User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Dec 2003, 21:09   #1
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point
Improve stored scans

Give us the ability to delete stored scans, and to sort it somehow, now its only sorted by tick and type, not by coords who is realy irritating when you have scanned 200 planets in 1 tick..
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2003, 18:01   #2
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Re: Improve stored scans

Hey, it's progress from text files.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 06:26   #3
waffle
Eclipse 4 Life

waffle is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want that damned "Scan failed due to subspace interference" message. Fkin annoying...when all that matters is you have more amps than they have distorters. You don't lose resources when that shows up, it's a complete waste of my time. And yes, i was a scan planet this round, so i got this message many times.
<cheerios> just a heads up if you're drunk or summit
<[DC]waffle> fkin n00b
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 18:00   #4
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle
I just want that damned "Scan failed due to subspace interference" message. Fkin annoying...when all that matters is you have more amps than they have distorters. You don't lose resources when that shows up, it's a complete waste of my time.
It had a nasty habit of showing up when you were trying to JGP with 30 second until the tick.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2003, 02:49   #5
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Just a few thoughts, but what would be wanted from scan storage exactly?

Looking at the thread I see:
- Ability to sort scans by one of a selection of different things in either ascending or descending order. (Coordinates, Timestamp,Type, and maybe have an option to order primarily by one thing, then secondarily the other)
- Perhaps it would be good to have an option to select a particular range of scans to be displayed on the list. For example display all scans from galaxy 1:1 between ticks 1000 and 1005
- Ability to add scans by ID which are scanned by another planet removing the need to search IRC logfiles for the URL of a particular scan.
- Ability to delete old scans to clear up your list.
- Possibly controversial - if a planet exiles then have the listed coordinates update accordingly. So a scan on planet 1:2:2 woudl change to a scan on planet 5:4:2 if that was where the exile happened. Would this however make it too easy to track a planet around the universe? Personally I'd say there was no harm in it, since it's easy enough to track a planet anyway by simply looking up the planet name.

Comments?
Unread 29 Dec 2003, 12:17   #6
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe scans could be stored for your entire alliance; in the good old xanadu days we had a page where you could browse the universe. On this page the most recently stored scans on a planet in a galaxy were reachable from this page. I always liked being able to look at some targets before I actually needed to do new scans.
Unread 29 Dec 2003, 23:44   #7
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbij
Maybe scans could be stored for your entire alliance; in the good old xanadu days we had a page where you could browse the universe. On this page the most recently stored scans on a planet in a galaxy were reachable from this page. I always liked being able to look at some targets before I actually needed to do new scans.
Could this result in the problems of old where alliances were very powerful simply because they had dedicated scanner planets?
I agree that this could be a good thing to include in the alliance systems though. It would effecively mean that an alliance member couldn't do a scan without everyone in the alliance knowing about it.
If it were included would you want to be able to differentiate between scans made on hostile planets, and scans made on friendly planets, or should that be an option set by the HC to either have no differentiation, or to only have certain officer levels able to see such things?
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 00:04   #8
Killerbij
Roidhumper

I think every alliance has at least one scan planet these days. I don't think it would create a 'new' not present kind of problem. If anything it would enable the newbie alliances without good coders to have access to the same tools.

I don't think a distinction between friendly and hostile planets should be made. If friendly planet scans wouldnt be stored they would soon stand out when browsing the universe. I dont see any benefit to not including scans on alliance owned planets. But maybe someone else knows a valid point not to include these?
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 00:09   #9
A2
#planetarion

Something Phil^ brought up...
What about storing combat reports in a similar way so they don't expire?
Can't see the harm in it personally and it would make quite a nice record. Of course they'd have to not appear in News Scan type things after 72 hours same as normal or scans would get stupidly large.
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 11:43   #10
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Think that would be very cool
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 22:40   #11
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

When attacks was on at ingame alliance, scans where shown if ppl scanned them.
But if you scan someone and the whole alliance see's it . not to good I belive .
What if like 20 more ppl things : He was nice . I'm attacking him .
Then 21 People are attacking the same guy , and that would leed to overkill ( if there are any overkill at all , since Karmulian could not tell if there overkill or not )

Would be bether if HC's could post scans without starting an attack at all.
Spritfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2004, 23:20   #12
Killerbij
Roidhumper

I refuse to belief alliance HCs have no power over their own members.

Also scanplanets will more than likely not scan single gals, the entire universe will show up over time on your alliance browsing page. The date of the scans shouldnt be shown when browsing the universe in the alliance scan mode (it should show on the stored scan when clicking the appropriate link). That way alliance hcs can still keep attack targets secret.

Also I think you misunderstand how storing scans would work in my idea. Instead of having to upload scans each time, each scan done by an alliance member ends up on the alliance universe browsing screen. When a new scan is done of a planet an older scan will automatically be removed. (Just storing the latest scans) So you wouldnt need to upload scans, nor would scans 'uploaded' be limited to attacks.