User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:36   #1
Xeno
hirr

Xeno will become famous soon enoughXeno will become famous soon enough
Illegal characters

I just tried to sign up, but I failed. Here's the error message that was presented to me:

Your Rulername either contains illegal characters or is too long or too short (2-20).
Your Planetname either contains illegal characters or is too long or too short (2-20).

I wasn't doing anything fancy at all. The characters that were rejected were simply ' and ` (common signs in many languages, English included).

Any chance this is going to change?

Xeno
...who still hasn't signed up.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:41   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
If I heard right PA is running off a mysql database now. If this is right I know for a fact that the database wont accept the likes of ' without them being escaped first (basically meaning they need a \ placed before them)

It appears that whoever has coded the signup page decided to forbid these charchters rather than write code to escape them before putting them into the db and later when they need retrieved remove the redundant \ from the string
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:45   #3
Xeno
hirr

Thanks for the input, wakey.

I'm still hoping Spinner & co. will change this and state so in this thread.

Xeno
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 20:41   #4
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
yeh "~" is also an illegal character rather annoyingly :/
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 22:51   #5
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
2-20 for ruler and planet but only 5-10 for login name? What on earth is the point of that?
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 23:59   #6
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Valid characters are:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
'space'

This is unlikely to change.
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 00:37   #7
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
2-20 for ruler and planet but only 5-10 for login name? What on earth is the point of that?
My guess is becuase it's harder to guess a 5-letter (70 mil combos my calculator tells me) word than 2 (1400), and you can't login using a ruler name.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 01:15   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
My guess is becuase it's harder to guess a 5-letter (70 mil combos my calculator tells me) word than 2 (1400), and you can't login using a ruler name.
Surely the password protects the user name though? A valid argument can be made for requiring a password to be at least 5 (or more) characters in the interests of security; but given that I really don't see how that argument can be applied to user names.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 04:14   #9
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
It's easier to guess a username when the limit is 5-10 characters than if it is 2-20 characters.

Just because the option exists doesn't mean people will use it
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 05:29   #10
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Surely the password protects the user name though? A valid argument can be made for requiring a password to be at least 5 (or more) characters in the interests of security; but given that I really don't see how that argument can be applied to user names.
Yea, but having both means twice the protection. Someone might know your password from previous rounds or other games or wherever, but needing to figure out the user name just makes it more secure.

Not that it matters much, odds are half the people out there use their IRC nick and 'password'.

Unread 27 Aug 2003, 08:27   #11
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
You cant use > in the galname any longer
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 08:39   #12
Xeno
hirr

Quote:
Originally posted by A2
Valid characters are:
'space'

This is ignorant. I almost wanna say "xenofobic", even.

Xeno
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 09:23   #13
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

All hail the UK Gestapo.

:\
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 14:14   #14
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Xeno
This is ignorant. I almost wanna say "xenofobic", even.

Xeno

But instead you would say "xenophobic".

Unread 27 Aug 2003, 14:29   #15
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by A2
Valid characters are:
'space'

I can understand why certain charachters have been made illegal HOWEVER surely things like , ' _ and - are valid for use as names and should be allowed

ie Wakey of Wakey's World
or Von-Neuman of CPU
or Street_Rat of Oz
or Veni, vedi, vinci of Latin

Would all be rejected as planet/ruler name combinations due to illegal charachters for no real valid reason.

If this same restriction is also impossed on galaxy names ect its going to cause even great problems
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 15:23   #16
Xeno
hirr

Quote:
But instead you would say "xenophobic".
Well put. My mother's tongue made a freudian slip.

Xeno
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 16:11   #17
(°>
lowly ensign

(°> is an unknown quantity at this point
If they are using PHP some charcters can do nasty stuff to a MYSQL database query.
Unless they use addslashes and stripslashes ....
but it's easier to just limit the input to alphanumeric

if (!preg_match("/^[a-z0-9]+$/i", $username)) {echo ("Alphanumeric characters only.") ; exit;}

Shame \o/ but it's what I'd do.
(°> is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 17:03   #18
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by wakey

If this same restriction is also impossed on galaxy names ect its going to cause even great problems

Seems there is the same restriction to galnames yes :/
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 17:12   #19
FSW

FSW is an unknown quantity at this point
Over-use of some characters can be annoying. However, - and _ should be allowed...
[ and ] would be useful for tags, as well.
R3: Hand of Thrawn of Graveyard of Alderaan 126:15:15
R4: Hand of Thrawn of Graveyard of Alderaan (forgot)
R5: (forgot)
R6: (forgot if I even played)
R7: FSW of Maia 36:4:?
R8: FSW of Maia (forgot)
R9.5: Drone of Recovery 4:10:24
FSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 18:48   #20
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Quote:
Originally posted by FSW
Over-use of some characters can be annoying. However, - and _ should be allowed...
[ and ] would be useful for tags, as well.
ack, didn't even think of that...no brackets, parens, or anything other than spaces to seperate tags...maybe it's their attempt to stop people from using tags, but you know they're gonna try anyways and get something really ugly.

Unread 27 Aug 2003, 18:53   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
ack, didn't even think of that...no brackets, parens, or anything other than spaces to seperate tags...maybe it's their attempt to stop people from using tags, but you know they're gonna try anyways and get something really ugly.

I think someone suggested a separate little bit for gal tags in the beta (although I might be going mad so never mind).
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 19:19   #22
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Didnt even think of that [] in galnames doesnt work...that really is utter bollox :/
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 19:30   #23
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
I think someone suggested a separate little bit for gal tags in the beta (although I might be going mad so never mind).
yep, we suggested it....
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote