User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Oct 2007, 15:39   #1
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all
Downtime

Why if its over 30 mins and we are already aware that it is to happen, does it need to freeze for 24 hours. Why not continue the tick till the next xx:00? I.e. if it goes down at 8.24, and its not back up until 8.59, continue that tick for another hour so it ticks at 10:00.

Making a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 16:57   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Downtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
Why if its over 30 mins and we are already aware that it is to happen, does it need to freeze for 24 hours. Why not continue the tick till the next xx:00? I.e. if it goes down at 8.24, and its not back up until 8.59, continue that tick for another hour so it ticks at 10:00.
Because the chance that people will be able to be online 24 hours later is higher than the chance they'll be able to be online 3 or 5 hours later. Because it's better that people know in advance when the game will tick again than to have them have to check in every hour.

Quote:
Indeed you are.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 18:03   #3
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Personaly i think its retarted to take down the game unless a minimum 1/3rd of the players are effected.

Just call it "solarflairs" that knock out communications and be done with it.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 18:17   #4
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Because the chance that people will be able to be online 24 hours later is higher than the chance they'll be able to be online 3 or 5 hours later. Because it's better that people know in advance when the game will tick again than to have them have to check in every hour.
Im talking about if its not even an hour down time, not 3 or 5 hours later so please read before writing ignorant, useless responses.
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 19:40   #5
Markb
PA Team

Markb is a jewel in the roughMarkb is a jewel in the roughMarkb is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

If we leave the game running, everyone / big majority of people will be affected by this and will moan (ie people that can only login normally between the times where it is sheduled to be down and will complain that they were unable to do login to recall a fleet etc)

Also, there is the slight possibility that the downtime may be longer than expected and so we are covering for that.

NetGamers Senior CSC Administrator
Markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2007, 20:58   #6
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Does seem to be a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, especially when the policy for downtime of less than 1 tick is to continue the game without a rollback and without further delay.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote