User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 13 Feb 2009, 03:03   #1
Slowhand
Man and the Blues

Slowhand is an unknown quantity at this point
iPhone application

To Fubra and the new owners:

I've been pissing around with a couple of iphone apps recently, imob and mafia live. Both are relatively simple tick based rpg's, not a patch on the complexity and playability of planetarion, but they make so much money through people paying a small fee for the application and purchasing credits, much like the credit system in PA. It's an ideal platform for such games, and the perfect opportunity to advertise pa to the wider community and profit from it.

PA is entirely web based anyway, I don't think it would be too difficult to code a mirror of the site but with more accessible parsing onto an iphone/smartphone screen. I'm thinking along the lines of the facebook application if you are familiar with it. Imagine never missing a tick for being away from your computer - along with the colloquay IRC client already available for iphone you might never get caught short by those cheeky 5am roiding parties.

Get on it Fubra.
Slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2009, 10:21   #2
emp

emp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: iPhone application

amm nice idea, but the question has to be asked, what wrong with just using planetarion.com
[Round 29] Denial
[Round 30] Ascendancy
emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2009, 10:32   #3
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

See http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197455 from posts 7 and downwards as for why an iphone application is not a great idea without a means of it recovering the costs involved.

A better solution would be to simply make planetarion.com serve up a mobile browser friendly version for certain user agents.
Unread 13 Feb 2009, 12:07   #4
Slowhand
Man and the Blues

Slowhand is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably the easiest option for sure would be making a web app, also accessible by the other next gen web browsing phones. I still think the web app of facebook on the iphone is better than the actual app. Something to think about anyway. There is just too much going on with a full browser over 3g on that small screen at the moment.
Unread 14 Feb 2009, 16:28   #5
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

A planetarion iphone application is far easier to stumble accross than "www.planetarion.com".
Having the application on your iphone encourages you to go back to it, having the url in your browser history doesn't really do the trick.
Both of these are huge advantages as we're looking to a. increase playerbase and b. make sure that as many people who sign up don't just login once and forget about it.
Unread 14 Feb 2009, 19:09   #6
Ace
PA Team

Ace is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the rough

I dont get it

I just use the browser on the iPhone and made a link on my springboard.
now i just tap on the PA icon and my browser opens with the login screen.

Saves making a PA app
#multihunters
----------------------------
Former HC - Conspiracy Theory -
- Proud to have served as -
- High Commander and CEO -
[]LCH[] ...lets change history
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote