User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 7 Feb 2003, 10:11   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
MS Access Help Required

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the P&Disc. Forum, but here goes.

I'm using Microsoft Access to make an orders database. I have an Order table, which stores details of each order (OrderID, CustomerID, Date of Order, Total Price, Staff Member creating).

Then I have an OrderLine Table, which contains the details of each line of the order (OrderLineID, OrderID - which links it to the original order, and Title (The primary Key of my Product Table)).

Finally I have a product table, which contains details for each product - Title/author/Publisher/Format/Price/Supplier ID.

Now what I want to do is somehow work out the total price of the order automatically. For each order, It would have to look at each Orderline entry linked to that order and use that product title to find the price from the product table, repeating this for each of the orderlines, and then adding them all together before adding it into the Order table as Total Price.

Any Idea how I'd do this? I'm guessing a VB module of some kind but I'm stumped as to how.
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 10:43   #2
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: MS Access Help Required

Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the P&Disc. Forum, but here goes.

I'm using Microsoft Access to make an orders database. I have an Order table, which stores details of each order (OrderID, CustomerID, Date of Order, Total Price, Staff Member creating).

Then I have an OrderLine Table, which contains the details of each line of the order (OrderLineID, OrderID - which links it to the original order, and Title (The primary Key of my Product Table)).

Finally I have a product table, which contains details for each product - Title/author/Publisher/Format/Price/Supplier ID.

Now what I want to do is somehow work out the total price of the order automatically. For each order, It would have to look at each Orderline entry linked to that order and use that product title to find the price from the product table, repeating this for each of the orderlines, and then adding them all together before adding it into the Order table as Total Price.

Any Idea how I'd do this? I'm guessing a VB module of some kind but I'm stumped as to how.
No idea how to do it with access, but I could probably do it with Excel. As a matter of fact Im currently working on an Excel/VBA stock/sales/user management program at the moment.

perhaps: tables("tablename").Cells(first numerical cell, second numerical cell).Value

If A and 1 are your First numerical cell and Second numerical cell then you would put in 1, 1

Maybe that will let your reference Access in VBA, check the msdn libary for the commands :/
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 11:56   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
You could use a custum SQL query to display this:

SELECT SUM(product.price) FROM orders,products WHERE product.id=order.productID AND order.id = 1

Basically what you want to use is the SUM() function of SQL. I have no idea how to implement this in access, since I've last done access a year or two ago.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 16:02   #4
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Access supports 'an implementation' of SQL (its quite messed up though... it likes parenthesis around everything). The easist way to do it would be to use the query generator to select all the price rows, then just change to SQL view and append SUM( ) round the coloumn in question.
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 21:23   #5
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice
you use a form with a subform?

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote