User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 16 Nov 2005, 18:37   #1
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society
Xp home --> xp pro

I've got a copy of xp pro. It'll work on my laptop in theory... Now, the problem is:

I have xp home on my laptop right now. Apparently, half my school programs won't work with home ed. so thus I need pro. I'm not fully certain how to do it though The only instructions I've seen have to do with a blank system and installing an OS for the first time.

I have several games/saves/fun stuff on my computer that I want saved and converted over. If I go and attempt to install pro over home, how much of my stuff can be saved and more specifically, how do I go about making sure it's saved?

This may sound kind of noobish, but my knowledge of windows and it's quirks is sorely lacking =/

Sigh.

Help?
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 19:24   #2
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Xp home --> xp pro

Avoid upgrade options in case they are offered.

Back up your savegames, personal files, software keys etc. - during the XP Pro installation you delete theXP Home partition, create a new one and install into that. Then once it is installed and you re-updated all drives, patches, software - you restore your savegames and personal files.

Yes it is really a b*atch to do and you probably will forget to backup a few things, but this way the resulting system is clean and stable. Using any "update" option from XP Pro if it sees your XP Home partition will likely result in a unstable system.

You should do one imagebackup from the XP Home partition just in case you forget to backup something really important and after your XP Pro system is done and running cleanly, you should do a imagebackup from that. Acronis Trueimage or Norton Ghost are good choices for that.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 19:48   #3
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Thank ye

One curiousity... when you say 'unstable' ... what's going to go boom or can go boom easily if I were to use the microsoft upgrade bit?
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 20:01   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

btw if you are going to do this you may want to download autopatcher so it can get you up and running faster (its a patch system for winxp that updates it with all the latest patches and service packs so you dont have to wait for them all to download)

google for autopatcher
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 00:38   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

autopatcher rocks

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 02:40   #6
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
One curiousity... when you say 'unstable' ... what's going to go boom or can go boom easily if I were to use the microsoft upgrade bit?
Thats difficult to answer "in general" - it depends on the installed applications/services/patches

Lets say that the "upgrade" of the OS while keeping the installed applications and data on it, likely creates inconsistency because dependancy rules of applications cant be upheld and at the very least results in configuration mismatches.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 21:07   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just out of curiosity, but have you tried your programs on XP Home ?

AFAIK the only differences between Pro and Home are to do with domain networking.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 21:08   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Oh and I believe that a program called TweakNT could become your newest bestest friend.

That's if you can find the fecking thing.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 28 May 2006, 19:46   #9
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it could involve domain networking if you have to use VPN or something to get access to them, seems odd though.
Unread 29 May 2006, 01:59   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah I don't really see why they shouldn't work on XP Home. The only real differences are the already mentioned domain networking, and a few other bits like roaming profiles and other "corporate" features.

Out of interest, who told you that you needed pro and why, and what did they base that on?
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 15:13   #11
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Don't see any reasons of choosing pro edition before home edition.Possible to get a chance to try out beta tests of Vista. Tbh if your going to buy a ms os atm, i think you should consider Media Center. Media Center is just like XP, but with a few more features.

If you got more time then money, then try betatesting Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsvista/
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 15:17   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

if you do decide to beta test vista, remember that it is precisely that, a beta and is likely to be more unstable and buggy then xp pro, or vista when its finished will be (cough)
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 18:21   #13
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Yeah I don't really see why they shouldn't work on XP Home. The only real differences are the already mentioned domain networking, and a few other bits like roaming profiles and other "corporate" features.

Out of interest, who told you that you needed pro and why, and what did they base that on?
I really should have been paying attention to this forum. Thanks for the comments guys.

Megla: To answer your question, I have a few programs that I get free from school because I'm in Computer Systems Tech. Most of these require xp pro to function. More specifically, my version of visual studio, SQL server, amongst others. xp Home also doesn't come with IIS, nor is it able to do the ASP.net bits that I need (in visual studio)... xp pro can.

Otherwise, you are correct... I really don't need it. Just... I have a messy project season coming up in september, and I'd like to be able to use my laptop to run the programs I need, as opposed to relying on the school computers solely