User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 22 Sep 2005, 16:06   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
To people who've used FreeBSD ports.

Is it true that it's the next Jesus Christ compared to traditional Linux packaging systems, apt-get etc?

As as soon as I get the internet back I'm going to be installing FreeBSD, and ports is the main reason I'm switching. I'm sick of the Linux packaging systems.

Thanks in advance,
Weeks.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 00:22   #2
electron
electric storm conjurer

electron is on a distinguished road
Re: To people who've used FreeBSD ports.

Well.. It is best in a lot of senses to me. But not all of them are easily accepted by most people. The FreeBSD ports system is a system in which you install a given portion of third-party software on the system (and its dependencies) with ease.

Sometimes, though, it does not work (usually when you have an outdated ports-tree), but usually updating the tree fixes it. Some other times the port simply does not install or work anymore, and severe changes are needed. On both cases, the FreeBSD community is usually great at helping solve it.

On the other hand, people many times get used to run `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade` (or the likes, for updating the databases and then upgrading what's needed). The ports system itself does not do that. You have to use something like portupgrade to automate it.

You should just try it yourself
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 10:38   #3
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
As as soon as I get the internet back I'm going to be installing FreeBSD, and ports is the main reason I'm switching. I'm sick of the Linux packaging systems.
It would help if you describe what exactly your problem with 'Linux packaging systems' is.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 10:43   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

FreeBSD has better community support if only because it's actually older than Linux and so is further down the production line, so to speak. And so it's probably slightly better written by now for the average user.