User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Aug 2006, 15:11   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
[Bats] Have you seen them recently?

I hear from the BBC news website that butterflies have been doing excedingly well this year due to the hot weather (re: finding mates, eating on vegetation etc). Moths I think must be doing equally as well, since I have so many of them in the house, some really large! Obviously Bats go where the food is at dusk, and I`ve seen a number in the last 2-3 months. Last night we had at least 3 flying around the trees in the garden on a feeding frenzy! Really nice to see*. I have you seen any bats?

*So cool and quite, yet blind.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 15:17   #2
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: [Bats] Have you seen them recently?

Yes.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 15:47   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have seen the film "Bats" recently, yes!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 16:51   #4
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i once went on a 'bat-tour' in a town nearby. it's easy to find bats, all you need to do is go out when it gets dark, find a small lake and use a flashlight to see over the surface of the water.

hf.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 18:11   #5
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

A bat flew into the side of my head while I was walking home a couple of weeks ago true story.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 18:50   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i saw one crash into a wall in first year that was hilarious.

they always fly over the football pitches at the uni

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 19:01   #7
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

I haven't seen any recently, but there used to be a fox in my garden at nighttime and sometimes I see a turtle (not a ninja ) in my neighbourhood.
Does that count?
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 19:25   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

There are a fair few bats around here. You can especially here them just as the sun dips below the horizon. I'd like to say i'd seen them, but all i usually catch is the blur as they pass my window -- can definately here them though.
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 20:01   #9
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Loads around lakes/ponds at night. I hear them most nights somewhere outside when my window's open and that's in the middle of the city.
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 22:31   #10
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

a bat bounced off my chest less than an hour ago

normally I'd tell people "don't worry, they may fly close but they never hit you" so I'm not sure what to say now

change 'never' to 'rarely' I suppose :/
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 23:57   #11
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

there was a bat in my parents' living room last week. my parents live in a converted barn, and bats roost in the roof space or something. not quite sure how it managed to get into the living room, but there you go.

fascinating, eh?

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 02:19   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
a bat bounced off my chest less than an hour ago

normally I'd tell people "don't worry, they may fly close but they never hit you" so I'm not sure what to say now

change 'never' to 'rarely' I suppose :/
Clearly the bat caught some of 'Jackass the Movie' last night and decided to give it a try.

(My sister once got a bat tangled in her hair. She now has it cut considerably shorter.)
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 16:09   #13
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephor
A bat flew into the side of my head while I was walking home a couple of weeks ago true story.
I got hit by a bat when I was out with my boat late at night a week ago. It was a bit scary but it doesn't even get close to this one when a swan flew into my head when I was driving the boat at full speed upriver last year. The result was a stiff neck for two weeks.

Bats are pretty common around here, they usually fly about down by the river for some reason.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 20:32   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like bats.
At least I think I like bats. I like the thought of bats. If one landed on me I'm not so sure.

In answer to the question, yes, and I can still hear them too, with my youthful ears!
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 23:14   #15
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bats do not sweat, nor do they pant like a dog and thus they are exceptionally sensitive to hot weather.

When we had our recent hot spell, we had bats dropping dead all over town from heat exhaustion. There were 85 dead bats found in one parking lot alone.

Heat may have thrown off the radar of some of the recent bat crashes. Or, they also have difficulty navigating when they have rabis (quite common in bats). Rabid bats are very contageous.

Happy dreams to those of you who have been bat struck.
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 23:25   #16
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Heat may have thrown off the radar of some of the recent bat crashes. Or, they also have difficulty navigating when they have rabis (quite common in bats). Rabid bats are very contageous.

Happy dreams to those of you who have been bat struck.
There has only been 1 case of rabies in the UK in the last 100 years. Funnily enough it came from a bat bite. :)
Unread 7 Aug 2006, 23:32   #17
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

I like the feed back from this thread. Apparently flat mates still reporting more bats here tonight If interested? http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2005/797 Something from a different department where I work.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote