User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Apr 2011, 10:43   #1
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
Message from Commanders for Def Page

As the title says!

Information like what to build for defence, or whom not to defend could be dropped there.

Easy to implement and i am sure not too much additional load for the page (i hope)

Edit: I am talking about the Alliance Defence Page

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2011, 11:20   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Message from Commanders for Def Page

We also need a field to tell your alliance from whom to expect incs tonight, a field to detail which HCs will be around and when, some place to put information about synchronized exiling, and some way to tell to the whole alliance what I had for lunch yesterday.

Or, rather than adding ****ing useless shit to PA, you could just send an alliance mail.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2011, 12:49   #3
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I do not think that this is really needed. You could just send an alliance mail!
Yeah but then i am located on the defence page and have to open another window to find the mail where the HC stated 745 ticks ago who is on the no defence list...

instead of having it posted on the same page!

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 17 Apr 2011, 02:57   #4
budious
Egoistic Warmonger

budious has a spectacular aura aboutbudious has a spectacular aura about

So have a member list action with checkboxes next to each and if you check it off then any incoming messages get parsed into another color text and there is no action available for setting status or updating note or bcalc link. It would just be flagged uncovered automatically, etc.? On second thought, how about you just kick the members you don't give a crap about that then you won't have to worry about only counting your top 50... oh right, they can still send defense, they just don't expect to get it themselves.

And you wonder why no new comers to this game can bother taking it seriously? You've systematically made a mockery out of it over the years.
budious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2011, 13:19   #5
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by budious View Post
So have a member list action with checkboxes next to each and if you check it off then any incoming messages get parsed into another color text and there is no action available for setting status or updating note or bcalc link. It would just be flagged uncovered automatically, etc.? On second thought, how about you just kick the members you don't give a crap about that then you won't have to worry about only counting your top 50... oh right, they can still send defense, they just don't expect to get it themselves.

And you wonder why no new comers to this game can bother taking it seriously? You've systematically made a mockery out of it over the years.
Yeah those checkboxes would ofc be ace (and tbh they should be there since ages) but however, that requires looking deep into the code.
Adding just a motd doesnt.

i am not sure about you "critics" though. I personally think there is a dozen of other reasons why newcomers dont "get virused by PA".

After all this is a military game, and an alliance (which isnt able to cover everyone) should be able to decide whom to cover and whom to sacrifice.

If the US Military would face an Invasion with 3 of their cities beeing attacked, while only having the capacity to fully safe 2 of them. Donīt you think they would decide Pro Washington and New York and contra Savannah ?
I think they would...

Unread 18 Apr 2011, 06:19   #6
Foxman

Foxman is just really niceFoxman is just really niceFoxman is just really niceFoxman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
Yeah but then i am located on the defence page and have to open another window to find the mail where the HC stated 745 ticks ago who is on the no defence list...

instead of having it posted on the same page!
if u dont have the iq to remember a couple of ships to build, then ur a lost cause as far as planetarion goes, so who cares...
Foxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2011, 08:05   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wish people would stop comparing games to wars.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 18 Apr 2011, 15:03   #8
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Yeah, let's not compare games to wars, that concept is ridiculous and that's why combat simulation games don't exist.

Also most of these features aren't really that difficult to code, text based game and all :P
Unread 18 Apr 2011, 15:24   #9
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyi View Post
Yeah, let's not compare games to wars, that concept is ridiculous and that's why combat simulation games don't exist.

Also most of these features aren't really that difficult to code, text based game and all :P
The point is, this is not a military simulation, its a military game. Its like comparing Starfox to Microsoft Simulator X, then deciding starfox needs all that information and dials.

The other thing is, while it might not be difficult to code.. Is it worth cluttering up more space with text and text boxes for a feature which will be mainly ignored by alliance members and most HC's wont use it (or they'll input something at the start of the round which will never be updated or changed).
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2011, 15:42   #10
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
The point is, this is not a military simulation, its a military game. Its like comparing Starfox to Microsoft Simulator X, then deciding starfox needs all that information and dials.

The other thing is, while it might not be difficult to code.. Is it worth cluttering up more space with text and text boxes for a feature which will be mainly ignored by alliance members and most HC's wont use it (or they'll input something at the start of the round which will never be updated or changed).
Your first point is as silly as Mzyxptlk's, a feature should be chosen based on what's useful to the game, to make the game play better. I can tell you right now game developers don't worry about crossing into other genres, that's what most modern games have to do to stay original (those that are).

To your 2nd point, I didn't comment upon this feature specifically did I? I just said "most of these features" I was in fact referring to the suggestions board, maybe I could have made that clearer. My point was they aren't hard to implement, and in reply to "that requires looking deep into the code". In addition, your point for dismissal is idiotic, a decent developer doesn't just dismiss because of "clutter" they assess the UI and seek to make improvements, something that's very easy to do in a browser game.

I've made no opinion on these suggestions just simply stating, firstly it's stupid to dismiss an analogy between a game and war, in a combat game. Secondly, the features suggested here (and in the rest of this board) are not too difficult to implement it's more a case of PA team finding the time. Finally, comparing StarCraft to MSX is actually far more daft than what M0RPH3US said. His analogy made sense and was relevant to his point.

Seems to me like PA forums are full of quite a few bitter people now. Ha. Why don't you just say you'd rather not have the feature than make up a load of mindless BS.

Last edited by Zeyi; 18 Apr 2011 at 16:05.
Zeyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2011, 16:23   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
The other thing is, while it might not be difficult to code.. Is it worth cluttering up more space with text and text boxes for a feature which will be mainly ignored (...)
This is actually the thing that worries me most about suggestions like this and why you'll rarely see me endorse them wholeheartedly.

Now it must be said in advance that I'm not an interface design guy, so I'm very wary of objecting to specific user interface suggestions. However, cluttering up your UI is almost always a bad idea, because they make it hard to understand what's going on, make finding the information you want a painful ordeal and encourage first-time users to just give up and do something else. In a world in which one too many input fields on your sign up form can significantly reduce your conversion rate, I don't think that can be emphasized enough.

Even if each individual addition doesn't make much of a difference, years of ignorance in the UI department (by which I mean it hasn't existed) and countless changes in that same time has led us to a UI which I can only assume causes designers to have nightmares.
Unread 19 Apr 2011, 16:00   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

This is pretty topical.