User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 7 Feb 2003, 16:11   #1
Calibretto

Lightbulb A funny thing once again

I dont know if Im the only or the first one to figure, but is it me or Do all those so called Veterans want this game to be as monotome as possible. They seem to dislike all new gimmiks the PA team trys to put in the game to make it a lil more interresting and not to easy for those Powerblocks to rule the game again. Reason could be that it will be a lil more complicated for those Powerblocks to rule if the game is a lil more complex. Not to mention that those Powerblocks are filled with those Veterans who always keep complaining of the lack of new players in the game as tho0 they are the biggest reason for newbs not to stay, as they kick the **** out of every randomgal lower than their size..........
No we dont want PARAs, they make the game more interesting and the tactics more complex.
No it wont work, no it cant,no no no.................
Cuz of thinking like that good ideas get lost.

Actually I considere myself something like a Veteran too as Ive been playin this game since r4 tho I am happy when this game experiences a lil change.

Thx

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN!!!
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 16:47   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A funny thing once again

Quote:
Originally posted by Calibretto
No we dont want PARAs, they make the game more interesting and the tactics more complex.
They make it easy to roid all the small random newbie galaxies in your parallel at a reduced ETA while still being able to have a cluster alliance.

Furthermore, large alliances with many galaxies will have more of their galaxies in reach with low ETA with both clusters and parallels, making defending galaxies a lot easier.
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 19:19   #3
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
As a player, I totally agree. The new things the creators are brining in, I feel, will make it much more fun. Any tactic change is good. It keeps everyone on their toes.

I for one dont want PA to be the same round after round after round, it'd just get way too boring. These changes like OB and Clusters/Parallels are great for the game.

Even if some of them are wrong and some of them dont work, actually having them in-game for a round is the only way to truely test whether something works or not.

Thumbs up from me.

Kloopy
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 19:50   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloopy
As a player, I totally agree. The new things the creators are brining in, I feel, will make it much more fun. Any tactic change is good. It keeps everyone on their toes.
Great. So how about some new tactics for R9?
Quote:
I for one dont want PA to be the same round after round after round, it'd just get way too boring. These changes like OB and Clusters/Parallels are great for the game.
I don't understand. You say OB is great yet it's getting taken out.
Quote:
Even if some of them are wrong and some of them dont work, actually having them in-game for a round is the only way to truely test whether something works or not.
I don't understand. Both clusters and parallels have been in the game in previous rounds. If you don't know what effect they'll have by now, you never will.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 20:26   #5
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Great. So how about some new tactics for R9?

'lol'. Peoples playing style will have to change for parallels -and- clusters. Thats surely tactics?

Quote:
I don't understand. You say OB is great yet it's getting taken out.
I dont say OB is great. I said that new features are great, because they keep the game alive and keep the play interesting but introducing new things. I did say that some ideas might be bad, but its the concept of new ideas that I'm all for.

Quote:
I don't understand. Both clusters and parallels have been in the game in previous rounds. If you don't know what effect they'll have by now, you never will.
We've not had them together, thats whats new about this round.

Kloopy
Unread 7 Feb 2003, 22:18   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
'lol'. Peoples playing style will have to change for parallels -and- clusters. Thats surely tactics?
If people's playing style actually did have to change then, yes, I guess it would be.
Quote:
I dont say OB is great. I said that new features are great, because they keep the game alive and keep the play interesting but introducing new things. I did say that some ideas might be bad, but its the concept of new ideas that I'm all for.
How about some actual innovation? Now that would be a new idea!
Quote:
I don't see how you can stick two old ideas together and call it a new idea. What's next? Round 2 Thieves and Pirates with Round 8 Overburn? Round 4 piggybacking with Round 1 holoroids? Round 3 cargo ships with round 6 smugglers? Oh look, there's a year's worth of "new" ideas!

Oh my. This is getting scary. :/
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2003, 00:05   #7
wakka
commander

wakka can only hope to improve
HEY

Sounds good lets do it. Leave it up tp Tactitus to think up something like that. Thing is It Might Work. great idea man. Oh hey while your at it lets combine all previous PDS including emp that way we'd have some that fires first, some that fires last, and some that freezes. that would be great...
Unread 8 Feb 2003, 09:50   #8
Kloopy
-Back Again-

See, humour rocks But I agree, they're aren't the perfect solution for making a fantastic last round, bur given our time constraints, its the best we could do. I wish we had more time to implement some of your ideas Tacticus. I love 'em.

You want innovations?! Play round ten.

And, yes, that -was- intended as another "r10 is leeet, no details" comments. In a vaguely funny sort of way...... *sigh*
Unread 8 Feb 2003, 15:49   #9
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
don't lump all 'veterans' together, i've played longer than 95% of players, i reckon, and i am looking forward to round 9, besides it's not really a real round

though i was one of the few who liked OB
Unread 8 Feb 2003, 16:35   #10
Calibretto

I surely dont mean all Veterans. But there are always a bunsh of people complaining about everything, every idea, every advances, and those are almost always the so called Veterans.
Unread 8 Feb 2003, 21:12   #11
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
'Veterans' rarely complain about new ideas, what we complain about is the specific implementation of the ideas... some examples:

Overburn was a good idea, but the implementation let people get defence too easily because of the extra hour. If the eta reduction had applied to defence and attack, we would probably not have complained.

4 Races was a good idea, but the implementation made Xanadathrii far more powerful than the other races.

...and so on.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2003, 21:19   #12
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
I wasn't going to reply, but this thread isn't right.

What calibretto fails to realise is its "the vets" which has meant there was enough community for new playrers coing int o be part of something. Its he vets that in main have put effort in to help develop the community and try and keep alliances togetehr when they fail apart.

Its the vets that teach people the basic skills to play the game properly.

Now these veterans have seen a lot of mistakes in the past, yet they feel strong enough to try and stop similar mistakes happening in future.

The list that andy provided is not the only ideas that have completely being nessed up, they were just the best ideas. I can go on with crappy ideas which have backfired like no trade off for scans and ships, like how crap tarrants were round 3 or how overly greta thiefs were round two.

With every mistake you get a sense of frustration.

PA has a great community, it has a great backbone, but whne a idea is bad, or the implementation is half assed, we have a right to say why we believe so. It also helps correct the game for future rounds.

Hopefully when you are a "vet" pl will be less critical of you and your views.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 00:47   #13
Bong
Ensign Rocker!

Bong is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You want innovations?! Play round ten.

if it ever gets here; considering the time it has taken to implement small changes for r9, how long will it take to get r10 on the road? i dread to think. to me r10 is a myth.
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 01:05   #14
Ultramar
:)

Ultramar has a spectacular aura aboutUltramar has a spectacular aura aboutUltramar has a spectacular aura about
Why does every post turn into a lets flame PA and the crew? They do what they can and we're all still here so get over it!
Ultramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 14:15   #15
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Kloopy
Erm what exactly is the difference in a 3k player universe (about 300 gals) which means every Cluster has 10 gals = 30 clusters.
30 clusters mean your gal has 29 parallel neighbours and 9 cluster neighbours a total of 38 gals. which means 380 players.
If i go back to R3-5 with 50k players and galaxys of 15 or 25 ppl in one cluster and 20-25 gals per cluster i was insame cluster with 400 or more ppl aswell, so its not really new to have 400 ppl short eta to you.

The only real difference is that you have to deal with round about 40 GC's now while in earlier round it was only 24

And i tend to agree with tacitus that actually the alliance impact on the few players left will be much stronger. Short eta Blockdefence comes to my mind as a keyword while unconnected gals or especially smaller alliances dont really benefit from it.

An opional system would be good where a gal can maybe make "relations" with other gals manually through GC or MoC which would bring then short eta defence ability between those gals.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote