User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Feb 2003, 23:40   #1
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
cdr

hi i have just got a cr rw. i selected a group o mp3's and took a look at the size of them in total - sumthing below 150mb. when i tried to puit em on a cd it says that they are too big (says they are 850ishmb)

any idea why this is happening?
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 00:35   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Tell your burning software to erase the CDRW.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 00:44   #3
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: cdr

Quote:
Originally posted by SnaarffiE
hi i have just got a cr rw. i selected a group o mp3's and took a look at the size of them in total - sumthing below 150mb. when i tried to puit em on a cd it says that they are too big (says they are 850ishmb)

any idea why this is happening?
are you burning them as audio, or as data?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 01:10   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Whatever CD package you're using is assuming you want to make an audio CD.
Either that or you DO want to make an audio CD but havn't grasped the technicalities.
Audio CDs are standard uncompressed sound format only - this means an MP3 has to be inflated back to a .wav, so your 4Mb MP3 file becomes a 40Mb or so wav file prior to being written to the disc.

Unread 15 Feb 2003, 23:48   #5
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point
I was under the impression that when you burn an audio CD from MP3's, it burns them as Megla said, as uncompressed forms. But I thought the reason for the CD not being able to take all the tracks was due to the length of the songs being burned.

For example, you could fit 30 short songs onto a 70min CD as the total minutes of those songs does not exceed 70mins. It's to do with the length of song, rather than mb size of them.

Chances are, those songs are low MP3 quality, but long in length. I had that issue burning some long Led Zep songs for mother dear, that were shiet quality (a couple of mb).
Unread 15 Feb 2003, 23:59   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Length is Mb - they're one and the same thing.
This is why CDRs are refered to as 80 minutes long and 700Mb capacity for example. 74 minute CDs have a lower capacity (640Mb I think?).

So anyways, if you have a 700Mb wav thats at CDA specifications (41,000Hz, 16 bit, 2 channels) it's 80 minutes long.