Blue Suede Shoes
Beeblbrox is offline   Reply With Quote