User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Nov 2002, 21:56   #1
Lord Boredom

Onions

Right.

I decided to be adventuous for supper tonight.
I'm cooking some onions with my pasta... just fryin em in veg oil... then adding them to the sauce when I cook that.

The question is... how the **** do you cook onions?

Which bits do you eat?
I think tonight must be the first time I've ever cut up an onion.

And there's this freaky brown bit in the middle.

Help pls.
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 21:58   #2
Recon
Notice Me!!! Notice Me!!!

Recon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to all
1. Take all the outer skin off
2. Cut Onion in half
3. Chop the two halves of onions(dice into small bits)
4. Slam into frying pan
5. Eat

is how i would do it
He isn't what I would call a menace but he is like a child trapped in a fat child with cerebal palsy's body which is wrapped in denim.He seemed to always bitch at everything that ever happened ever even if it was a post that read "SUNDAY8PM IS THE KING OF THE SOCIAL SCENE!" he would still bitch about it. Oh and it's a well known fact that if you mash Sunday8pm's face into a keyboard, the words "More Hula Hoops Please" will mysteriously appear on screen every time.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:00   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You don't cook onions, you bake them.

Just remove the outer paper-like skin, top and bottom, chop it into pieces, melt butter (special baking butter, not regular) or heat olive oil in a pan, throw onions in, bake until light-brown.
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:03   #4
Recon
Notice Me!!! Notice Me!!!

Recon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
what...

the ****?
He isn't what I would call a menace but he is like a child trapped in a fat child with cerebal palsy's body which is wrapped in denim.He seemed to always bitch at everything that ever happened ever even if it was a post that read "SUNDAY8PM IS THE KING OF THE SOCIAL SCENE!" he would still bitch about it. Oh and it's a well known fact that if you mash Sunday8pm's face into a keyboard, the words "More Hula Hoops Please" will mysteriously appear on screen every time.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:05   #5
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Not quite sure how exactly you want to eat the onions..

if you just put some canola oil in a sauce pan, and then fry the onions in with it, that works, but as I gather from your post, you want to put the onions in your sauce. There shouldn't really be any difference, other than the fact that you should cut them up into smaller portions. Also you may want to put them in raw and cooking them up with your sauce.

But the onion is as follows:

Skin (should come off easily. if cooked, this turns brownish-black and tastes like ****) - Edible, but crap. just peel it off.

Onion - the part that makes you cry. Anything else in the onion tastes good. And is edible

The brown stuff you talked about - I've never had this come up, and therefore have no clue what you're talking about.

Oh yeah, you need to chop off the stem and root before cooking. Well, you don't have to, but you should.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:06   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Cooking is what you do when you submerge food into boiling water until it's hot.

Baking is what you do to food which you throw into a frying pan with oil or baking butter. Most meat, for example.
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:06   #7
Lord Boredom

thx everyone...

god onions are *******s. My eyes still ****ing sting.
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:09   #8
Lord Boredom

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai

The brown stuff you talked about - I've never had this come up, and therefore have no clue what you're talking about.

Right...

well I'm probably eating some kind of onion freak then.

Oh well.
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:09   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Cooking is what you do when you submerge food into boiling water until it's hot.
Boiling

Quote:
Baking is what you do to food which you throw into a frying pan with oil or baking butter. Most meat, for example.
Frying.

Baking=cooked in an oven.

Broiled==grilled=cooked under a grill.

And wtf is baking butter?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:57   #10
Nashmeister

Quote:

This is why Netherlandish food is bad.

Leshy reads, "mix, pour, etc, BAKE for 25 minutes".
Leshy then puts his cake or cupcake batter in a pan and fries it for 25 minutes, thus giving him a cake in the shape of a pancake.
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 22:59   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Nashmeister

This is why Engerlish food is bad.

Leshy then puts his cake or cupcake batter in a pan and fries it for 25 minutes, thus giving him a cake in the shape of a pancake.
'Scuse me, what does Leshy's cooking have to do with English food?
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 23:03   #12
Nashmeister

Sorry... I just assumed... Engerlish food is bad though.

You know what is REALLY good though? Danish bakeries... I went to a little town in California, the whole town was Danish. The roofs were funny looking, there were lots of overweight blonde women with very low voices, and the only stores were quilt stores and bakeries. Needless to say, I didn't buy any quilts, but I must've had at LEAST a dozen macaroons, 3 danishes, 1 was cream cheese, one was grape, and one was cherry... Then I had a cinnamon crunchy thing, it was quite good, along with a miniature chocolate cake. I think it's called a "peti-four", or something of the sort...
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 23:12   #13
The_MilkMan

One life I'm gonna live it up
I'm takin' flight I said i'll never get enough
Stand tall I'm young and kinda proud
I'm on top as long as the music's loud

If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by
You're thinkin' like a fool cause it's a case of do or die
Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had
You think I'll let it go you're mad
You've got some onion rings comin'

That's right here's where the talkin' ends
Well listen this night there'll be some action spent
Drive hard I'm callin' all the shots
I got an ace card comin' down on the rocks

If you think I'll sit around while you chip away my brain
Listen I ain't foolin' and you'd better think again

In this world we're livin' in we have our share of sorrow
Answer now is don't give in aim for a new tomorrow

Oh so hot no time to take a rest yeah
Act tough ain't room for second best
Real strong got me some security
Hey I'm a big smash I'm goin' for infinity yeah

If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by
You're thinkin' like a fool cause it's a case of do or die
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 23:37   #14

i am an ace cook, but if you really want your pasta acely you use sliced and 'filtered' tomatoes, garlic and lots of herbs (i do not know their names in english :\ )

also mushrooms and unions .. but you just put this in the fried meat later on.

a what the hell i am not going to explain this heh

heathens
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 00:10   #15
Nashmeister

Maybe you could cook up a nice meal for Jboy and he wouldn't delete your account... it was a bit harsh.
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 02:35   #16
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Theamion!

also mushrooms and unions ..

im sure the union rep will have something to say about cooking his unions.

To get these onions cooked as he so desires for his pasta, he should cut off the top and bottom and the skin, then dice them up.

Dice by cutting in half, laying one half flat and cutting it sideways, but not the whole way through, so it doesnt all come apart, just cut nearly to the end. Then cut it the opposite way, thus dicing it.

after this is down, he heats his oil in a pan waiting until the oil goes really runny (it takes a while to work out how to tell if its hot just from the oil), or just until you think its hot enough. then turn it down an ickle bit and flip them round until they look like they should.

And the brown bits in the middle is either where the onion has grown extra skin on the inside, or its rotten. If its the former, then just discard the extra skin, if its the latter, throw it out

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 03:03   #17
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Just remove the outer paper-like skin, top and bottom, chop it into pieces, melt butter (special baking butter, not regular) or heat olive oil in a pan, throw onions in, bake until light-brown.
rmeind me never to let u bake me a cake

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 03:30   #18
Nashmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by Nashmeister

This is why Netherlandish food is bad.

Beat you to it Homer!

My wit is unmatched.
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 16:27   #19
rokin2bo

Quote:

frying pan = fry, surely?
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 20:59   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
[b]
Boiling

Frying.

Baking=cooked in an oven.

Broiled==grilled=cooked under a grill.

And wtf is baking butter?
Mental note: British kitchen = evil.

(Also, the dutch/english translations don't work too well as you can both use a frying pan to "bak" and to "braad", whereas when something you put in the oven you "bak" it.

Also, what I referred to as baking butter should then be probably called something like "frying butter" - which is a kind of butter you use to fry your meat in.
Unread 11 Nov 2002, 21:23   #21
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Also, what I referred to as baking butter should then be probably called something like "frying butter" - which is a kind of butter you use to fry your meat in.
I just use a griddle so no oil is required
das blinkenlights!!!