User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 21 Jan 2005, 09:18   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wireless networking

Ok, a scenario for you:

A wireless network exists with one access point (which has the internet connection going into it) and six pcs with wireless network cards.
The wireless network needs to be expanded to cover another 16 pcs.

Clearly one access point won't handle that. However, I have no idea how you go about solving this.
Do you add another access point? Is there another peice of equipment entirely? Is there any special setup, and how do you connect the new equipment to the original access point?

Unread 21 Jan 2005, 09:21   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Wireless networking

wireless access points are just that - access points for wireless connections to cabled ethernet networks.

thus the two waps would need to be connected by cat5.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 09:58   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Where I get confused is that the WAP with the internet connection obviously acts as a router and gateway etc, as well as handing out DHCP leases and so on.
Do I have to stop the other one from trying to do this as well, or should they work together or what?

Not that I'm a wireless newbie or anything
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 11:32   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

you can have two wireless access points on the same network.

you'll need to set the 2nd one so the wep key (you ARE using wep right?) is the same, and connect it to the router. If theres no way to do that, it could get interesting.

the first wap should be left in place as it is, no changes to it are necessary.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 12:17   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

just set the other WAP (same type and brand preferably) to repeat the signal from the first WAP, though 20 PCs on 1 WAP (or in this case, Wireless Router) is quite possible with a good WAP.

My WAP here is supposed to be capable of handling 36 simultaneous connections, though I have yet to go over 5

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 12:17   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Yep I'm using WEP, I'm not THAT daft
I was reading the docs on mine and apparently it's also possible to use a second access point without having to cable to it (referred to as point-to-point mode in the manual), but the configuration required looks like it'd take ages and if something went wrong I wouldn't have a clue.
Guess I'll just cable to it.
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 13:04   #7
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Have a google around for a product called AutoCell, it's wireless networking which uses a spanning tree style system to denote which access point traffic goes through.
________
Easy Vape Portable Vaporizer Review

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 06:46.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 16:42   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Wireless networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
The wireless network needs to be expanded to cover another 16 pcs.

Clearly one access point won't handle that.
Are you sure? I'd almost say, one Access Point CAN handle it. Or is the bandwidth your problem? I've only set up 2 wireless routers / access points until now, but I do remember something about a bigger supported clients number than I thought.

However, I do know for sure you can (as others already suggested) connect 2 access points together. There should be a bridging option somewhere. You enter the other Router's MAC address and some stuff, including WEP key and so on, and then both routers should act as one unit.
Or you connect them physically. [or just get a bigger router // one that supports 32 clients?]

Anyway, bridging should be the keyword you're looking for.
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 18:02   #9
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

no, bridging is for crossing distances...
both APs would transmit ONLY to eachother. You want the second AP to REPEAT the signals of the first, so it still routes for the whole network, but won't have to handle all of the connections.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2005, 20:21   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

That's the word, well done flapjack.
I need it to act as a REPEATER. Which is what the "point-to-point" mode my manual talks about is, as it has a little asterisk next to it which goes to a bit of text on the bottom of the page which says "also referred to as network repeater mode".

So looks like it should be possible.
Oh well cheers guys.
Unread 22 Jan 2005, 17:01   #11
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Wireless networking

So close ;-)