User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Feb 2003, 15:28   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
IRQ, DMA etc

i just reinstalled duke nukem3d ... all fun and games ofcourse but i want SOUND .. now how do i set that properly since i have no idea how to do it ...

i know i have to select a soundblast 16 or AWE 32 .. but the rest just doesnt work ...

help me to find out the addresses, irq's and dma's

please ?
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 15:36   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
start -> programs -> accessiores -> system tools -> system information

-> hardware resources -> DMA or IRQ -> profit

My audigy has IRQ 36, I don't know if you need a DMA for sound tho, as the system information node doesn't list anything that has to do with sound.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 16:08   #3
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
doesnt work .. need irq 9 .. cant set it at irq 9 nor can i find an adress
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 19:03   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
yes
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 20:57   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
My audigy has IRQ 36, I don't know if you need a DMA for sound tho, as the system information node doesn't list anything that has to do with sound.
Thats damn impressive... cos IRQs only go from 0...15

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 21:45   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit
Thats damn impressive... cos IRQs only go from 0...15
Well, don't blame me for windows displaying 36....

Or did I get the wrong node?

*checks*

Nope, it realy says 36

Code:
System Information report written at: 10/02/2003 21:49:33
[IRQs]

IRQ Number	Device
128	NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
24	Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller
28	D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Rev A)
32	Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Adapter
36	Creative SB Audigy
37	OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
14	Primary IDE Channel
15	Secondary IDE Channel
71	VIA USB Universal Host Controller
70	VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
1	PC/AT PS/2 Keyboard (84-Key)
3	Communications Port (COM2)
4	Communications Port (COM1)
6	Standard floppy disk controller
8	System CMOS/real time clock
13	Numeric data processor
12	Logitech PS/2 Port Mouse
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 21:57   #7
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
Thats messed up - a 'normal' IRQ listing (and yes, i have a lot of hardware )

System Information report written at: 10/02/2003 09:02:15 PM
[IRQs]

IRQ Number Device
9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
11 Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C/8130) PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
11 Creative SB Audigy
11 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
11 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
11 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
11 Belkin USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Host Controller
11 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver
11 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller
14 Primary IDE Channel
15 Secondary IDE Channel
12 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Audio Driver
8 System CMOS/real time clock
13 Numeric data processor
6 Standard floppy disk controller
4 Communications Port (COM1)
3 Communications Port (COM2)
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Unread 10 Feb 2003, 22:01   #8
TheShadow

TheShadow is on a distinguished road
If I am not entirely mistaken I remember having seen good old Doom giving sound while running under XP. I have also a piece of software that is supposed to give dos programs sound under Windows but can't remember the name :/
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 22:20   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I have win2k server here, perhaps it emulates other IRQ's.....

perhaps not....

Who knows.
Unread 10 Feb 2003, 22:34   #10
Mit
Let battle commence

mine is Win2k Pro, i doubt 2k server has 'extra' IRQs cos its a hardware thing

Unread 11 Feb 2003, 00:18   #11
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
New/Extra software IS NOT going to give you that many IRQ numbers, it is a hardware constraint. Period.

Oddly for me, IRQ 9 isn't being used.

Code:
IRQ 0	System timer	OK
IRQ 1	PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)	OK
IRQ 3	Lucent Win Modem	OK
IRQ 4	NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management	OK
IRQ 5	Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller	OK
IRQ 5	NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface	OK
IRQ 6	Standard floppy disk controller	OK
IRQ 7	Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller	OK
IRQ 7	NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital)	OK
IRQ 8	System CMOS/real time clock	OK
IRQ 10	MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device	OK
IRQ 11	NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200	OK
IRQ 12	Microsoft PS/2 Mouse	OK
IRQ 13	Numeric data processor	OK
IRQ 14	Primary IDE Channel	OK
IRQ 15	Secondary IDE Channel	OK
Thea, can you give us a print out that Structural Integrity has suggested.

If it isn't important then in BIOS you might be able to reserve the IRQ therefore shoving what-ever is in IRQ9 currently into an available IRQ, then you might be able to assign the sound device to IRQ9, possibly.

BTW - Mit, if you're not using the COM ports, you could remove them in BIOS to free up IRQs.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 00:28   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Luckeh (and Mit), as with so many thing's the hardware has once again been 'bodged' to try and make it go a bit further before a complete redesign.
The particular bodge in question is called APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller), which allows for much more than the traditional number interrupts available with PIC.
This seems to be an effort to reduce the problems associated with IRQ sharing.

APIC is an option in most modern BIOSs (within the last year or so) but be warned: windows can get stroppy about you turning it on or off without reinstalling. With XP, changing it's state (from off to on or on to off) it can trigger the notorious IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod on boot, so don't mess with it.

Here's mine:
Code:
IRQ 0	System timer	OK
IRQ 1	Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard	OK
IRQ 3	Communications Port (COM2)	OK
IRQ 4	Communications Port (COM1)	OK
IRQ 5	WinFast TV2000 XP WDM Audio Capture	OK
IRQ 6	Standard floppy disk controller	OK
IRQ 8	System CMOS/real time clock	OK
IRQ 9	Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System	OK
IRQ 12	PS/2 Compatible Mouse	OK
IRQ 13	Numeric data processor	OK
IRQ 14	Primary IDE Channel	OK
IRQ 15	Secondary IDE Channel	OK
IRQ 16	NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200	OK
IRQ 16	U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX	OK
IRQ 17	Creative SB Live! series	OK
IRQ 19	WinFast TV2000 XP WDM Video Capture	OK
IRQ 21	VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller	OK
IRQ 21	VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller	OK
I can't remember whether I've got APIC on or off, but as I now need to reboot anyway (yay for installing new software) I might as well check it.

Unread 11 Feb 2003, 00:32   #13
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I had a quick google, apparently it happens with machines that have Win2k Server OR ACPI enabled.

With ACPI enabled you can't actually tell what IRQs are being taken up (and by what), even though they are being displayed as such in the info tool.
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 00:40   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Well I don't know.
All I know is I've never had a problem with sound in DOS games under XP. Perhaps this is because I have an SBLive and it probably has emulation for SoundBlaster 'original' mode built in (autodetecting usually informs me I have a soundblaster on Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 5 when I try old games).

Oh and APIC is enabled on my machine btw, as is (unsurprisingly) ACPI.

Unread 11 Feb 2003, 00:57   #15
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

How can you check btw?

BIOS says it is "off", but I swear I turned it on before installing WinXP :|
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:04   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

If it says its off in the BIOS then it's almost certainly off.
Also if you have IRQs assigned over the limit of PIC (isn't 16 the upper limit? I can't remember) then that's a clue too.
Tbh it makes bugger all difference anyway.

Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:06   #17
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Code:
IRQ-nummer	Apparaat
5	Systeem dat voldoet aan Microsoft ACPI
9	NVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64
9	AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
9	3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
9	Intel 21041 Based PCI Ethernet Adapter
9	Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM)
8	Systeem-CMOS/Real-timeklok
13	Numerieke-gegevensprocessor
12	Microsoft PS/2-muis
1	Standaard- (101/102 toetsen) of Microsoft Natural PS/2-toetsenbord
6	Standaard diskettestationcontroller
4	Communicatiepoort (COM1)
3	Communicatiepoort (COM2)
14	Primair IDE-kanaal
15	Secundair IDE-kanaal
if this helps any.

need for the record : DMA, adres, IRQ ... or a program that finds that ..

this thread is sponsored by DosGames Ltd.
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:14   #18
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

ROFLMAO!!! so many on IRQ9

ok, Are you using the COM ports?

If not, disable them in BIOS to free up IRQs, then boot up into windows and check the IRQs again and see what shifted.
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:26   #19
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
ROFLMAO!!! so many on IRQ9

ok, Are you using the COM ports?

If not, disable them in BIOS to free up IRQs, then boot up into windows and check the IRQs again and see what shifted.

reboot?
Unread 11 Feb 2003, 01:44   #20
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

well... after disabling the COM ports in bios, save the changes and boot into windows again...