User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

View Poll Results: How many races should there be?
4 9 20.45%
5 8 18.18%
6 24 54.55%
Other 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 27 Sep 2016, 10:49   #1
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Jintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of light
How many races should their be?

Hey all

This past round we only played with 4 races in the hopes it would improve the quality of shipstats by having less races.

In some threads i've been reading some comments about it like:
  • Not enough diversity with 4 races
  • 6 races would give every attack fleet a teamup partner
  • The more races we have, how more diversity we have

I felt this discussion deserved it's own topic.

How many races would work best in terms of creating good shipstats, have enough diversity, playability, prevent stagnation, ... and why?
Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 12:25   #2
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of
Re: How many races should their be?

What happened to 1 2 and 3? Why gather them under 'Other' when they are as valid as the ones given their own slot
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 12:29   #3
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

Is there in PA history other types of ships besides Normal, Emp, Cloak, Steal? I think if there was to be a 6th race, there should be a different kind of ship too.
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 12:45   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the number of pods in the stats (and by extension, the number of roiding fleets) is more important than the number of races.

I like the number of roiding fleets to be divisible by the number of classes (6). 6, 12 and 18 pods are all OK. However, 6 pods means that there's no overlap between the races, which makes teamups pointless and alliance fleet strategies much less interesting. 18... well, 18 is a lot of bloody pods, leaving very little room for actual combat ships. So I like 12.

Whether you achieve that by making 4 races (with 3 pods each), 5 races (some with 2 and some with 3 pods), or 6 races (with 2 pods each) is much less important to me.

Therefore, I voted 'other'.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 27 Sep 2016 at 12:51.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 15:32   #5
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

U dont have to make each race symetric.
Ive said this a million times, as you base your stats on some "tiamata-esque" approach.
If cath/etd has 3 pods each, you can have more fleets with EMP attack ships, wich is good in this modern fast paced value PA.
Less "zero loss(def ships that fire before the attacker)" def ships is key, as no one in their right mind will land a dark red calc for 90% of the round anyways. The only ones landing red calcs is trolls, like Asc/HEROES, or alliance on a mission to destroy another alliance.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 17:15   #6
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I think the number of pods in the stats (and by extension, the number of roiding fleets) is more important than the number of races.

I like the number of roiding fleets to be divisible by the number of classes (6). 6, 12 and 18 pods are all OK. However, 6 pods means that there's no overlap between the races, which makes teamups pointless and alliance fleet strategies much less interesting. 18... well, 18 is a lot of bloody pods, leaving very little room for actual combat ships. So I like 12.

Whether you achieve that by making 4 races (with 3 pods each), 5 races (some with 2 and some with 3 pods), or 6 races (with 2 pods each) is much less important to me.

Therefore, I voted 'other'.
Or 3 races with 4 pods each?
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 19:15   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
U dont have to make each race symetric.
I explictly included that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Or 3 races with 4 pods each?
I don't really like the idea, but I can't come up with a good argument against it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 19:17   #8
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
I explictly included that option.
I wasnt aiming at you.
More of the requirments that Jintao has been setting up for stats the last rounds

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 19:19   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.

OK.

Relatedly: People who voted for 6 races, what should the 6th race be? I think we can all agree that another mix-of-everything-else like Etd is not what we should aim for. But what then?
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 19:37   #10
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Not Subversion. Just don't.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 19:54   #11
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Jintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of light

Lol i think we are moving a bit too far ahead of ourselves. At the moment it's just a question being asked.
If it's ever descided to add a 6th race, i'm guessing there will be a long discussion on what it should be then.

So let's not have it now and focus on the original question: Do we even need a 6th race?
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 20:16   #12
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
OK.

Relatedly: People who voted for 6 races, what should the 6th race be? I think we can all agree that another mix-of-everything-else like Etd is not what we should aim for. But what then?
Science (EMP/Cloak) / War (Normal/Steal)

3 variations on each.
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 20:31   #13
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Please learn the difference between their and there.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 21:02   #14
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
Great input.
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 21:37   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintao View Post
Lol i think we are moving a bit too far ahead of ourselves. At the moment it's just a question being asked.
If it's ever descided to add a 6th race, i'm guessing there will be a long discussion on what it should be then.
Yeah, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that with 5 whole votes, the 6th race is now a fact. But if we all vote for 6th race, and then it turns out no one has any good suggestions for what that may be, then our votes are kind of useless. I'm just trying to explore the possibility space.

I've tried to come up with ideas for new ship types in the past, and quite frankly, didn't get much farther than a turtle race with very high armor, mediocre damage and very slow init, pretty much Terran-squared... I think we can do better than that.
Unread 27 Sep 2016, 21:56   #16
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

What if we start with a sketch that the "ability" is a drawback. Awesome ships in terms of stats but with abilities that hinder them.

I just thought something like:

Phasing: each combat a random part of the ships with this ability doesn't take part in combat
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 09:29   #17
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

6 races please
2 pods per race
= 12 roiding fleets
2 FI roiding fleets
2 CO roiding fleets
2 FR roiding fleets
2 DE roiding fleets
2 CR roiding fleets
2 BS roiding fleets

NICE BALANCE CHEERS
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 09:31   #18
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

RACE BREAKDOWN

Terran (100% heavy kill)
Cathaar (100% EMP, 1 kill maybe)
Xan (100% cloak)
Zik (100% Steal, 1 kill maybe)
Etd (Terran base, with steal ships & some cloak)
Pilgrims (Cathaar base, with kill ships & some EMP)
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 10:30   #19
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05 View Post
Science (EMP/Cloak) / War (Normal/Steal)

3 variations on each.
I like this idea.
Also I don't think a 5th race or 6th race should necesarrily be a mix of different types of ships or introduce a new type of damage (**** subversion).
For me 2 races who only have NORMAL/STEAL/EMP/CLOAK ships but with a different focus/playstyle is perfectly acceptable.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 10:35   #20
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

eksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds
Maybe you could teach him pal!
eksero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 10:37   #21
Damakles

Damakles is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj View Post
6 races please
2 pods per race
= 12 roiding fleets
2 FI roiding fleets
2 CO roiding fleets
2 FR roiding fleets
2 DE roiding fleets
2 CR roiding fleets
2 BS roiding fleets

NICE BALANCE CHEERS

Would love to see, cant see it happening
Damakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 17:03   #22
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

newRace is driven by instant profits. They thrive on pillaging, looting and salvaging.
Their swift attack boats allow them to move in and out of combat very quickly. Give them 4 fleetslots.
Their people are mostly on the move, scouting for new targets. They don't need an infrastructure on their planet, all they need is Speed and ships. (Max 50 constructions, slow construction, slow research. Basicly - their research is half-way finished with startup bonus)

This race really profits from combat trough Attacking Salvage.
They have very weak but insanely expensive astropods. They don't attack your planet for the asteroids, they attack it for the raw RESOURCES they can harvest from yours. (Cargo ships style here, but maybe not limited to amount of resources earned / tick).

There is only x amount of resources that can be gathered from a planet when hitting it. Since the gains newRace gets are not sustainable (they don't have roids, they need to profit from the actual harvesting of resources) teaming up for huge battles really isn't profitable, certainly not at earlier stages of the round.

Needs to be fleshed out, but think most of this is already in the game in some way.

Additional Idea 1:
Bonus salvage for defending planets that manage to 'win' a battle at their planet. (Because the attackers would be carrying resources etc)

Additional Idea 2: (this is probably harder to implement)
Red defence could be a thing again. let the newRace actually combat both attacking and defending fleets at a planet.

Last edited by berten; 28 Sep 2016 at 17:47.
berten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 17:20   #23
lince

lince will become famous soon enoughlince will become famous soon enough

Although this might seem very abusable, i like this idea.
It gives a new setup and strat for a new way of playing.
lince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 20:25   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berten View Post
newRace
Interesting idea, but I'm not really feeling it. I see 2 main problems: 1) How can the means of income you list (attacking salvage, cargo ships) ever compete with your standard 1k roids, core4, 60 FCs, 50 refs top 100 tot planet that's gaining 153k value a day? 2) You say the race doesn't have roids, why would planets choose to defend against them, if they can just spend their stocks adn hide their ships instead?
Unread 28 Sep 2016, 21:15   #25
Caj
speed demon

Quote:
Interesting idea, but I'm not really feeling it. I see 2 main problems: 1) How can the means of income you list (attacking salvage, cargo ships) ever compete with your standard 1k roids, core4, 60 FCs, 50 refs top 100 tot planet that's gaining 153k value a day? 2) You say the race doesn't have roids, why would planets choose to defend against them, if they can just spend their stocks adn hide their ships instead?
because new race steals structures and gets the effect of the structures x5 to make up for no roids
and new race has OP covoping. In that the success ratio is the same, but new race gets x5 bonus when completing a covop
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 10:09   #26
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj
because new race steals structures and gets the effect of the structures x5 to make up for no roids
and new race has OP covoping. In that the success ratio is the same, but new race gets x5 bonus when completing a covop
1) The entire point is they don't need to keep up. The race is ment to be a thorn in the side of these top planets. They can focus solely on attacking, don't need defships and can actually steal ALOT of res from these top planets

The goal is to spread the fleets over multiple targets where they can deal considerable losses (think: 5-6 ticks of income for each wave landing?) rather then grabbing 500 roids from 1 2k planet. This way with enough effort you could actually still cause said top planet to gain no income for 24hours straight, but he atleast has a chance to cover some of your waves, even if the first one manages to land.

2) Hiding ships takes 8 ticks - what if my alliance sends a wave 2?

3) Having ships in prod means there is half-finished ships and stocks of resources in these factories. Those could be mine, if I only tried to actually get them!

Last edited by Appocomaster; 29 Sep 2016 at 15:53.
berten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 13:11   #27
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
The race is ment to be a thorn in the side of these top planets. They can focus solely on attacking, don't need defships and can actually steal ALOT of res from these top planets. (...) think: 5-6 ticks of income for each wave landing
Why would a top planet keep 5-6 ticks of income around when it's getting hit with cargoships? And anyway, I would need to land 4 such attacks a day to keep up with other planets. I'd guess the land rate of solo attacks is about 50%, so that would mean 8 attacks a day, 4 at daytime, 4 at night. That's a lot of effort to get in the same ballpark as normal value planets, which send maybe 3 fleets a day, and even if they don't land for a while, their roids will continue giving them income.

The thing is, while gaining resources is the goal of value-based PA strategies, you don't actually want to have to go out to get resources directly. It's much more efficient to sit on your ass gaining value passively, ie from your roids. Sitting on 500 roids is better than capping X ticks worth of income that those 500 roids would generate, for almost any X, because if you have the roids (not necessarily capped in one attack or even one day), you get the income even if you don't land for a while, whereas if you depend on stealing resources, you have to cap every day or fall behind.

And that's on top of requiring that there's no methods of stopping you from capping even if you land clean, by hiding the treasure (whatever it is) in some way.

Quote:
1) The entire point is they don't need to keep up.
Yes, you really do. I'm not saying every planet has to work in a value-based way (preferably not, in fact), but PA is a competitive game, and if you start off your argument with "well, this race can't keep up, but", then you've already lost.

Quote:
Hiding ships is currently instant, is this a new feature you're suggesting? What about if I launch (or prelaunch) my ships for a tick, can newRace still get at them then?

Quote:
3) Having ships in prod means there is half-finished ships and stocks of resources in these factories. Those could be mine, if I only tried to actually get them!
I kind of like this idea, as it counters stocking in a natural way. I suspect planets would just build more factories, though, to ensure you can always prod out your stocks if you get hit by newRace.
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 13:45   #28
Veil05
NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj
Quote:
1) The entire point is they don't need to keep up. The race is ment to be a thorn in the side of these top planets. They can focus solely on attacking, don't need defships and can actually steal ALOT of res from these top planets

The goal is to spread the fleets over multiple targets where they can deal considerable losses (think: 5-6 ticks of income for each wave landing?) rather then grabbing 500 roids from 1 2k planet. This way with enough effort you could actually still cause said top planet to gain no income for 24hours straight, but he atleast has a chance to cover some of your waves, even if the first one manages to land.

You literally never mentioned any of these things.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 29 Sep 2016 at 15:54.
Veil05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 14:28   #29
berten
respect, unity, order

Quote:
Why would a top planet keep 5-6 ticks of income around when it's getting hit with cargoships? And anyway, I would need to land 4 such attacks a day to keep up with other planets. I'd guess the land rate of solo attacks is about 50%, so that would mean 8 attacks a day, 4 at daytime, 4 at night. That's a lot of effort to get in the same ballpark as normal value planets, which send maybe 3 fleets a day, and even if they don't land for a while, their roids will continue giving them income.
Stealable resources != Stock
Stealable resources == Earnings from combat tick + stock + ongoing constructions + ongoing productions + ongoing ship sales + salvage from dying ships

Quote:
The thing is, while gaining resources is the goal of value-based PA strategies, you don't actually want to have to go out to get resources directly. It's much more efficient to sit on your ass gaining value passively, ie from your roids. Sitting on 500 roids is better than capping X ticks worth of income that those 500 roids would generate, for almost any X, because if you have the roids (not necessarily capped in one attack or even one day), you get the income even if you don't land for a while, whereas if you depend on stealing resources, you have to cap every day or fall behind.

And that's on top of requiring that there's no methods of stopping you from capping even if you land clean, by hiding the treasure (whatever it is) in some way.
newRace planets do still have a basic infrastructure. If i want a sustainable income I could opt to get some refineries going. - Every planet in planetarion starts with the ability to mine 100 asteroids. ....

The point is: while your planet will never generate enough to keep up, your 'raids' will help you to keep up.

Quote:
Yes, you really do. I'm not saying every planet has to work in a value-based way (preferably not, in fact), but PA is a competitive game, and if you start off your argument with "well, this race can't keep up, but", then you've already lost.
Yes, but since you only require attackships, you'll not be sinking resources into defships. currently 3-400 roid planets can't keep up with value either, still their attacks hurt, cause they can focus on 1 ship-type.

Quote:
Hiding ships is currently instant, is this a new feature you're suggesting? What about if I launch (or prelaunch) my ships for a tick, can newRace still get at them then?
Was referring to ship-selling. Ships that aren't in base shouldn't be considered in the calculations. See above for basic calculation

Anyways, just trying to describe the idea a bit and using you as a sparring partner mz.

I guess I want to introduce a hit & run race. Grab what you can. Even in very tight corners you could come out ahead (maybe you are not able to recall attacks, but everyone of your ships has a 33% chance to limp out of combat rather then die? - (dc's can't just cover with 'equal value loss', they'll need to make sure defence is worth it, cause newRace is going to land anyhow!!)). Nothing is to be gained by attacking your planet, but when the defending party manages to spring a trap on you (cover your attack) they'll be feasting on your juicy cargo.
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 14:31   #30
berten
respect, unity, order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05 View Post
You literally never mentioned any of these things.

Damn Veil this is a bad quote :s - who are you talking to?
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 15:00   #31
Veil05
NE

Quote:
Damn Veil this is a bad quote :s - who are you talking to?
You elaborated on your original post as if everyone should have known.

I think it'll be a challenge implementing such a different style/game play.
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 16:17   #32
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I don't personally have an issue with new styles of play (or even taking back a form of subversion) but I agree that having a race which it's not possible to win with is not really a viable solution.

A slightly different idea which I saw - related to attacker salvage - is that instead of getting any salvage, they get direct salvage in ships either of their own or of others, even when attacking (potentially). It'd be more of a unique race ability.
Unread 29 Sep 2016, 19:53   #33
Damakles

Damakles is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets just completely re-run round 3 stats, research and construction
Damakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2016, 13:44   #34
coolkat

coolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

6 races

terran= high armor
xan= cloaked high dmg
cath= emp
zik=steal
etd= steal + high armor
new race= Emp + cloak

just a suggestion, on new race... make it a Mashup of our top 4 sorta like what you did with etd. or if u want to implement some salvage ships that could be interesting but again will need to run through testing to make sure no abusable... but it will make fc tags alot stronger which can be interesting

for pod ships... I suggest more pods tbh... alot of people are using covert ops to get certain pod classes to play a class anyway... so just let the people build the pods to begin with so everyone isn't playing the same setups...I'm not saying 6 pod classes per race... but 2 is not enough...3-4 sounds alot more reasonable....

Last edited by coolkat; 2 Oct 2016 at 13:54.
coolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2016, 13:49   #35
coolkat

coolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

also.... full tag should contribute to score to remove effectiveness of support planets..... allies with top40 avg 7mil and bottom 20 avg 3mil.... and all bottom 20 on 1-2 ship builds???

somewhere it shows your system is broken and being abused

this only hurts the game and it's community tbh... if u want to keep large tags and try and reduce blocking.... I suggest full score contribution and remove defence from out of tag +1
coolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2016, 18:57   #36
august

august is an unknown quantity at this point

Since multipple races was included in planetarion it has Always been 4 ones. When i saw that zik was back and Etd was removed, my first reaction was to piety that they didnt also kept Etd so there was atleast 5 races in the game. I do belive that the crew whould implement up to 6-8 races, it makes this game even more interesting

August the crazy Sweden
Unread 12 Oct 2016, 18:33   #37
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

i think appoco was working on reimplementing subversive ships, no idea how far that is or if it can be implemented at all in the current battle engine!?

subversive race would for sure be an interesting additional option

other then that i was thinking about cloaked ships that have emp weapons only
this would be a rather easy implementation i would think and could be the sixth race we are looking for

overall (yes i voted 6 races) i think making stats with an even number of races is easier, escpecially as we are facing a even number of shipclasses
while saying this, i dont think rounds with just 4 races do any good - the game turns even more predictable then it allready was imo

Last but not least we could stick with 5 races and just add another shipclass - odd number of races with an odd number of shipclasses
Goliath Class slower and bigger then Battleships or a Drones Class if you wanna have it smaller and faster then your manned fighters

just some thoughts

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2016, 22:55   #38
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
Last but not least we could stick with 5 races and just add another shipclass - odd number of races with an odd number of shipclasses
Goliath Class slower and bigger then Battleships or a Drones Class if you wanna have it smaller and faster then your manned fighters

just some thoughts
Or remove a shipclass/pod - 5 races with (for example) Fi only being a defense ship.

4 races definitely feels like dumbed down Planetarion. Yes it makes balance easier, but balance is no good if it comes at the cost of fun/creativity.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2016, 23:21   #39
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
other then that i was thinking about cloaked ships that have emp weapons only
I'm not 100% on this, but I think cloak and EMP are already separate checkboxes in the engine.

Quote:
Interesting, I hadn't thought about adjusting the other side of the equation. Sadly, I feel 5/7 is only slightly better than 4/6: in both cases you end up with 4 classes that only contain a single roiding fleet: 5 races, 10 pods, 7 classes, 3x2 + 4x1 vs. 4 races, 8 pods, 6 classes, 2x2 + 4x1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
Or remove a shipclass/pod - 5 races with (for example) Fi only being a defense ship.
Weirdly, this I have thought about before. The main issue I see with it is that Fi (reasonable choice) gets this weird second class citizen status. I don't think it'll work out, but might be worth experimenting with in a beta set.
Unread 13 Oct 2016, 00:34   #40
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

My preference has always been to give Fi/Co one pod, the rest get two, still making it ten pods for five races. Fi/Co is inherently stronger, so limiting teamup options for those two was my way of managing them.

And yes, you can already have cloaked EMP (or Steal!) ships.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2016, 16:08   #41
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Patrikc and Mz are correct

The shiptype is split into 2 fields:
Cloack: yes/no (1/0)
Type: Normal, Emp, Steal, Pod, Sk, Resource

Any combination of these can technically be made. Only problem is that PA currently has no method to display what type of cloaked ship it is. It will just display cloaked in the shipstat overview.
Unread 13 Oct 2016, 18:44   #42
Papadoc

Papadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the rough

One of the hardest parts of even attempting to make a stat set (standard 5 races) is figuring out what to do with ETD. It has no true identity. More often than not, It's very strong and highly represented or a weird combination of ships that no one uses.

I'm all for a 6th race but, What on earth would we do with a 6th race without changing the combat engine?

I suppose there is the option of making all 6 races have every ship type. good luck with that!
Unread 13 Oct 2016, 20:22   #43
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc View Post
I suppose there is the option of making all 6 races have every ship type. good luck with that!
I think that's a serious option to consider. However, there is one big problem with it: the identity of the races is tied very closely to the type of ships they have. If you take that away, Zik will play exactly the same as Cat. To a large extent, that is already the case. At tick 300+ you do the exact same thing whether you're Ter or Xan. In my mind, there would have to be a big upside to compensate for turning the races a grey soup. I don't see one.

What might help Etd specifically is if we made it a little more focused. Not a bit of everything, but a mix of just two types, for example.
Unread 13 Oct 2016, 20:54   #44
Caj
speed demon

clear from poll community wants more racial diversity!
Unread 17 Oct 2016, 17:41   #45
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

What about ships that use their hull as a weapon? Sorta suicide-y with salvage or something as reward :P

Or a matryoshka style ship that becomes another smaller ship once destroyed - just being crazy here :P
Unread 18 Oct 2016, 00:13   #46
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj View Post
clear from poll community wants more racial diversity!
No it's clear that of the 30 odd ppl who voted, of which 10 don't play or are PA team, that 20 of them want more races. They don't represent the community.
Unread 18 Oct 2016, 09:08   #47
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado View Post
just being crazy here :P
Crazy is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
No it's clear that of the 30 odd ppl who voted, of which 10 don't play or are PA team, that 20 of them want more races. They don't represent the community.
We cannot take into account the opinions of people who refuse to voice it.
Unread 19 Oct 2016, 23:19   #48
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Crazy is good!

We cannot take into account the opinions of people who refuse to voice it.
We also can't make a sweeping statement about the opinions of the whole when 5% voted
Unread 21 Oct 2016, 01:41   #49
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

Lets discuss this again

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2016, 19:41   #50
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

6th race: one pod in every class, one "cargo ship" in every class. High armor, high emp res for the flak ships. Pods should be weak and expensive.

Peaceful stealing, faking possible somewhat. Give them an inherent bonus to mining output and/or significant ship production cost. Immune to ship stealing covops.

Stupid/funny/funky "support" planets.

I'm about 50% serious here.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote