User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 5 Jul 2006, 11:47   #1
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Hard Drives

I'm in need of a decent, stable hard drive and to be honest I have nfi where to start. What makes / brands etc are good, which are to avoid like cancer and which are value for money?

<3 in advance
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 12:21   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Hard Drives

SATA or...

http://komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=320709

http://komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=318471

I prefer Seagate myself (5 year warranty)
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 12:56   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Seagate's warrenty is nice.
Samsung are reckoned to be quite good too.
Western Digital are another one.

I'm actually eyeing up this one from Western Digital at the moment, as I need more space again. It retails at around £60. That means it comes in at about 24p per gigabyte. Not bad really! It has a 3 year warrenty which isn't the best but should be adequate.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 00:25   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have two 250gb samsung spinpoint sata drives and they are ace. Very quiet and supposedly well made.

Failing that i hear good things about barracuda drives from seagate.

If you want 'speed' over silence then go for a WD 70 something gb raptor drive.
They are meant to be 'stonking quick'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 15:30   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In six years I've lost one IBM 'DeathStar' but never a WD or a Seagate (though even by MTBF that means I've been lucky across the eight of so drives I've had/have running in that time).

The Raptors are nippy and good for throwing the OS on, otherwise you can get slower (though not 'slow') large drives from most of the manufacturers now; I think 500gig is about the biggest you're likely to acquire at the time being (though the last time I looked was a little while ago so that might be subject to change).

To be honest, if you want stable just get two identical drives and run them as RAID-1. Decent RAID hardware should read from both drives simultaneously and as long as the two are on different channels there should really only be marginal write-speed difference (marginal being imperceptible). If one takes a dive, you've another sitting there with all your data, and when you throw in a replacement you can replicate all the data off it and be back up and running.

The whole idea of RAID was to introduce security to low-cost (and implicitly less-reliable) drives.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 18:21   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can get 750GB drives now, through the wonders of PMR. I think there are terrabyte desktop drives in the works for next year.

The problem I always have with RAID 1 is that it seems like such a giant waste of space for anything other than mission critical data, and by the time you get to that stage you're probably in a corporate environment running some sort of hardware RAID 5 or one of its variations.
My method of data security is a batch file which runs every night (my PC is always on) and copies all my documents and other "valuable" stuff to a drive on another computer in the house. As the amount I back up is less than 20GB and all 3 drives in this machine are 160GB, that's a substantial saving over RAID 1.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 18:29   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i would recommend seagate baracudas , always been reliable and fast for me
as pablissimo says, avoid ibm/hitachi/whoever bought them now deskstars - commonly known to those in the know as deathstars because of their terrible reliability
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 21:27   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

They sell hitachi in pcworld for absurd prices and im amazed anyone buys them especially when considering you could buy a sata cable for 2 quid and a samsung or western digital drive in the 'components' section of the place for internet prices.

"omg a box must be worth liek 40 quid...its got stickers on it and a manual 232 pages thick with 3 dedicated to english!"
Unread 14 Jul 2006, 08:16   #9
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I use Western Digital and never have a problem with them. I use a 40GB for OS and a 350GB for storage. I got the 40GB for main drive because of a flaw with XP, in that if you don't have SP2, it won't read anything over 128GB I think, so if your PC crashes you're kinda screwed if you're using say a copy of XP that came out before SP2.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2006, 11:49   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

not if you use nlite to create a new winxp cd with sp2 bundled in it.