User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:53   #1
Smudgey
MisEducated

Smudgey is an unknown quantity at this point
An Idea for Spinner / Sim Tech / Jolt

Since spinner has left its obvious that PA will probably fold / end / die
so heres an idea

reduce the cost of playing the game for a couple of rounds, then raise it 1 pound/euro/doller for each other round. players say they want the old rounds - round 3 for example - USE THAT CODE!

now this might seem like common sense, but it would get players back playing.

also, the whole concept of payment. it would be more easier if people could pay in more ways. yes this costs a bit, but if people got together and sent monies to someone then they could buy bulk accounts and get them cheaper. this means there would be more players!!!

also in turn, this could lead to faster research, but thats something which could be added later on. this is one of the reasons why people play such things as a "PA Clone. granted its free of charge, but they can go back to the old school days, where you could choose warfare of science.

people are leaving the PA game/community like rats on a sinking ship. this sort of "radical" thinking mite pursuade some to stay, and take a more key roll in the community, because after all, wether you like it or not, if you participate in Planetarion, then you are part of a community, wether it be the mayor or just a lowly citizen watching things go by

those days there were such spirits in alliances, on irc and between random players.
bring back the old code, with cheaper prices, and maybe Planetarion can live on

feel free to PM me on irc with any responses, or post below

Smudge
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 20:55   #2
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough
Re: An Idea for Spinner / Sim Tech / Jolt

About r3 code: R3 code is so bugged that they needed 4++ servers to make it run. Now we got 1 (i think) server with the whole game on it.

Do you think, jolt got enough resources for a dying game to spend 4-6 servers on it?

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:04   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgey
players say they want the old rounds - round 3 for example - USE THAT CODE!
For the 14.379th time - That code no longer exists.
Quote:
yes this costs a bit, but if people got together and sent monies to someone then they could buy bulk accounts and get them cheaper.
Alliances are already doing this.
Quote:
those days there were such spirits in alliances, on irc and between random players.
Because the game was relatively new, free, there weren't much predefined alliances and powerblock-battles, and most imporantly, there were 180k players.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:11   #4
Smudgey
MisEducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
For the 14.379th time - That code no longer exists.
-----
then please explain how round 3 clones operate?
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:13   #5
AliasX
- Sex Therapist -

AliasX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
-----

I wasnt aware of a r3 clone...I know there is a R9 one
<meaple> I want 2 c ur cum
<Pyr0> patience young padowan
<AliasX> oh jeasus
<AliasX> this channel did turn gay
*** yahwe ([email protected]) has joined channel #forums
<Oye> that cant be a coincidence
<meaple> he heard you
AliasX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:15   #6
Smudgey
MisEducated

yeh there is

i wont give the url out thou or they will close the thread and spank me

oh and btw
Quote:
About r3 code: R3 code is so bugged that they needed 4++ servers to make it run. Now we got 1 (i think) server with the whole game on it
the R3 code can be "unbugged"
and we can then throw that on the server
or people can offer to host maybe?
i leave the floor open
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:16   #7
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
-----
Because they only mimic the code? they never had the actual round 3 code itself.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:18   #8
Smudgey
MisEducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden
Because they only mimic the code? they never had the actual round 3 code itself.
no poo sherlock!!
with a small amount of time they (PaTeam/Jolt/Sim Tech) can use the R3 clone code as at emplate to code the proper one
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:19   #9
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

there is a R1 clone aswell.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:23   #10
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
there is a R1 clone aswell.
we cld start from scratch then eh?
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:28   #11
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

The creators were never sentimental enough to keep old code. I very much doubt they even still have the r8 code. I know for a fact that they do not have any of the code from the old science/war game.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:37   #12
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
The creators were never sentimental enough to keep old code. I very much doubt they even still have the r8 code. I know for a fact that they do not have any of the code from the old science/war game.
as i said, clones!!
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:40   #13
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
as i said, clones!!
Theres hardly a point in continuing Planetarion if they have to resort to Cloning a Clone of there own game.

Does anyone else see the irony in his words?
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 21:59   #14
Smudge
For Crowly <3

but your not seeing the point!!!
if you want PA to continue something drastic must be done
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:33   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
but your not seeing the point!!!
if you want PA to continue something drastic must be done
And going back 3 years in time isn't it.
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:40   #16
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

r8 with a better zik, but weakened xan.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2003, 22:59   #17
BLACK_OPPS
Comrade LENIN

BLACK_OPPS is on a distinguished road

sadly p2p is no longer a viable option for PA it will not draw in crowds like it used to as of the gameing movement has gone foward why pay astonisly high game costs for PA when you can play simlar games for free and if you do want to play the money there are loads of RPGs witch are cheeper in the first place and involve more real time action

PA has reached the stage of retirement or beeing put out to pasture and allowed to graze free

think PA team need to think up other ways of funding the game and running it as a part time venture rather than a full time exploit like it used to be cuting costs and useing other methods of funing and fixing the distructive mess of PAX is the only way forward for PA
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.
Herman Goering
BLACK_OPPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 00:02   #18
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
Since spinner has left its obvious that PA will probably fold / end / die
reduce the cost of playing the game for a couple of rounds, then raise it 1 pound/euro/doller for each other round.
The problem is not the cost itself. Its the fact 99% of online community members will not pay for a web game unless they are completely addicted to it. *If* they are addicted then changes (read as large increases) in price are completely irrelevant. This has been proved in real life many a time, and cigarettes are a fine example.

People have sadly got to get over the fact they dont deserve web services like Planetarion or any other p2p game for free. In the not so distant future it is my opinion that the only online games left will be large corperate owned ones where relatively high prices are the norm. People who make free clones for a few rounds then fade away are actually also doing quite a lot of harm to the 'industry'.
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 09:09   #19
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard
The problem is not the cost itself. Its the fact 99% of online community members will not pay for a web game unless they are completely addicted to it. *If* they are addicted then changes (read as large increases) in price are completely irrelevant. This has been proved in real life many a time, and cigarettes are a fine example.

People have sadly got to get over the fact they dont deserve web services like Planetarion or any other p2p game for free. In the not so distant future it is my opinion that the only online games left will be large corperate owned ones where relatively high prices are the norm. People who make free clones for a few rounds then fade away are actually also doing quite a lot of harm to the 'industry'.
MEH!!!!!
do i have to say it again??
a) you have agreed that price increases would work
b) to make an ommlette (sp?) you gotta break some eggs
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 12:24   #20
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I never really get these pleas to go back to old code. Even if they had the code for teh early rounds It would make no difference to how enjoyable the game is. Games like this are built on their community and hence the community at the time shapes the way the game plays. Now its quite obvious the community now is differnt in so many ways that going back to code from the glory days would just be a dissapointment. The game wouldnt be the same, the atmospheer wouldnt be the same and we would end up destroying the memories we have built up of that round,

We can never recapture the glory days of past rounds, instead new glory days that fit around the community today need created.

As for the comment about the 'buggy' code requiring 4+ servers I'm not sure thats the real reason. How many players did r3 have, believe it was in region of 100k, how many players do we have now, 5k if we count the freebies. If we were to suddenly get 100k users of PAX I doubt a single server would handle the load
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 12:32   #21
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

r2/3/4 werent enjoybale because of the coding but because of the vast amount of players. Even if the code for those rounds existed, playing them would be just as bad as r8 or 9 due to the severe lack of players. Unfortunately we cant seem to attract that number of players back at the moment :/.
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 12:39   #22
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

tbh I think if you'd have the old huge playerbase in a newer round code (say R9 or whatever) it'd be much better than the 'old rounds'

It was all in the number of players. Nothing more, nothing less.
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 12:54   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm not completly sure about that hook, gameplay wise yes it would be as the game has come a long way but I think people often ignore the impact the community has. The community in general has become alot more serious over the rounds with alliances being more organised and the community has also become more fragmented. Its no longer a game where the community all mixes with each other but one where in general each small community (normally based around an alliance) sticks to itself.

I think even with 100k players we would struggle to break these barriers down so while the game may be better the community side which makes games like this special wouldnt be quite as vibrant. To get back to the sort of game we had we would have to get the player numbers up and also find a way of taking the game community back to what it was,

BUT is this really neccessary, do we really want the same game as in the past. The game should evolve and just needs designed in a way to make the new community structure work for it. We need to stop looking back at what we need to retain but instead look at what we have and how it can be made to work
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 17 Oct 2003, 13:19   #24
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

People need to stop assuming that we'd all want to go back in time.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 01:00   #25
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Its called having random rounds Wakey.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 02:31   #26
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough

I hardly think alliances have improved since r5.
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 11:34   #27
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Its called having random rounds Wakey.
Random rounds, as we have seen with the recent ones, doesnt bring the old style of play back. Theres still a differnt attitude and theres still a segregation between alliances. The playerbase has just become too used to putting their alliance first and will do everything they can to help them with the galaxy then being an afterthought. You just cant put the lid back on pandoras box and once the playters have got a taste of playing the 'alliance first' style they are never going to go fully back to the 'galaxy first'

As for Chax comment, perhaps the real powerhouses in the universe arent any better than those in r5 but I dont think you can really deny the profesionalism shown by the alliances in general has risen. Most alliance have moved across to the way of thinking that wasnt really present in r1 and r2 and which only a couple adopted in r3, r4 and r5. This has just changed the landscape of PA beyond reconitition
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 12:03   #28
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
BUT is this really neccessary, do we really want the same game as in the past. The game should evolve and just needs designed in a way to make the new community structure work for it. We need to stop looking back at what we need to retain but instead look at what we have and how it can be made to work
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 18:03   #29
TeraHertz
TeraHertz? Who's that?

TeraHertz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
people are leaving the PA game/community like rats on a sinking ship. this sort of "radical" thinking mite pursuade some to stay, and take a more key roll in the community, because after all, wether you like it or not, if you participate in Planetarion, then you are part of a community, wether it be the mayor or just a lowly citizen watching things go by

Personaly, I think the only way to save Planetarion is to turn back time and make all those who used to play the game have more time. However, I believe Planetarion to be an evil creation wasting away the "ticks" of our lives, making us unhealthy through lack of sleep, and diverting focus away from more important things like education, work, relationships, health and sport, and other such stuff.

It's not rats leaving a sinking ship, it's surgeons cutting the cancer from their lives.

Burn Planetarion. You faild to evolve with us. BURN.
TeraHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 12:57   #30
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraHertz
Personaly, I think the only way to save Planetarion is to turn back time and make all those who used to play the game have more time. However, I believe Planetarion to be an evil creation wasting away the "ticks" of our lives, making us unhealthy through lack of sleep, and diverting focus away from more important things like education, work, relationships, health and sport, and other such stuff.
Maybe the accessibility of PA should evolve too. In some ways, it is a bit like those tamagotchi items which you keep having to care for - looking if your galaxy has incoming, if a friend/ally has incoming or in general your fleet is needed (plus res/con ofc but thats mostly during the first days of a round). In previous times, you could use your wap-enabled handy to have a short peek at PA and start the next con/res.

Enabling the accessibility of regular maintenance like that on item's like PDA's and cellphones again, may help lessen the time-burden of PA. So less ppl need to make the decision to stop playing it (at least seriously).

It's surely not "the cure" to PA's problems - but it may be one of the pieces which help.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 15:46   #31
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockhead
About r3 code: R3 code is so bugged that they needed 4++ servers to make it run. Now we got 1 (i think) server with the whole game on it.

Do you think, jolt got enough resources for a dying game to spend 4-6 servers on it?
It's not about pure server-count. The "kind" of server makes a difference (one P4 2ghz > five 486DX33).

And, more important: Those servers were needed for traffic etc in the times of 180k players. Those time will NEVER come back.

[Here: http://linus.atorf.bei.t-online.de/p.../06-14-log.txt]
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 19:43   #32
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
MEH!!!!!
do i have to say it again??
a) you have agreed that price increases would work
b) to make an ommlette (sp?) you gotta break some eggs
<sigh>

No you dont have to say it again. Listen to what someone is saying before you jump in and make a retarded comment like that. It will make you look less like an idiot in future.

I said price increases will work for players that are addicted to the game. This solves the problem how? It provides a small revenue from the existing players whilst driving every other player ever away from an already dieing game. This does not solve the problem in the slightest. Incidentally its also completely contrary to your initial post of 'Reduce the round price' so I've no idea what your trying 'to say again'.

In my opinion PA are not really in any position to 'break eggs' they need all the players they can keep.