User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Oct 2003, 09:46   #1
LEFF|pm
Lord of the Boards

LEFF|pm is on a distinguished road
someone care to explain... ?

I just got this Battlereport.

Two attackers sending 500 fighters and 100 / 150 battleships each. The fighters were meant to die, thats no problem, but why the Battleships arnt capping ?
Priorities for the vesuvius where ships/roids, for the olympus structures/roids

Only 7 roids got taken, 0 structures destroyed....

now im confused....
LEFF|pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 10:17   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: someone care to explain... ?

perhaps the capping is based on overal ship loss... not class specific loss

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 10:25   #3
LEFF|pm
Lord of the Boards

LEFF|pm is on a distinguished road

yah well... 13,4% of overall sent fleetscore got killed then... still doesnt explain why a) NO roids got capt ( apart from this 7...) and NO structures got destroyed although 150 olympus targeted them

Last edited by LEFF|pm; 11 Oct 2003 at 10:30.
LEFF|pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 10:33   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

i do find that with the prioriteis structures/roids i do less damage than with roids/structure.... bug?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 11 Oct 2003, 10:36   #5
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

http://cabeza.lockhead.net/index.php...nid=2095537793

is another example of the borked code. everyone there had at least 1 of there priorities on Structures of Factories.
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 12:42   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Remember that your first priority tells what 40% of your fleet focuses on, while your second priority tells what 20% of your fleet focuses on. The remaining 40% will always be on the lookout for enemy ships to shoot, whether there are any or not.

Losing ships causes disturbance - it doesn't take all that much disturbance to stop the 20% of your fleet from doing what you told them to do with Priority 2, especially if you've sent only a small amount of ships.
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 12:52   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

bottom 40% is mixed not just ships - as set to ships/ships u can still kill structures.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 11 Oct 2003, 12:58   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalVirtus
bottom 40% is mixed not just ships - as set to ships/ships u can still kill structures.
"The remaining 40 % is always reserved for conventional combat and dog-fighting, even if there are no hostiles present."

I guess shooting structures is included in combat itself then, unlike the capturing of asteroids. Even then, with Mixed/Mixed you're already unlikely to shoot many structures, so 40% set to Mixed won't do much more either then.
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 13:09   #9
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden
http://cabeza.lockhead.net/index.php...nid=2095537793

is another example of the borked code. everyone there had at least 1 of there priorities on Structures of Factories.
NO constructions lost at all? with 2500 BS? Aint that a anti-bash protection
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 13:26   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
NO constructions lost at all? with 2500 BS? Aint that a anti-bash protection
Am I the only one clearly seeing 4 lost constructions on that report?
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 13:52   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

i see em...

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 11 Oct 2003, 14:00   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think it takes about 500 BS to destroy a structure.

To attack structures you need the "special" ship at the end of each race's list: Olympus, Champion, Varanus and Stiletto.

The others are just horribly inefficient at destroying structures.

That's what I've gathered from seeing battle reports, anyway.
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 15:49   #13
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat

To attack structures you need the "special" ship at the end of each race's list: Olympus, Champion, Varanus and Stiletto.

maybe 500 stilleto's to target 1 structure as they are fi class but i reckon the anti- bash rule is why so few structures were destroyed in that br
definatley a case of overkill

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 16:52   #14
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Am I the only one clearly seeing 4 lost constructions on that report?
Oops!:eek:
Must have been blind, I only now notice those, same for the 350 claymores...

-----

Last edited by General Martok; 11 Oct 2003 at 16:53. Reason: typo
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 19:18   #15
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

no because I alone killed 5 structures a few days ago with 100 Olys and a few hundred Ves, the combat code is really unstable.
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 20:08   #16
turbulentk

turbulentk is an unknown quantity at this point

well well

2000 xan fr can destroy 3 structures
5000 zik fi can destroy 4 structures
2000 terran cr can destroy 2 structures
2500 zik fr can destroy 3 structures
1000 cat+zik bs can destroy 1 structure

all of these battles are based on mix and mix priorities

me <<<<<<<<<<<<<no understand

why do we have to set a "sux" priorities as structures/factories for?

but wait, the roids and hostile ships work well

don't believe pa coding seems theory, I believe in my eyes :/
turbulentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 20:14   #17
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

valid post leff ive seen the same in quiet a few battles.
I for my part figured there was something wrong with claymores.
vs normal resistance i.e, homefleet of antibs they always suck harder than terran bs. even if their costs and roid roid settings should make them equal. kinda dissapointing when you send 200 or 300 bs on someones ass and he "disturbs" you with about 150 cruisers and you get 5 roids.

Roidcapping and combattactics could have been a blast if they were balanced but now:

-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 20:36   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

/me ponders the existance of agility and weapon speed

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 12 Oct 2003, 15:35   #19
General Martok
used to register

I think it's time for some clarification by Spinner, maybe even a formula?

-----
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 18:24   #20
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
I think it's time for some clarification by Spinner, maybe even a formula?
You assume they know the information, something Im not entirely convinced, if they knew it then how could they keep it this way? seems somewhat counter productive.

Whats the point of having tactics if they dont work as soon as you get shot.

These tactics would probably work with Initiative based combat, but with everyone firing at the same time, it cannot allow a victor.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 18:45   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden
no because I alone killed 5 structures a few days ago with 100 Olys and a few hundred Ves, the combat code is really unstable.
Olympus are one of the "special" ships I mentioned. That is probably why you killed so many - because they are one of the ships that is good at killing structures.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 20:14   #22
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
Olympus are one of the "special" ships I mentioned. That is probably why you killed so many - because they are one of the ships that is good at killing structures.
yes and we had over 500 of them against your guy, all of them targetting structures.

coupled with well over 1000 other battleships targetting structures and the other 1400 targetting ships and mixed.

It should have killed a damn site more than it did.
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 13:09   #23
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

I'd hazard a guess that Spinner's used his favourite trick of basing structures destroyed on ratios. Specifically ratio of (value of planet under attack)/(value of attacking fleet). And hence, because the attacking BS fleet was high value, the number of structures possible to destroy was low. Plus, of course, there'll be a cap on the % of structures that can be destroyed in a tick.
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 13:50   #24
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point

My theory is that structure-killing isn't meant to be a worthwhile tactic until nearer the end of the round.

I'm currently seeing 1 to 2 structures killed by players of under a million in value.

By the end of the round, I expect the biggest players to be 10-20 million in value, and therefore having enough firepower to be capable if killing something in the range of 15 to 50 structures a tick.

Would you really want a higher single tick structure loss than this to be possible?

Bear in mind that the top players will be confined by the 6000 roid limit, which makes investment in masses of finance centres highly attractive to them, even though they become very pricey.

I think what Spinner intends to happen is that the top players with 6000 roids will stop going after smaller people's roids and start concentrating on gaining places by going after each other's finance centres while the rest of the universe is left alone to go after each other's roids.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 14:13   #25
Kal
Inactive peon

interesting theory

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Oct 2003, 06:07   #26
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalVirtus
/me ponders the existance of agility and weapon speed
Nope. I dont think so.

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 06:14   #27
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

But a good theory is what I think, Kal.

Sounds logical but wont happen, as in our minds we're stil all playing for ROIDS and not for killing structures.

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2003, 08:00   #28
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough

The max capping of numbers of structures you can kill feels as low as 5 or 10% to me.
Just a thought.
Unread 15 Oct 2003, 08:09   #29
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
I'd hazard ....
dont do it sid! run! PA's not worth it!
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 17:01   #30
Masterplan

Masterplan is an unknown quantity at this point

ok then
ratio destruction on these then
http://cabeza.lockhead.net/index.php...anid=112174047
why did these structures die
attacking fleets were on ships/roids
both attackers similar size with same amount/value of ships
r4: hirr
r5: hirr
starting to see a trend?
Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 17:05   #31
ronnie
Kralizec

ronnie will become famous soon enoughronnie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan
ok then
ratio destruction on these then
http://cabeza.lockhead.net/index.php...anid=112174047
why did these structures die
attacking fleets were on ships/roids
both attackers similar size with same amount/value of ships
isnt there still an element of random fire involved even with the priorities set ?

(not a response to masterplan, just a random wondering)

<Killmark> you do know what race i am right?
<Ronnie> is 'gay boy' a race ?
<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 17:17   #32
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet a cookie that the code is fu***' up.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 18:49   #33
Andy_r
X$X

We would see these sort odd results if structural damage was being calulated on whole fleet values, not on a per-class basis, so if 95% of your fleet is alive after enemy fire, 95% of your fleet aims at structures.

In the examples where large numbers of fi are combined with small numbers of battleships, losing 10% of fi but no bs would have its effect shared over the BS too - or worse, the 10% loss could all be deducted from the big ships, letting only fi aim at structures.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 09:27   #34
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is no flat figuring when it comes to Battleships -> Structures. The only ships truly capable taking on the seemingly high HP/Armour value (even I don't know the precise value) of Structures are the specific special siege ships you mentioned.

Without giving away too much, an indication of this is it would take a single figure amount of Stillettos to deal more structurable damage than any Battleship in the game (bar Olympus).

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 18:45   #35
Masterplan

Masterplan is an unknown quantity at this point

got a new one for you
all but 750 of the claymore were on a structures/ships mission.
http://cabeza.lockhead.net/index.php...nid=1598313513

and this was all that was destroyed
r4: hirr
r5: hirr
starting to see a trend?
Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 19:19   #36
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

If I'm not mistaken, there's a hardcoded percentage-based limit on how much structures can be destroyed in 1 tick.
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 19:22   #37
Andy_r
X$X

well, there's a simple way to check that....

Surface Analysis Scan
Reveals constructions on a target planet.
This scan costs 2000 of each resource.