User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 17 Jan 2003, 08:22   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Linker warning

I linked a jpeg library yesterday with my code, but since I'm getting a linker warning:

LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBC" conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

What does this warning mean? Any way of getting rid of it?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 08:47   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
My crystal ball (google) says...
Quote:
in your project settings, besides "amulet.lib" and "winmm.lib", you also need to include

/nodefaultlib:"libc"
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 09:18   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Nope.... now I get duplicated symbol errors...
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 09:22   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Hmmm...

This is the relevant MDSN page (from microsoft.com)
Quote:
Linker Tools Warning LNK4098
defaultlib "library" conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

You are trying to link with incompatible libraries.

Important The run-time libraries now contain directives to prevent mixing different types. You’ll receive this warning if you try to use different types or debug and non-debug versions of the run-time library in the same program. For example, if you compiled one file to use one kind of run-time library and another file to use another kind (for example, single-threaded versus multithreaded) and tried to link them, you’ll get this warning. You should compile all source files to use the same run-time library. See the Use Run-Time Library (MD, /ML, /MT, /LD) compiler options for more information.

You can use the linker’s /VERBOSE:LIB switch to determine which libraries the linker is searching. If you receive LNK4098 and want to create an executable file that uses, for example, the single-threaded, non-debug run-time libraries, use the /VERBOSE:LIB option to find out which libraries the linker is searching. The linker should print LIBC.LIB and not LIBCMT.LIB, MSVCRT.LIB, LIBCD.LIB, LIBCMTD.LIB, or MSVCRTD.LIB as the libraries searched. You can tell the linker to ignore the the incorrect run-time libraries by typing the incorrect libraries in the Ignore Libraries text box on the Link tab of the Settings dialog box in Developer’s Studio or by using the /NODEFAULTLIB:library option with LINK for each library you want to ignore. See the Ignore Libraries (/NODEFAULTLIB) linker option for more information.

The table below shows which libraries should be ignored depending on which run-time library you want to use.

To use this run-time library
Ignore these libraries

Single-threaded (libc.lib)
libcmt.lib, msvcrt.lib, libcd.lib, libcmtd.lib, msvcrtd.lib

Multithreaded (libcmt.lib)
libc.lib, msvcrt.lib, libcd.lib, libcmtd.lib, msvcrtd.lib

Multithreaded using DLL (msvcrt.lib)
libc.lib, libcmt.lib, libcd.lib, libcmtd.lib, msvcrtd.lib

Debug Single-threaded (libcd.lib)
libc.lib, libcmt.lib, msvcrt.lib, libcmtd.lib, msvcrtd.lib

Debug Multithreaded (libcmtd.lib)
libc.lib, libcmt.lib, msvcrt.lib, libcd.lib, msvcrtd.lib

Debug Multithreaded using DLL (msvcrtd.lib)
libc.lib, libcmt.lib, msvcrt.lib, libcd.lib, libcmtd.lib

For example, if you received this warning and you want to create an executable file that uses the non-debug, single-threaded version of the run-time libraries, you could use the following options with the linker:

/NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt.lib /NODEFAULTLIB:msvcrt.lib /NODEFAULTLIB:libcd.lib /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmtd.lib /NODEFAULTLIB:msvcrtd.lib
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 09:42   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

yes \o/

I added libc.lib to my IGNORE list of my project and it works...

Anyway, how can I ignore a lib in-code? Don't want to adjust all my projects when I use my texture loader
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 09:46   #6
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Unfortunately I have no idea whatsoever

You could always just live with the warning I suppose.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 09:54   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Unfortunately I have no idea whatsoever

You could always just live with the warning I suppose.
Definately not... it's sloppy... When I compile my project and I see a warning it just doesn't "feel" right.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 10:02   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Definately not... it's sloppy... When I compile my project and I see a warning it just doesn't "feel" right.
Somehow I KNEW you were going to say that

As far as I can see the only way of doing it is top make sure that all the files in your project use the same library, i.e. if one uses libc, they all have to use libc. Would I be right in assuming you have something somewhere that uses msvcrt? if so everything else has to use it as well, not libc.

Apologies if I'm wrong in my assumption.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 10:14   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Somehow I KNEW you were going to say that

As far as I can see the only way of doing it is top make sure that all the files in your project use the same library, i.e. if one uses libc, they all have to use libc. Would I be right in assuming you have something somewhere that uses msvcrt? if so everything else has to use it as well, not libc.

Apologies if I'm wrong in my assumption.
msvcrt isn't linked explicitly in the project settings (neither is libc) but I assume it is linked. What I do now is defining in my project file to ignore the libc library completely on linking, so I assume it automatically takes msvcrt instead (as I didn't see any runtime/linker errors (yet)).
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 10:39   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

weeee.... I got it:

#pragma comment(linker, "/nodefaultlib:libc.lib")
#pragma comment(linker, "/nodefaultlib:libcd.lib")
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 10:39   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

\o/
das blinkenlights!!!