User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Sep 2003, 19:59   #1
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
Unofficial "Real" Manual

Having been playing the public beta for several days, rather inactively, I've found myself doing reasonably well - which to be honest was quite a surprise. Having spent some time conversing with my beta galaxy mates tho I have realised why. It is not in anyway down to my abilities but merely the fact that I, compared to 75% of the people playing actually have a rough idea what I should be doing. Many people say "read the ****ing manual" but sadly in this case that is "****ing useless".

The current manual gives (bad) basic outlines on what each screen does, but does not really explain why it does what it does, nor does it actually help a player to understand what he or she should be doing. So as my personal effort into saving/reviving PA so this "new era" does not die before it begins I have basically written my own manual, which will hopefully give a lot of people an idea on how to actually play PaX. Obviously there are a few holes, some of the things I say may be slightly incorrect or have recently been changed, but in essence I hope it will give the general player that reads it a better understanding of 'new PA' and how it can be played on a basic level, with moderate success.

I don't mean to step on any toes or be insulting, but to be honest the current manual is the worst I have ever seen - and this is for a new completely different game. Fair enough the manual may still not be finished, but with every passing day PA is losing players who play the beta and think "**** this" - never to return. Also before a mod decides to move this to the Strategy forums, I felt it should be posted here as it is not simply 'strategy' but is a (very long) post pointing out a major flaw in the current set up of Planetation and is a 'general help' item as opposed to specific strategy.

Anyway enough of the whys and whatfors, here we go:

===

Overview:

This as in the past is where you can see your Fleet, Roids, Messages of the Day etc. This round there is a vital change. Many people have noted the lack of a Galaxy Status. This is because it is now directly on your overview. The system is not that easy to read at first nor is it the best designed, but in any case it is there. Firstly to avoid confusion any incoming ships you have are displayed at the top of your screen in the format "XXXX INCOMING HOSTILES" or "XXXX INCOMING FRIENDLIES". Further details can be found further down your screen under the "Incoming Fleets (Me)" section.

Incoming to the galaxy is listed under the "Incoming Fleets (Galaxy)" section. The "Fleet" indicates the name of the incoming fleet (not the Planet name) so in essence is actually completely useless information. The "Location" is the coords of the incoming fleet (i.e. defender or attacker) and the "Target (eta)" is obviously the targets coords and eta of the incoming. The rest of the screen should be self explanatory.

It is important to note several things early on too. All ship types are the same eta and all ships in galaxy are always eta 5. Ships attack and defend for 1 tick only, so landing etas need to match exactly (The 'delayed launch feature' is handy for this).

News, Messages, Galaxy Forums and Com Unit are all self explanatory and have nothing new that requires explaining.

Politics:

Slightly different to last round, the number of votes aren't listed, you can vote for yourself and the person with the most votes is GC. Not actually sure how its decided if the votes are level, I assume the person who is current or was GC first is made GC. With that out the way its time to point out there is no resource bonus for GC or Ministers anymore. So what can a GC and ministers actually do? Not a lot really. Set Message of the Day, appoint your ministers and change the galaxy's name and banner. MoW seems to have no functions at all, except for changing the Message of the Day, MoC is the same as previous rounds (I assume, no actual experience) and can send mass mails, MoD has the most functions - being able to control the galaxy fund (more about that later) - both the MoC and MoD can ofc also change the Message of the Day.

Alliance:

All members of the same in-game alliance will get a one hour travel time bonus for defending each other and will automatically be stopped from launching on others. If you leave your in-game alliance you will be unable to reapply for 48(?) ticks tho. Alliances can set members at levels HC, BC, PR Officer, Member and Recruit, then set Arbiter access for each level. HC and BCs can use set the Attack section and also get better information from the Defence section. My knowledge of this section is a little limited, but I know enough to know that most major alliance will hardly use any of its functions, simply functioning as they have done before, but all signed-up to the same alliance for the travel time bonus and the Alliance Rank feature (see Universe screen).

Research:

This is very different to previous rounds. Which researches you do are now not dependant on constructions you have or have not built (as with old PA), you can ofc still only do one research at a time and the further down each 'branch' you go the longer that research will take, but all branches are available from the start.

Propulsion Branch - As with before, reduces travel time out of galaxy by one tick for each level.

Refining Techniques Branch - Sets the limit on the number of mining constructions you can build.

Production Branch - As with before, allows production of bigger and better ships (requires construction of at least one factory for each level)

Wave Transmissions Branch - Same as old scan tech tree, scans are different this round tho.

Tactics Branch - Makes more advanced tactics available for use with your fleets in combat.

Agent Training Branch - Makes more advanced covert operations available.

Asteroid Mining Branch - Increases the number of asteroids you are able to mine. Note that it doesn't matter how many roids you have, this is the limit to the number you can mine for resources. Also the best Research to start with.

Constructions:

Constructions are structures you can build on your planet surface to aid you in several areas. It is important to note that these structures can be destroyed (and targeted specifically) in attacks. Only one construction can be built at a time.

Light, Medium & Large Factories - At least one of these factories is required to be able to produce ships at their respective levels of research. While there is no advantage to having more than 1 of each factory, it does mean that should your only factory at a certain level be destroyed you will be unable to produce these ships until you have rebuilt the factory.

Wave Amplifier - As with the old wave amps, these increase the chances of your scans succeeding.

Wave Distorter - As with the old wave reflectors, these decrease the chances of incoming scans on you succeeding.

Metal, Crystal & Eonium Refineries - Resource mines increasing income by 1000 per tick of their respective resource for each one built. The number of mines is limited by the level of your Refining Techniques Research.

Research Laboratory - Reduces the amount of time it takes for researches to complete. Effect is cumulative but the more you build, the less effective each new one will be (i.e. its definitely not 1 tick less for each one built).

Finance Centre - Increases your income, each one adds a small percentage bonus to income from your mined asteroids and refineries. Effect is cumulative but the more you build, the less effective each new one will be.

Security Centre - Makes it harder for people to successfully covert op you (see below). Effect is cumulative but the more you build, the less effective each new one will be.

Production:

As before the place you build your ships. All orders for a tick are placed in a 'Production Set' and there is a maximum number of 'Production Sets' that you can have building at any one time (I think 5 but not certain) - so be careful if you have a habit of building 10 of each ship every tick or something like that. Orders can also be cancelled before they have finished and resources are returned, but an amount is deducted from the resources you get back (call it a non-refundable production charge if you like)

Also important to note that each race has similar ratios of resource cost throughout their entire production line. Xan ships all cost an even amount of each resource, Terran ships cost more metal, Cathaar ships require more crystal and Zikonian more eonium. In addition there is no fuel cost for ships anymore. All ships also have the same build time, as well as travel time.

Engineering:

This is where you can choose 3 priorities for your planet to receive a slight bonus in. Obviously the first priority gets more of a bonus than the second and so on. You are also able to set a certain type in more than one priority slot to have an even bigger effect on that area. Priorities cannot be changed for 48 ticks once set.

Mining - Bonus to resource income.
War - Bonus to ships effectiveness in combat.
Production - Reduced time to produce new ships.
Construction - Reduced time to build new structures.
Research - Reduced time to research new technology.
Security - Bonus to covert ops resistance.

Waves:

As before your scan page. This time tho scans you make are stored for you to return to and see later (not sure how long they stay in your 'database') and a link to the scan is given so it can be shared with others. My personal experience with scans, especially the later ones is low, but from what I understand a "News Scan" will not show information from the previous 4 ticks of the game, a new type of scan called a "Jumpgate Probe" will only work if you have a fleet heading towards the planet you are trying to scan and will show all hostile and friendly ships also heading towards that planet ('enhanced news scan' it seems) and the equivalent to military scan, the "Fleet Analysis" allows you to get exact fleet composition details of fleets heading towards your own planet only.

Mining:

Unlike before you no longer have to scan for roids. Roids are initiated by paying an amount in that resource (i.e. a metal roid costs metal, an eonium roid costs eonium to create). Bear in mind tho that the amount of roids that can be mined is dependant on the level of your Asteroid Mining Research.

There is also a Galactic Fund that the MoD has greater control over (i.e. can stop people taking anything or specific resources out) and an Exchange Resources function that allows u to exchange your surplus resources, but be wary of the 25% tax placed on this feature.

Fleets:

This is where you can name your fleets (YES! You can now call your fleets whatever you want and it will appear on your targets overview!) and move ships between your fleets.

Missions:

This screen is where you set the tactics for each of your fleets and send them out to attack/defend. Options include the standard 'attack' and 'defend' (altho this time both are restricted to one tick afaik - so defence especially has to be sent to land at the correct time) as well as a 'fake attack’, which will automatically recall your fleet just before it lands, and a 'support' option which tbh we have no idea what it does. In addition to this (and to make the timing of defence easier) there is also an option to delay the launch of your fleet several ticks, so for example you can choose to send an attack in 5 ticks time or launch a defence next tick instead of having to get up/remember to launch.

The actual launching of fleets is also different. It no longer matters when during a tick a fleet is given the command to send as all fleets will be launched automatically 'on the tick' - effectively meaning launch times will no longer be at xx.55 but at any point during a tick. The launches do not show on your targets news until the tick either.

Tactics can also be set for each fleet (these need to be researched) and allow you to tell your fleets to specifically concentrate on a certain area, be it Roids, Enemy Ships, Enemy Structures or a Mix. A Primary and Secondary priority can be set and, as with Engineers these can be same for added effect.

Covert Ops:

These are basically like employing spies or saboteurs to 'attack' an enemy planet. As would expect the effect of these operations is not very big, but when used in coordinated 'attacks' could prove valuable. Covert Ops missions must be researched via the Agent Training Research and include things such as stealing resources, destroying asteroids, ships and structures and resetting research projects to the beginning. You will have two ratings in this section, one that gauges how successful your covert operations will be (which decreases with each one you do and 'recharges' over time) and one that gauges your planets 'alert level' or ability to prevent and catch covert operations against yourself (this increases with each covert op done against you and drops again over time).

For each Covert Op you launch you must choose the number of agents that you want to 'hire' for the task. The more agents you send the greater the 'effect' of the operation, but also the greater the chance of them getting caught. Naturally it costs resources to perform covert ops, 1000 of each resource per agent sent.

Galaxy and Universe are both self explanatory and pretty similar to before.

Combat:

Quite different to before really, but also quite simple, but also the thing most people are having problems with. Ships have a class (FI, FR, CR or BS) and target one class each, ships do not target any other class except their target class. There is no EMP/Cloak/Stealing, all races have conventional 'shooting ships'. There is no initiative - all ships fire at the same time.

If a ship does not have its target class to shoot at it will instead fire on Structures on the planet, each ship also has a rating for this. There are no pods anymore, all ships are capable of capping roids. Capping is determined by 'disturbance' - this means that if a ship isn't being targeting too heavily it will cap roids. The best way to look at it is if your pilots are busy trying to avoid getting shot, they don't have time to steal roids, but if they aren't under fire they have more time to go after the roids.

Scoring System:

Altho no exact details have been released it seems that the main way to gain score is either thru stealing roids or killing ships. Exact details I am not certain on, but there is definitely a higher score gain if you steal roids (and possibly kill ships) from a planet bigger than your own, where as the points gained from similar actions on a smaller planet is considerably less. I think (altho am not certain) that score can also be lost from being roided. Score can also be gained from successful Covert Ops and successful scans, altho these are very small.

There are also two types of 'score' on the Galaxy screen. One is "Value" which is the equivalent to last rounds networth, as I gather takes into account the number of ships, constructions, roids, resources etc you have. The "Score" is points gained in the activities mentioned above as well (I think) as an additional set of points determined by the your "Value" or networth. The Universe screen rankings are determined by "Score" with the "Value" amount determining whether a planet is too small or not for you to be able to attack. Not the easiest system to understand really, but it works in the way it is intended.

===

If you spot any flaws in my explanations, have anything to add or any such things please do comment, no doubt I have missed several things. This was posted as an explanation of our game to both new players who wish to know more and existing players who are having trouble making the transition. If you have anything else to add that will aid in that goal please add it!

Anyone that bothered to read the entire post, I hope you now feel you understand PaX better and will therefore enjoy it more as a result.

This has been my effort on behalf of Planetarion. If it helped just one person then thats made it worth while (altho tbh putting everything I know about it down on paper has helped me understand it a bit better anyway ).

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 20:48   #2
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
'sticky this'
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 21:02   #3
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Good job 2 small things though:

The 'research labs' have a cumulative effect but depends on the amount of such buildings compared to the other structures. The ratio determines the effect on your research speed.
Example 10 'research labs' out of a total of 20 buildings = 1:2 (50%) have more effect that 10 'research labs' out of a total of 40 buildings.

The waves : once you've researched a type of wave, you can launch it without spending time building them, it's like having an unlimited amount of them, but you pay when the wave is successful.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 21:36   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
The 'research labs' have a cumulative effect but depends on the amount of such buildings compared to the other structures. The ratio determines the effect on your research speed.
Example 10 'research labs' out of a total of 20 buildings = 1:2 (50%) have more effect that 10 'research labs' out of a total of 40 buildings.
I think the same applies to a number of constructions (finance centers, amps, distorters, research centers, security centers). I think they all operate on the basis of their percentage of total constructions.

When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. A percentage of total constructions means you can't really excel in more than one of these no matter how big you are.

Good job, Maddix.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 21:38   #5
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good post.

I've heard that having more factories increases the number of production orders you can have past 5, but I don't know for sure.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 21:42   #6
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Finance Centres give you 0.5% extra each.

so if you have 10 Finance centres you gain 5% income from them.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 23:05   #7
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
pld Maddix \o/

I cba reading it tho...being inactive in beta aswell, tho I doubt where I am = reasonably good. Ah well, now suiciding my fleet anyway. The infected lemming inside me have to get it out somewhere

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 18:42   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all I want to say I really appreciate this.

Now some additions.

If you leave your alliance you can't apply to another for 72 hrs (not 48).

Research labs: research labs give a reduction in research time of 20%*#labs/total #of constructions.
So if your only constructions are research labs you get 20% reduction.
If half your constructions are research labs you get a 10% reduction.
If 10% of your constructions are research labs you get a 2% reduction.

The maximum amount of production sets is indeed 5.
Ordering ships has recently been editted so now all orders placed in the same tick are now combined to form 1 order.

The connection between the amount of agents you send on covert operations and the effect does not always apply. When stealing resources each agent can steal 1000*target value/your value of each resource, however there is a maximum of 5% (I think) of the target's resources. So it is always wise to scan the amount of available resources before doing this. Similarly the amounts of structures you can destroy can probably (I haven't tested this) not go negative.

The refund for cancelled production is 80%.

The jumpgate probe does not show ships. It shows all fleets comming in at eta 1 including the coords of the planet that sent it (so you can scan them).

Trading with the galactic found gives you only 95% of the resources you traded in, however these are not lost but form a 'donation' to the fund.

The 'support option' is called 'priorities' and lets you change priorities without having to launch the fleet. This allows you to set priorities, go back to wave's, make scans, do your bcalc, sort your fleets then return with the same priorities preset. (Ok, not a very usefull option.)

Ships that are not 'disturbed' steal roids only if they have a mission set to do so (either 'asteroids' or 'mixed').
Indeed value influences score. The influence value has on score has recently been increased. Score can be lost when your value decreases (for instance when you lose ships). However score gained by actions is permanent.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 12:58   #9
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve
The 'support option' is called 'priorities' and lets you change priorities without having to launch the fleet. This allows you to set priorities, go back to wave's, make scans, do your bcalc, sort your fleets then return with the same priorities preset. (Ok, not a very usefull option.)

actually this is quite usefull for when someone attacks you and your fleet is home. This lets you set the priority of your fleet for what to defend at your home planet.
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 18:31   #10
Xanadari

Xanadari is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
Good job 2 small things though:

The waves : once you've researched a type of wave, you can launch it without spending time building them, it's like having an unlimited amount of them, but you pay when the wave is successful.
Actually I believe that you have to pay the resources no matter if it's successful or not. I may be wrong on this though.
Xanadari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 22:45   #11
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Unofficial "Real" Manual

Firstly Brilliant post and very helpfull for those of us who are not playing the beta so thank you.

Secondaly:

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddix
Combat:

Quite different to before really, but also quite simple, but also the thing most people are having problems with. Ships have a class (FI, FR, CR or BS) and target one class each, ships do not target any other class except their target class. There is no EMP/Cloak/Stealing, all races have conventional 'shooting ships'. There is no initiative - all ships fire at the same time.
Ok i understand all this it is quite simple apart from one small thing, wtf is the point of thr 4 races then??
No cloaked makes Xan very vunrable if the shipstats are weighted as before (eg Xan have fast light easy to destroy hard hitting ships)
No stealing makes zilk pointless as that was the only posiable reason for playing zilk.
No emp destroys the point of being cath as you will no longer get to shoot early at the cost of destroying things.
So why not just go to one race - Terran??

I am guessing that each race is going to get an advantage in the production/con/res/tt areas but as these are also reserchable and changable with eng's then will these differances not be pointless? if this is the case one race would be simpler. Or maybe i missing something.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 23:58   #12
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard there's non-ship related benefits for the races, but if there are we haven't been told what they are.

And there's no need to change piorities for defence, unless your attackers are bringing their structures and roids with them.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 01:44   #13
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
I've heard there's non-ship related benefits for the races, but if there are we haven't been told what they are.

Correct.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie in another thread
Yes: there are differences in research times, construction times, production times, scanning and covert ops. I can't quantify the effects on some of those yet. I was told the following (which to my experience is correct):

Terran: 2 tick faster construction time, 1 tick faster production, poor scanner
Cathaar: 1 tick slower construction time , 20 % faster research, higher max-stealth and stealth growth
Xandathrii: 2 tick faster construction time, 1 tick faster production, 10 % slower research
Zikonian: Good scanner, 2 tick faster production, higher max-stealth and stealth growth
Unread 6 Sep 2003, 09:07   #14
Maddix
Imposter?

Re: Re: Unofficial "Real" Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by nickhall
wtf is the point of thr 4 races then??
As said above, each race has different 'non-combat' benefits, but also each race has a different set of ships. Thats the main point in having 4 races, adds a bit more depth and dimension to combat. The biggest mistake was to keep the names of the races the same tho

Unread 10 Sep 2003, 06:11   #15
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Re: Unofficial "Real" Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddix
As said above, each race has different 'non-combat' benefits, but also each race has a different set of ships. Thats the main point in having 4 races, adds a bit more depth and dimension to combat. The biggest mistake was to keep the names of the races the same tho
Tho 4 new names would only have helped the community complain a bit more about how much the "old pa" is being erased. Tho I agree 4 new names should have been a better move :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 14:20   #16
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Reading the beta forums, I see the same things cropping up on a regular basis, so here is a mini-FAQ that might warrant a place in the unofficial manual...

1) Why does the resource capturing cover operation sometimes give me lots of resources but sometimes I get less than the operation cost?

The resources you get depend on the relative value (NOT relative score!) of your planet and the one you are using ther covert ops on. You will get more from planets bigger then you. The resources also depend on the stockpile the planet has unspent, so you will get the best rsults by picking a target that has a higher value than you and has been offline for a while. Covert-opping just after the tick means you can try to steal resources before the planet has a chance to spend them.

2) I attacked with a small fleet on a planet with no ships, why didn't I capture any roids?

Small ships are not strong enough to capture roids, it seems to take about 50 fighters to move a single roid, unless you have researched "Towing Techniques" in the strategy branch of the tech tree.

3) I had lots of ships left alive after combat, why didn't I capture roids?

Your ships were 'disturbed' by being shot at, which stops them capturing roids. This disturbance is calculated on a ship-class by ship-class basis, so you can lose all your Frigates, but if your battleships are not being shot at, they will still capture.

4) The resources in my mining page do not add up!?

This is because you have more roids than you can mine effectively. You will need to go further down the "Heavy Cargo Transfers" branch of the tech tree. The mining page shows you what you WOULD have got from your roids in the left column, then the bonuses, then what you ACTUALLY get on the right.

5) My fleets are taking time to return even though all the ships died!?

This is intentional, here is what Spinner has to say about it: "Since there is something called Fleet Exerience involved, fleets are not allowed to do such hit'n runs.
The reasons behind this are, among others:
- Sending in a 1 ship fleet 1 tick ahead to scout costs very little, now it costs a few hours waiting time
- The ships in the fleet die, but the fleet is more than just ships, we have named fleets now, but one could easily say the fleet has commanders. A few things regarding the commander feature has been slashed for now, but nevertheless
- If you lose the battle, that bad, you deserve to wait a few ticks for your returning fleet"

6) I saw no defence whn I scanned, but when I landed there was def!?

News scans only show ships launched up to 4 hours ago. Don't scan until eta 1!

7) I'm not getting recalls mentioned in my news, I can't seem to capture ships or build PDS or get salvage, or attack for 3 ticks, I don't see the size of hostiles heading to my gal mates, etc.?

This is not round 9.5 anymore, things have changed, you must learn to adapt!

8) Why is my news saying I have incoming from a different planet to my overview?

Because your overview shows the hostile fleet name, not the hostile planet name, which is in your news. The co-ords are the same though.

9) Why am I seeing so many different reports from one combat?

Each of your fleets gives it's own loss report, showing how many of it's ships were lost compared to your total number of that type of ship (not the number in that fleet, the TOTAL number!)

10) Why do fake attack fleets give me combat reports/seem to cap roids sometimes?

Fake fleets report what they see at the planet as they turn round to come home, at eta -1. If you see roids being capped, that's not you capping them, it's the person who landed when your fake was at eta 1.

11) The priorities option on the missions page doesn't launch fleets with priorities!?

It's not supposed to! That option is there to change the priorities of fleets without launching them, so you could (for example) tell the ships you have at home to concetrate on defending structures when you log in an find 1000 hostile structure specific ships at eta 1 from you. To launch with different priorities to the ones you currently have set, you simply choose 'attack' or 'defend' from the left menu and the relevant priorities from the other 2 menus, and those priorities will be applied.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 16:10   #17
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
ofc, as soon as I post that, the beta is altered and there is now 30% salvage for defenders.

It's safest to consider the manual a moving target, I guess?
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 18:34   #18
Gerbie
pe0n

The cause is that people complain about it and the weird thing is that PA Team actually appears to listen to them and change the things people complain about.
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 12:20   #19
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
The cause is that people complain about it and the weird thing is that PA Team actually appears to listen to them and change the things people complain about.
People like you mayby ?
I complained about several features not being good as well. A beta is for adjusting your game. And many new PAX features still need to be improved.

Allthough some people asking for entirly new features to be added (mostly features that existed in earlier rounds) is a bit too much. It changes the game. Defenders got points for defending now so salvage was not required. There was something else in place. I think the correct way to adjust the game would have been to give more points for defenders in stead of adding salvage to the game. Just because salvage was there in 'old PA' does not mean it has to be there in new PA.

I like your faq Andy. It is very good for adressing most points especially for those who played the old game and are now confused about the features. It might make a mention though of the launchtime feature as described in the original post as that is also a bit weird.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 13:30   #20
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
Defenders got points for defending now so salvage was not required. There was something else in place. I think the correct way to adjust the game would have been to give more points for defenders in stead of adding salvage to the game. Just because salvage was there in 'old PA' does not mean it has to be there in new PA.
I would not worry - AFAICT they lowered the armour at the same time
so your net loss after rebuilding 30% of your lost ships is the same.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 15:55   #21
Gerbie
pe0n

Just posting to warn people not to trust the official manual as it has not been updated since the first public beta:
- the race characteristics have been altered;
- engineer bonusses have been changed.

If PA team wants me to I can make updated editions of the manual text (+add some more usefull information) and mail them. I'm pretty sure others would also be willing to help.

Last edited by Gerbie; 14 Sep 2003 at 19:58.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 20:43   #22
Summerflame

Summerflame is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Just posting to warn people not to trust the official manual as it has not been updated since the first public beta:
- the race characteristics have been altered;
- engineer bonusses have been changed.

If PA team wants me to I can make updated editions of the manual text (+add some more usefull information) and mail them. I'm pretty sure others would also be willing to help.
Could you perhaps also post the changes here? Would be very appreciated.
R3: 100:18 Cymberal of Celtar
R4: somewhere in P24
R5: no Idea
R6: 22:20 [Wrath]
R7: 27:1:9 [Fury]
R8: 42:2:5 [Fury]
R9: 26:4:10 [Eclipse]
R9:5: no Idea [Eclipse]
R10: 4:5:5 [Eclipse]
R11: 31:5:9 [1up]
[1up]
Summerflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 21:23   #23
Gerbie
pe0n

Copied from the game, the engineering settings are now:
Engineering
First Priority Second Priority Third Priority

Mining
15 % bonus to all mining 10 % bonus to all mining 5 % bonus to all mining
(unchanged)
War
10 % added damage 6 % added damage 3 % added damage
(was 15/10/5?)
Production
50 % production time 65 % production time 80 % production time
(was 3, 2, 1 tick)
Construction
55 % construction time 70 % construction time 85 % construction time
(was 3, 2, 1 tick)
Research
15 % faster research 10 % faster research 5 % faster research
(unchanged)
Security
15 % stealth bonus 10 % stealth bonus 5 % stealth bonus
30 % alert bonus 20 % alert bonus 10 % alert bonus
(I have no idea on this as it's hard to follow how this works)

The race benefits appear to be unchanged except for xan research which now seems to last 1/6th extra compared to terran/zik in stead of 10%. Nothing was published on this so there might be other changes.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 22:01   #24
Gerbie
pe0n

Ow and the maximum resources you could steal with covert ops is 10% of someone's resources, not 5% as I said earlier.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 23:35   #25
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
ok, as of last saturday the Manual (and indeed, all Planetarion Support) became my responsibility.

As a result since about 12pm sat, ive been working and, almost every page on the manual has now had an overhaul, using suggestions from both here, Strategy threads, and other places, and the only thing lacking is ship stats (due to a small problem with HTML not being allowed in forms, which i hope to have fixed soon.)

Major points
  • Complete Tech Tree
  • Engineering, priorities and effects of each
  • Construction screen with effect of each building
  • Race differences page

Its not yet perfect, but its a hell of a lot better than it was, its just a shame it took so long.

Anyway, i strive for perfection, so further comments and suggestions on the manual (and indeed, any are of planetarion support) are appreciated. Preferably via email ([email protected]) or board pm so it sticks out at me, although here is fine too, it just might take me longer to notice it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 07:55   #26
Stephanos

Stephanos is an unknown quantity at this point
I wanted to clear something up to, MoC does not have the mail to gal function anymore (well i havent found it anyway) so the only benefits an MoC has is gal forum moderator rights. And as already mentioned MoW has no special admin tools.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 16:09   #27
Maddix
Imposter?

Good work NB3, at least someone 'up there' hasn't given up

Unread 18 Sep 2003, 14:59   #28
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
I would not worry - AFAICT they lowered the armour at the same time
so your net loss after rebuilding 30% of your lost ships is the same.
SO, the defender get the same loss, while the attacker loses more. Not exactly a small change. Indeed a change to favour defending, understandable ofc, in a uni where attacking all the time seems an easier way to "score" :P
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 23:21   #29
chels
Chelsea Football Club Own

chels is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Unofficial "Real" Manual

ok, Maddix good point but i couldent be bothered to read all that text, why are peeps still playing this game i urge you all to go get a life,getting a life starts by making arrangments with who-ever to go some where i:e club ,pub,amusment park,days out,getting a job also helps all you peeps playing this game need to stop and get a ruddy life, trust me when i say ive been here done it and lost the plot,i lost my life getting caught up in this reality and lost alot of things i held dear to me on a personal note,i know you got a life maddix, im on about the other 90% of players on here who are wasting there lifes playing this on a 24-7 daily thing i may come back and post something later, im just wanting to show some players here that pa aint all its cracked up to be but pls this is only a kin game ffs and all this text shouldent be written about it imo and maddix check yaself dude i know u mean well to the community but they dont give a sh!!t what you wrote only how to get into 1337 clans and roid the a$$ of some n00b those aspects of the game few get and i cant see why u are wasting your precious time explaining it too these players i know you like pa but come on dude id much rather spend the time it took too write that with jenn,im not telling you how to run ya life but i lost my wife playing this stupid game dont want that to happen to you or anyone else for that matter my point goes out too other players not you really i know you and jenn is cool and all i just hope these noobs here relize what some players in this cummunity have gone through in order to bring some realism to this game my adivise on this game is dont play it get a life and have it abbundently
anyway nuff respect and all too the lizards out there and to you andy,jenn ect ect
im outtie i cnat be bothered to read this back over so forgive any spelling mistakes
laters aka lee
chels is offline   Reply With Quote