User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Sep 2003, 00:02   #1
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Beta's End

MOTD
I am going to leave the beta running AS IS, until Monday at 11:00 GMT, when it will be taken down. We will have a reset, so you might have to sign up again. Please await public announcement on the portal www.planetarion.com.
Written by Spinner Sun Sep 7 22:44:05 2003

In his infinite wisdom, the beta is going to be reset. This is without us having an extensive oppertunity to evaluate any new changes as per his thread on the beta forum.

I'm quite curious to know why they must reset the universe (and thus put us through the labourous task of doing all that research again) to test any changes that are made. tbh fixing the problems, such as killing far too many constructions, a wierd and changing score system, the occasional typo etc, should come first.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 00:18   #2
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
The answer my be earlier in the public beta forum thread you quoted that from, there is some sort of mystery DB problem that needs fixing first.

In earlier beta resets we were testing endgames, and were given a large portion of the tech tree, roids and resources to do so, it's reasonable to expect that might happen again.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 13:31   #3
Browolf
Veteran

Browolf is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont mind another reset, more chances to get my strategies tied down. Tho I'm beginning to suspect real pa just wont be the same anymore after playing so many speeded betas.

~browolf

Embrace the wind with both arms, Stop the clouds dead in sky, Hang your head no more,
And beg no more, Brother Wolf and Sister Moon
Browolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 16:27   #4
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
Since its a 500 player limit i HOPE and THINK that ticks will be faster than bl00dy 2mins :

2\3 mins at the max.
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 16:37   #5
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with Isil on this one.

As a Terran, the game isn't remotely interesting for a long, long, long time with 10 minute ticks.

I'm going to shoot myself in the real game at this rate

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 18:08   #6
Andy_r
X$X

Re: Beta's End

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
MOTD
I'm quite curious to know why they must reset the universe (and thus put us through the labourous task of doing all that research again) to test any changes that are made. tbh fixing the problems, such as killing far too many constructions, a wierd and changing score system, the occasional typo etc, should come first.
It seems from the 500 player limit that the forum turning into a running 2000 person flamewar was part of the issue. We also have many tweaks and typo fixes, and I assume construction killing has been adjusted.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 19:55   #7
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Hmm I heared there are just over 1000 planets in this new round now....
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 20:43   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Beta's End

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_r
It seems from the 500 player limit that the forum turning into a running 2000 person flamewar was part of the issue.
So they're going with the 500-person flamewar instead?

I don't know why they elected to use a proprietary forum for the beta instead of a regular vBulletin board (which they've used for betas in past rounds). A vBulletin board allows seperate forums (bugs, suggestions, flames, etc), duplicate threads can be merged or closed, as well as the usual moderator-type functions. Plus, you can edit posts, search for keywords, etc.

The beta forum was a major disappointment, and I wasted a lot of time looking through posts (mostly to see if a particular bug had already been reported but also attempting to re-locate threads that I was trying to follow). I don't know how anybody at HQ could possibly stay abreast of the beta forum. I know I couldn't.

I think a better beta forum would allow them to get a lot more out of the beta test; but, as always, it's their loss. :/
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 21:13   #9
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok
Hmm I heared there are just over 1000 planets in this new round now....
Hehe i was misinformed

[20:08:51] (MSG) (@Martok) BETA SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
[20:09:10] (MSG) (+Answer) er mochten er maar 500 meedoen (there were only allowed 500)
[20:09:20] (MSG) (@Martok) [insert very nasty curse][20:10:28] [20:09:20] (MSG) (+Answer) hmm, 't zijn er btw iets meer : 1.060 / 75 (hmm there are more: 1060 / 75)

Translations behind text
Now I get why he said that. He though the score/value was the number of planets / ranking
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 22:52   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Re: Re: Beta's End

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
but, as always, it's their loss. :/
The bad news is that their loss is our loss :\

btw i agree with you tac - the forums were shoddy at best
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 23:49   #11
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Re: Re: Re: Beta's End

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I think a better beta forum would allow them to get a lot more out of the beta test; but, as always, it's their loss. :/
My sentiment exactly, which is why I didn't even bother to sign up for the public beta. Having beein in the closed beta and realizing that the boards we had were useless made me believe that there was nothing I could do in the beta to help test the game.
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 00:00   #12
Andy_r
X$X

Wierdly enough, Fudge is currently going through all the threads on the new beta board and posting the word "fixed" in about 1 thread every 5 minutes at the moment!

I'm amazed!