User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Jun 2006, 23:34   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Worker ants

Why do you bother? Seriously.

I'm quite acutely aware that my life perspective is tainted somewhat by being crazy, but what i consider really crazy is the mentality of people who are quite happy to work dead end jobs or low paying jobs or low satisfactory jobs "because they have to pay the bills somehow" or because theres no other way.

Well, whats the point of continuing then? Seriously. If you get job satisfaction and you dont dread getting up in the morning, more power to you, im talking to the people who dont.

Are the other parts of your life and your recreational time so wonderful that you're willing to submit yourself to abject agony for 40 hours a week? Are you one of these people that can sell themselves short by placing stock in the value of holidays, or weekends? Deep down everyone who does these things knows they are lying to themselves, but i suppose mastering that art of doublethink is crucial to surviving.

But why should you want to betray yourself like that? Fool yourself into that state? Obviously its beneficial for the government and our wonderfully awesome capitalist economy and pyramidical society, but whats in it for you?

Following on from my last thread; i have decided (with very weak resolve right now) that i dont ever want to work again, at something i dont enjoy. If i had half a testicle, if any of us did, we would stop doing things we dont want to until we are physically forced.

For me, i would personally rather go down in a blaze of glory in the next month or two than live a long mediocre life on poor wages with no satisfaction. I am in a place right now where i can honestly say i doubt i could work a 40 hour week - not even one - because im unable to handle pressure, responsibility, duty, timetables or anything. So i'll go into a lot of debt, and i'll give this uni thing and satisfaction through career thing one go, but if i cant get it, then i'm not going to waste any more time trying for it, and i can see me going on quite an unbelievably awesome downward spiral.

PS. The sane parts of me wonder how i havent been committed, institutionalised, or been deemed criminally insane yet, as i feel my attitude of "no" right now is so at odds with the general feel of society that im a pretty dangerous person

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 23:51   #2
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Worker ants

Some people enjoy their jobs. I know not many, but I worked at a place where everyone always complained about their jobs. It was a shitty atmosphere. I asked them why not do something you enjoy then? I would get non-answers. I don't think they were complaining because they actually wanted to do anything other than moan. For these people, I would agree with you.

Personally I see work as a way to become a part of something (at least for a short time). I have yet to really have a career or a real job. I was in the Marines for 5 years, then in school for 5, and then I had a year and a half of working at a big irrigation manufacturer, and now I am back in school. The year in the corporate sector was pretty depressing, those days just about dissapeared and I ended up hating going to work, and then I got laid off, which was a great way to end a shit job.

I really hope that I can find work that will help substantiate me. I've been such a leech on society all my life - fostercare, military, grants and schools for loans, and now my wife while I go to school. My goal is to pay back for all of that. I know I'm a bit of an idealist, and more than likely it wont turn out that way. I'm terrified of having my life all laid out before me, that my life will just boil down to the same thing, the same people everday, the same job, the same everything. I don't think I could stand it. I think that if it turned out to be the way you describe it, deffeh, I'd find something else to do. Meet new people, go somewhere new, etc.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 00:23   #3
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

depends really - when i was working in my part time dead end job I did enjoy the utter lack of responsibility required by it even if it was shit at times.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 00:44   #4
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Deep down everyone who does these things knows they are lying to themselves, but i suppose mastering that art of doublethink is crucial to surviving.
For this kind of statement you should be taken to the ministery of love.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 01:16   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The benefits of dead end jobs are they they fuel the rage you need to become a serial killer.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 01:20   #6
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
The benefits of dead end jobs are they they fuel the rage you need to become a serial killer.
Let's go postal
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:23   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

they work because their bodies need to eat and food is not free.

because you are not brave enough to kill yourself you lash out at others.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:25   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
because you are not brave enough to kill yourself you lash out at others.
Pot, Kettle, Black

Need I say more ?

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:26   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Need I say more ?
something intelligent.

at least then your post might obtain novelty value
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:29   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
something intelligent.

at least then your post might obtain novelty value
Have you been saving that one all for me ?

I'm flattered.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:31   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Have you been saving that one all for me ?

I'm flattered.
yes Taio I think of nothing but you
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:43   #12
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
yes Taio I think of nothing but you
That's nice, I just think of you as nothing.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:48   #13
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
That's nice, I just think of you as nothing.
because I care
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 05:55   #14
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Was that you pretending to be Gordon ?

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 09:57   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe at one point I cared about my job, but unfortunately the whole political side of the business world and the fact that to the customers I am little more than a product has driven the drive out of me.

However I was smart enough to identify this and decide to move on, the unfortunate part is I'm under contract to continue work with the company in lew of the training costs to send me away on various courses required for the job. I geuss until that expires I have little choice but to continue on, I'm not familier with contract law here but I'm geussing it's more in the employers favour should I decide to break it.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 15:36   #16
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not many people in the UK work for a subsistance, they work to 'better' theirselves according to their worldview/philosophy/delusion. Given that we permit 'pop culture' to fill a void in education it's no great surprise that the product is deplorable.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 16:16   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why do you bother? Seriously.
Beer money. Why, have you worked out a way of getting it for free?
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 17:38   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is your drinking life enjoyable enough to make up for your working "life" ? What about the teetotal? What indeed is the point of going on?

I consider myself to have the philosophy here of an articulate crack addict. "If things dont work, just one more hit, from somewhere - **** the concequences etc". There is no real motivation for me to "get by" and "do things that need to be done" and i wonder what it is for everyone else

Unread 17 Jun 2006, 17:44   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Is your drinking life enjoyable enough to make up for your working "life" ? What about the teetotal? What indeed is the point of going on?
Yeah. It also helps pay for such things as holidays and college next year. I get through usually just off money from poker but I enjoy being able to not worry about money at all and go buy a game or a book or whatever I feel like. I don't intend on working nine to five for the rest of my life mind!
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 19:39   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Are the other parts of your life and your recreational time so wonderful that you're willing to submit yourself to abject agony for 40 hours a week?
Yes. By far.

I do not work to live (as such) - I could go on the dole (/JSA/whatever) and I indeed know a few people who seem to survive for long periods with official / real employment. However, you tend to have to accept certain sacrifices (e.g. living with family members, low levels of social activity, etc) and in general it's not worth it.

Having a certain standard of living is fairly addictive (for want of a better term) and although I often think that in some point in the future I want to cut down my working week to four days (excluding debt I could easily live on 80% of my salary, and in the future I could probably live on 3 days wages per week if I got a slight pay rise) I'm not sure that will ever happen though - despite my best efforts there's always something that money needs to go on. It would also become quite difficult to socialise with friends if our incomes was significantly out of synch (this already happens). In general most people I've met have some sort of "dream" that sustains them of quitting the working life (retiring to Spain, quitting it all and going back to school, opening a bar, that sort of thing) and in many ways it's unimportant whether you actually achieve this.

Of course, I fantasise about quitting my job when I'm sitting at work on a Tuesday morning with a comedown, but this is rarely serious. And I generally reflect that my working life now is vastly superior to what it was a few years ago (when I was effectively working in a call centre).

Also, work can be rewarding. Even in a slightly warped capitalist economy the things that get done by (some of) us do "need" doing in some sense. Although it's hardly the high point of my life, I do get some reward from the projects I work on and the knowledge that my work is doing x or y. This motivation will probably vary from individual to individual.

There's also the issue that if I did somehow come into money and could therefore live my "weekend" lifestyle every single day then I would almost certainly be dead fairly quickly. Sometimes it does feel like I'm living for the weekend, but perhaps it's a good thing that I have 5 days a week where I can recover.
Quote:
Are you one of these people that can sell themselves short by placing stock in the value of holidays, or weekends? Deep down everyone who does these things knows they are lying to themselves
I'm not sure if you're serious, but you should probably avoid claims of telepathy. Who knows if people deep down "know" they are lying to themselves? Perhaps some do, but I'm not sure how you can make such a claim for all humanity.

I don't really place much value in holidays, but I can see why people do. One of my colleagues once spent over £10k on one holiday (he earns approximately £30k a year before tax) and although he freely admits this is excessive he says that the memories he has from that trip will be with him always, etc. Sure, he could have spread that money across five years shopping (and therefore bought slightly higher quality toilet paper or something) - but what is he going to remember on his death bed?

edit : I would say that in a slightly different economic structure there would be more incentive / pressure towards leisure time. The reason why this doesn't occur now is fairly straight-forward but this quote from a mailing list I'm on is semi-relevant here - although I don't know how true it is :
"In Jamaica (after the abolition of slavery) even at very low wages
workers could live for a week (no heating or clothing expense) on just a
few hours work. They introduced a head tax to make wage labor necessary."
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 20:14   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Worker ants

Quote:
Why do you bother?
I don't.

Testify, brother.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 20:32   #22
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

There's a growing spate of suicides in young people around Ireland (as I'm sure is the case elsewhere) and many people are questioning why this should be.
Well from the people I've known who've been in that situation or around it, it would appear to be the drudgery of the future and the hollowness of how we live right now.
Working to get money to eat isn't really the issue for most people. There are truely very few people left on such a poverty line here at the moment.

It's the working to get money to do what? Drink at weekends? Buy little gadgets? Trudge along on the same path as has been laid out for those before us and those after us?
We're given asperational targets such as owning a house, a decent car etc. All of which will usually put us into debt, which we'll work off the rest of our lives.
If we could afford them, then we're programmed to lust for something even more extravagent.

And it only benifits those at the top of the pyrimid, those rich people who get richer off our backs.

And the thing is, we realise this. We know it to be true.

I'm not sure I can follow that path, but it goes against all of society around me. Like Deffeh said, if we said 'no' then we're treated as oddballs or insane.
Why? Because we don't fit that norm they are living. We don't subscribe to the society and are therefore underisable. If everyone did this, then it'd all collapse.
But would that be so bad?

We'll never know because everyone is too afraid to risk what they'd "gained" in this system. They feel that they could be moving up in the world, they could get that better lot that's just out of their reach, maybe. But if the system goes, then what? No. Can't do that. Keep plugging away and we might just get to that next rung.

The only people who will say no to this system are those with inheranty nothing to really lose. I can say I don't want any part of it, but I have nothing now.
Well not much as to be next to nothing.

So no, I don't think it's going to change. I think society depends so much on the engrained system now that it will defend it tothe hilt without thinking.
They wouldn't commit you because they might think you're a danger for not conforming to their system. They'll commit you because they'll think they are doing you a favour. Making you like them. After all, they're nomal aren't they? They're happy?
Aren't they?
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 23:46   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

The future teaches you to be alone
The present to be afraid and cold
So if I can shoot rabbits
Then I can shoot fascists

Bullets for your brain today
But we'll forget it all again
Monuments put from pen to paper
Turns me into a gutless wonder

And if you tolerate this, then your children will be next
And if you tolerate this, then your children will be next
Will be next, Will be next, Will be next

Gravity keeps my head down
Or is it maybe shame
At being so young and being so vain

Holes in your head today
But I'm a pacifist
I've walked La Ramblas
But not with real intent

And if you tolerate this then your children will be next
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next
Will be next, Will be next, Will be next, Will be next

And on the street tonight an old man plays
With newspaper cuttings of his glory days

Unread 18 Jun 2006, 00:05   #24
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I prefer this version

In the Union bar alone
Doing your best to get quite stoned
And if I can drink this
Then I can drink any old piss

Drinking this knats piss all day
I'll not drink this shit again
Watered down and full of suger
Turns me into a Wigan wonder

And if you tolerate this piss, then your bitter will be next
And if you tolerate this piss, then your bitter will be next
Will be next, Will be next, Will be next

Specific Gravity gets me down
Cos it's all the chuffin same
It's 90% water and I've pissed my pants again

Trying to get off me head again
But I'm only half pissed
Don't waste your student loan on this
Get me into a decent boozer

And if you tolerate this piss then your bitter will be next

We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 01:42   #25
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You see I see myself as someone who while id love job satisfaction its something I wont be able to attain for a few years, however when I do work I get satisfaction to a certain extent.

Firstly I get money and this is a great satisfaction. Money enables me to do things which I cant normally do. Its nice to be paid to do a job. I relish in the fact that I can work two jobs and earn about £400 a week. This will allow me to save for a deposit to rent a flat/house, to move in with some friends and take the next step in my life.

I can then live with good friends of mine and get away from my parents (I dont mind living at theres but after 3 years of living on my own I quite simply cant do so.) I can then do things that will make me happy to a certain extent.

Money is a means to end. If you have it, enjoy it. If you dont, then dont begrudge those who do.

In an ideal situation we could all work and get great job satisfaction. Money wouldnt be an issue as we would all have what we want or be provided with what we think we want and we could all live happily ever after. Unfortunately an ideal world isnt here at the moment.
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 01:44   #26
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I too don't really understand people who are happy to work low paying shitty jobs long term either. In general i just figure they're stupid. Too dumb to get a better job but also too dumb to realise how shit things are. Maybe i'm wrong.

For me i kinda view work, and by extension life, as a game. I want to get the power up and win the game. The challenges come from doing your job well and getting promoted. It's a shit game but it's pretty much all that's out there. That's why i play it.

I reckon i have 1 to 2 years tops in any job before i know it so well inside out that i get bored shitless with it. Until that point i reckon it would still be interesting enough, trying to learn the tasks required of you as best you can. That's why i think i need to be promoted every 2 years. Any longer than that and i'll start noticing bridges and tall buildings with lax window security.

As to working a job you don't like ... i started off not wanting to work. After being forced to (hunger is not cool mkay) i started playing "the game" without realising it. Now i'm a fairly competitive person so if i'm playing a game i wanna win it. Hence my current position/attitude. An attitude which is different from the one which i brought with me to the working world. I suspect/hope something similar would happen for you Def. If nothing else a job gives you an identity (as shitty as that identity may be) and therein lies comfort.
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 02:38   #27
Yahwe
I am.

IF suicide rates are so high then why have we not had one on GD?
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 02:44   #28
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

because we are a community, we support each other (plus we dont let emo whores in here)
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 11:12   #29
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There's a lot of people we haven't heard from in a while.
Who knows.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 16:15   #30
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:

Suicides, by definition, aren't able to come back here to inform us of their actions.
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 16:32   #31
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Posting to agree with yahwe.

You'll either get a job when you get too hungry or end up mooching off others forever and ever.

Also, whilst there aren't a huge number of jobs you'll enjoy for themselves (I'm just guessing here, but it seems a fair guess) there are many many more jobs where doing as little work as possible and still getting paid is a decent compromise. Look how many people use internet forums at work for example, you can still have fun when you're at work in a shit job if you aren't actually working.
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 18:32   #32
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I consider myself to have the philosophy here of an articulate crack addict.

You give yourself too much credit.

More people complain about work than really dislike their work even at the low end of the scale. Most people are happier if they are doing something which they feel is useful, even if the utility of the work is to take care of themselves and their family.

There are people who would much rather be taken care of than to take care of themselves. These people are not usually the happiest of souls. Suicide is much higher among the unemployed than it is among the employed, I would imagine.

You concentrate way too much on your own disabilities.