User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:31   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
16mb cache?

The original problem has been solved (in the quote below) but I have one more query.

Maxtor 6L250R0 Diamondmax 10 250GB 7200rpm ATA/133 16MB Cache - OEM

^^ Is that extra 16MB cache just another marketting ploy?

Quote:
I have a MSI 865PE Neo2 Series (MSI-6728 v1.1) mobo and in the manual it states it supports ATA133 on an IDE3 connector but where it's supposed to be, it simply isn't there (wasn't even soldered on) - the motherboard is about 2 years old.

I've just bought an ATA133 hard-drive and a ATA133 cable to go with it. According to the manual, it can only be connected through the IDE3 connector because the IDE1 & IDE2 connectors only supports speeds of up to ATA100

I don't want to have to sacrifice that peak 33MB/s so are there any 'adapters' out there that will allow me to use my ATA133 hard-drive? Btw, this will be used as my master and my ordinary ATA100 IDE drive will become a slave - can this be supported?

Thanks.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores

Last edited by Androme; 18 Oct 2005 at 20:17.
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 18:25   #2
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: ATA133 Controller...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
I have a MSI 865PE Neo2 Series (MSI-6728 v1.1) mobo and in the manual it states it supports ATA133 on an IDE3 connector but where it's supposed to be, it simply isn't there (wasn't even soldered on) - the motherboard is about 2 years old.

I've just bought an ATA133 hard-drive and a ATA133 cable to go with it. According to the manual, it can only be connected through the IDE3 connector because the IDE1 & IDE2 connectors only supports speeds of up to ATA100

I don't want to have to sacrifice that peak 33MB/s so are there any 'adapters' out there that will allow me to use my ATA133 hard-drive? Btw, this will be used as my master and my ordinary ATA100 IDE drive will become a slave - can this be supported?

Thanks.
I'm even connecting ATA133 drives through old ATA-33 cables on ATA-66 controllers without a problem. You just get a warning from some BIOS versions because of the cable in that case. You shouldnt have any problem just plugging your ATA-133 hard drive onto a ATA-100 controller+cable.

Your hard drive wont be able to saturate the ATA-100 bus anyway, so any speed "increase" from using ATA-133 transfer is probably not even noticable. There are only a few setups where it really matters (like 2 raptor drives on the same ATA-100 cable).

If you insist on spending your money then you can buy an additional PCI controller card like this one: http://www.alternate.de/html/shop/pr...l?artno=FPAA04

A waste of money though IMHO.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 18:50   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

no real world benefits of ATA133 over ATA100, just a marketing tactic essentially
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 19:51   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Cheers dudes!
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 22:05   #5
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: 16mb cache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
The original problem has been solved (in the quote below) but I have one more query.

Maxtor 6L250R0 Diamondmax 10 250GB 7200rpm ATA/133 16MB Cache - OEM

^^ Is that extra 16MB cache just another marketting ploy?
Personally i wouldnt buy a 2mb cache drive anymore - 8mb cache upwards for me but it depends on what you do with your computer to judge how much the performance depends on your hard drives cache.

Check the performance database at www.storagereview.com and consider which of the tests applies best to your daily computer work.

ps: innovative thread re-use
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote