User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 27 Feb 2003, 00:40   #1
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Random Internet Printers

Has anyone else ever had random network printers from nowhere appear in their printers folder (windows)? This is a phenomenon I noticed in Win2k and its happened in XP as well. I thought I'd blocked every MS background service from talking to the 'net with "Tiny Personal Firewall".

Example. Right now this is the printer I have in my queue.

Its not a trojan to my knowledge. I think its just some machines are advertising their printers to the net at large.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 00:48   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Random Internet Printers

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Has anyone else ever had random network printers from nowhere appear in their printers folder (windows)? This is a phenomenon I noticed in Win2k and its happened in XP as well. I thought I'd blocked every MS background service from talking to the 'net with "Tiny Personal Firewall".

Example. Right now this is the printer I have in my queue.

Its not a trojan to my knowledge. I think its just some machines are advertising their printers to the net at large.
If you share off your printer 'simply' in XP at least, its details get broadcast to the network. A firewall shouldn't block it as it's normal network traffic, blocking it would impair your ability to use the network, hence it's allowed through.

Moral: No sharey printers.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 12:09   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Attack of the Phantom Printers... rofl \o/
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote