User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 20 Jun 2006, 23:12   #1
Sebos

Sebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the rough
Why a balenced game

This occoured to me while i was reading through the forums as i occasionally do.

Why is everything being done to make the game balance. Surly this can only lead to a circular game where there is a set pattern of events. For example a fully ballanced set of ship stats would lead to one race hitting another relitivly 0 loss but then being themselves hit by another planet 0 loss and so it goes on. Tbh i think that going for a ballanced game is what is making people want to cheat or find other ways of playing the game.

If the game was more raw and undefined it would add a higher element of fun imo as u would have to build more than ur standard ships. for example the last few rounds people have developed fleet plans (as they have prolly done for many rounds) where it becomes apparant that by building so many spiders or whatever it is u can roid this race easily and land 0 loss but if the game was somewhat unblanced in areas so going back to its origins where each race clearly has its advantages and dissadvantages rather than making the game so each race is essentially the same just under a different name the fun of the game would come back and many players would play to actually have some fun rather than play because they feel they can not let thier alliance down or whatever.

so in essence what i am saying i guess is why are we making the game all ballanced and nice when essentially it is a war game and in war there will always be people with advantages over others. surly making the game less ballanced would add more fun.

please note i am not saying make one race have some kind of death star that targets every ship class steals resources, roids and kills strutures. what i am suggesting is maybe changes like xan being fully cloaked again or such changes.
Sebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 23:22   #2
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future
Re: Why a balenced game

The players and alliances are meant to bring the "unbalance" and make the difference wether you end on a high or low rank - at least that is the popular opinion about this.

Everyone starts with the same basics and the best/most active or whatever wins.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 00:41   #3
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no point having multiple races if you arent going to balance them. Youll just be sentancing noobs who guess badly to death while'st the informed universe takes the good race and ignores the irrellevant options.

This is a war game, not a war.

Nobody is interested in acting out a predesigned massacre, even if they do happen in real war.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 01:40   #4
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about

Whilst 1 race may be easily able to take another (as I did as cath with mass recluse on xan), another race defending them ruins your whole plan!

The fact that 1 race can hit another well means that you have to play as a team, I think anything that encourages teamplay is good!

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 23:52   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Round 13 Cath should be a good example of why striving for balance with races is a fundamentally good idea.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2006, 00:09   #6
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Round 13 Cath should be a good example of why striving for balance with races is a fundamentally good idea.
Amen.
Unread 22 Jun 2006, 05:18   #7
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

hmm... I have an idea. Make it more of a gambit
release shipstats after tick 1. And admin team just uses whatever numbers in shipstats they feel like would work out.
heh.

tbh, i, personally, wouldnt mind it...
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2006, 10:54   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
hmm... I have an idea. Make it more of a gambit
release shipstats after tick 1. And admin team just uses whatever numbers in shipstats they feel like would work out.
heh.

tbh, i, personally, wouldnt mind it...
No, because it'd be stupid to ruin the round of ~25% of players. Especially when they're paying to play.