User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Apr 2003, 15:15   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Question my computer doesnt work

this is the situation:
after i switch my computer on, it works for about 5 seconds, after that it turns off.
if i then pull out the plug, wait a few seconds and put it in again, it works normally.

any ideas what causes this problem and how i can solve it?
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 15:30   #2
CoD
(.) (.)

CoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura about
dodgy ram?
CoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 16:04   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
once i get it started everything works fine, so i doubt its the ram.
maybe its the power supply or that nicotine-layer all across the whole pc causes some trouble
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 16:41   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
PSU.... I've had about the same problem before, 4 times. The fan of the PSU kept running and only stopped if I removed the cable. After plugging it back in it worked again. I could only pull this trick off a few times, then it died.
You better get a spare on as I believe this one might die soon.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 16:48   #5
wu_trax

damn i dont have money for that, i rather need more ram :/
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 18:12   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You can get a decent power supply for around £40.
This one from Antec, who are 'the name' in the power supply business, retails at around £45.
Thermaltake are also making a name for themselves in this area - this one is in fact the one I'm running and it retails at around £35.

As an indication of what to expect from it, that 360W is powering an XP2000+, 512Mb of DDR ram, 2 7200RPM harddrives, a GeForce 3, several other PCI boards, and 3 fans and is having no problem (you can tell by looking at the voltages with a utility such as MBM5).

You can get units rated higher in terms of watts for less cash, but be aware that at the cheap end of the scale you will be getting a powersupply that almost certainly will not reach anywhere near what it claims to be able to provide (ie. you'd be lucky to get 320W out of a 420W cheapo one and have any stability) and will be prone to voltage fluctuations under heavier loads which can seriously destabalise the system. I've seen the problems of several people I know solved by buying a decent PSU because they were trying to run large ammounts of kit on a cheap 300W power supply and their systems would fall over as soon as you did anything to drain more power (eg. CD burning).

It is worth investing in a quality unit.