User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Mar 2003, 20:05   #1
CoD
(.) (.)

CoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura about
fdisk

OK in my old PC my uncle installed XP for me, i remember he made a floppy liek fdisk or something which booted the CD on start up

I have got a new PC system with no software, I thought I had just to put in the CD (yes I told BIOS to boot from CD drive and it does) but it keeps saying "Invaild system disk"

So i think i need that floppy to help boot it

So how can I make an fdisk?
CoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 20:30   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
you mean a boot disk not fdisk

fdisk is the program that sets up your hard drive partitions etc

posting on the right forum might help
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 20:32   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: fdisk

Quote:
Originally posted by CoD
OK in my old PC my uncle installed XP for me, i remember he made a floppy liek fdisk or something which booted the CD on start up

I have got a new PC system with no software, I thought I had just to put in the CD (yes I told BIOS to boot from CD drive and it does) but it keeps saying "Invaild system disk"

So i think i need that floppy to help boot it

So how can I make an fdisk?
goto www.bootdisk.com

look for a file called win98se.exe

Download it

Run it

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 20:57   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you have a valid XP cd then it WILL boot - provided that your CD drive and BIOS support it (which all modern ones should). If you have more than one CD drive make sure you've selected the right one (if you get the option) and make sure that the CD drive is set to be the primary boot device (again, if you get the option).

If it still doesn't work go here and get the Windows Me OEM bootdisk, which will provide CDROM support.

Unread 11 Mar 2003, 21:23   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Somewhere in the Advanced options bit (or some other similarly worded option) should be a place to choose the boot order. You'll probably have Floppy, then HDD1, then a couple of others, there's usually 4 options.

Change the top one to CDRom instead of floppy temporarily, reboot with the CD in the machine. Once XP is all installed, you can switch it back to floppy, though to be honest a more useful boot order is Floppy, CDRom, HDD1 (this will slow your boot by a few seconds if there's a non-bootable CD in the drive).

If that doesn't work there is an actual Windows XP setup bootdisk set available from here for XP Home and here for XP Professional, both from Microsoft.