User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:31   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Battle Royale

Not a particularly impressive movie, just gratuitous violence. Not that there's anything wrong with gratuitous violence, though I don't think Commando is particularly impressive either.

It's the kind of film you'd think would make some kind of social point but in the end just doesn't bother.

Never mind, it's back to watching Hollywood movies for me, at least they have less plot holes.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:34   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You're wrong.

So very wrong.

[insert RadicalEdward post about the presenter girl]
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:35   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: Battle Royale

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Not a particularly impressive movie, just gratuitous violence. Not that there's anything wrong with gratuitous violence, though I don't think Commando is particularly impressive either.

It's the kind of film you'd think would make some kind of social point but in the end just doesn't bother.

Never mind, it's back to watching Hollywood movies for me, at least they have less plot holes.
it rocked

go away

Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:35   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
blasphemy.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:36   #5
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

[insert RadicalEdward post about the presenter girl]
aah the video training girl

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:36   #6
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
heh, I thought some people would say that.
But why was it good?
Who knows, I might even see the error of my ways
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:43   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It has everything a good film needs!

A good script!
Good cinematography!
Japanese women!
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 12:52   #8
Radical Edward

I could make some comments about cinematography and methods used to disarm the audience, but I will just say it was ace. Furthermore it was different from hollywood, which seem to be all samey and glitzy.

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 13:19   #9
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

It was very well made, I'll give it that. It's just that there wasn't much there. The only point the film had was in delivering violence. I expected a lot more after having heard how good it supposedly is.

Plus the ending was done incredibly badly. As I said, full of plot holes. The kids' actions make no sense. I won't go in to it here, don't want to spoil it for anyone.
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 13:21   #10
Radical Edward

Quote:
I won't go in to it here, don't want to spoil it for anyone.
go on, you may as well.

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 13:31   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Thread fixed
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 13:38   #12
Dookie Velvet
Banned

Dookie Velvet is an unknown quantity at this point
Since we're on the subject of a crap film that everyone seems to think is pretty ace, I'd like to mention the The Shawshank Redemption and then scurry away.
Dookie Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 13:39   #13
Radical Edward

it looks like people thinking ace things are crap is the new ace thing. hopefully it will become a victim of itself and become crap.

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:05   #14
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Thread fixed
OK. Might as well put some spoilers in now that it says it on the thread title:

Things started going pear shaped when that ex-winner with the shotgun pretended to kill the two other survivors. All the organisers needed to do was look at their readings and realise they were still alive.

I dunno, maybe I missed something. I didn't even get why the shotgun guy was there in the first place. The other "transfer" volunteered, but he didn't, or at least he didn't say that he did.

The fact that the teacher got up and answered his phone after being riddled with bullets was pretty weird too.
And what was that strange substance coming out of his pistol? Very suspicious....
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:12   #15
Kegluneq

Kegluneq is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
OK. Might as well put some spoilers in now that it says it on the thread title:

Things started going pear shaped when that ex-winner with the shotgun pretended to kill the two other survivors. All the organisers needed to do was look at their readings and realise they were still alive.

I dunno, maybe I missed something. I didn't even get why the shotgun guy was there in the first place. The other "transfer" volunteered, but he didn't, or at least he didn't say that he did.

The fact that the teacher got up and answered his phone after being riddled with bullets was pretty weird too.
And what was that strange substance coming out of his pistol? Very suspicious....
1. The neckbands weren't working. The hacker disabled them.
2. The shotgun guy had been kidnapped, to make the contest more interesting. (The more serial killers the better.)
3. Humour, plus the bullets are all considerably underpowered, to prevent smartarses sniping from across the island.
4. Water.
Kegluneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:20   #16
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Kegluneq
2. The shotgun guy had been kidnapped, to make the contest more interesting. (The more serial killers the better.)
3. Humour, plus the bullets are all considerably underpowered, to prevent smartarses sniping from across the island.
4. Water.
thanks for saving me the effort

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:24   #17
Kegluneq

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
thanks for saving me the effort
No problem.
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:45   #18
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Kegluneq
4. Water.
When the dynamic trio hacked into the computer systems the clever one said it would take 15 minutes before they got their systems working again. Which was why they had to act quickly to drive their pick up truck into the building.
Even if he had disabled them Shotgun Man had no way of knowing this, making his fake killing completely non sensical.

And the teacher's gun didn't seem to be spurting out water to me. The stuff looked all white and icky :/
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 14:59   #19
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

The answer to the question you have always been asking:

Which Battle Royale character are you?
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 15:03   #20
Radical Edward

Quote:

Even if he had disabled them Shotgun Man had no way of knowing this, making his fake killing completely non sensical.
at the end Kitano said that Kawada had hacked the system.

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 15:05   #21
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by idimmu
That's because it was loaded with cum.
was it? I thought it was water tbh, not that it really matters either way, it's not as if it is a plot flaw.

Unread 11 Jun 2003, 15:22   #22
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
at the end Kitano said that Kawada had hacked the system.
Yeah, but he was wrong. It was Mitsumo (not sure if I got the name correct there, the guy with the terrorist uncle) who did it, but teacher bloke had no way of knowing this so he just assumed it was Kawada.
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 15:39   #23
Radical Edward

Quote:
Yeah, but he was wrong. It was Mitsumo (not sure if I got the name correct there, the guy with the terrorist uncle) who did it, but teacher bloke had no way of knowing this so he just assumed it was Kawada.
seperate events. Kawada has been out of BR for a while, and hacked the sytem as well. Kitano knows this because when he set Kawada's necklace to explode Kawada didn't bother. and said you know how to deactivate it.

watch it again I think before you start complaining about plot flaws.

Last edited by Radical Edward; 11 Jun 2003 at 15:46.
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 17:59   #24
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
How the hell can you have spoilers for a film that's been out for ages?
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 18:31   #25
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I LOVE SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE ITS JAPANESE
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 19:05   #26
Kegluneq

Quote:
Originally posted by Deepflow
Stop spoiling it. We like arty pretentious American films as well.

(Edit: And gratuitously violent ones as well.)
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 22:19   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Deepflow
I like Battle Royale because it's a good film.

But, each to their own...
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:19   #28
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
I've heard good things about this and intend to find myself a copy one day.
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:32   #29
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: Battle Royale

Quote:
It does make a social point, one you have obviously missed. Go and watch it again, and pay attention this time.

The gratuitous violence is a central theme in the film, indeed the main plotline is that they are put on the island to kill each other, or be killed. Whereas, in Commando, the gratuitous violence is not there as the main element of the storyline, it's just an Arnie cash cow - he looks good killing people with machine guns.

Battle Royale is perhaps one of the perfect films.

ps: don't forget the japenese school girls.
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:34   #30
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
the guy with the shotgun, hadnt he gone back to avenge his GF?????????????????
Unread 11 Jun 2003, 23:41   #31
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
it was good

not amazing though. just a fairly pleasant way to spend 2 hours (was it two hours?) of my life. I probably wouldn't see it again, knowing what happens etc.

but of course, thats just my opinion, and you guys are just giving your opinions. which is nice.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 08:07   #32
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner_0
the guy with the shotgun, hadnt he gone back to avenge his GF?????????????????
he was kidnapped, but played to avenge his girlie.

BR2 looks fun.

Unread 12 Jun 2003, 08:56   #33
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Re: Re: Battle Royale

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
It does make a social point, one you have obviously missed. Go and watch it again, and pay attention this time.

The gratuitous violence is a central theme in the film, indeed the main plotline is that they are put on the island to kill each other, or be killed. Whereas, in Commando, the gratuitous violence is not there as the main element of the storyline, it's just an Arnie cash cow - he looks good killing people with machine guns.

Battle Royale is perhaps one of the perfect films.

ps: don't forget the japenese school girls.
Next you'll be telling me that Running Man was a cutting criticism of modern day society.
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 09:20   #34
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
apparently BR2 loses what plot BR1 had :/
probably still an ok film though
Unread 12 Jun 2003, 09:35   #35
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner_0
apparently BR2 loses what plot BR1 had :/
probably still an ok film though
I haven't heard that said. still the rules are different and that at least will make for something. I hear that the opening scene is of Nanahara blowing up the government building in Tokyo (two big towers... heh) which will be controversial, and I bet the Americans won't like it.