User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 07:35   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!
 
Kargool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kenilworth Road
Posts: 3,002
Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Reporting abusive reps

I think there should be an option that you should be able to report reputation comments if they are abusive.

This could work the same way as it is if we report abusive posts. Cept for one difference. You will not know who is the person abusing you, but you could still report it. If the moderators find the rep message abusive it should be removed along with the reppoints lost (or given) and the person who did it should lose the privilige of using the reputation system for a while.

This way we weed out the abusive messages that shouldnt really be in there.
__________________
Planetarion veteran
Kargool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 07:36   #2
Phil^
Insomniac
 
Phil^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,583
Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

go to #forums, pm a mod, let them sort it.

i know the mods can delete or edit reps, dunno if it would restore the rep points lost or given tho.
as for restricting use of the rep system - dunno if thats possible but an account ban would certainly do it
__________________
Phil^
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 11:23   #3
Veedeejem!
Hibernating
 
Veedeejem!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Team Kesha
Posts: 1,619
Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting abusive reps

If you really want to stop abusive reps make it so the forumnick of the person giving the rep is automaticly added to it. It will discourage people from sending abusive reps as they are usually not signed
__________________
[InSomnia]
Official designated driver

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 11:43   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person
 
furball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,676
furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I don't think that it is a major problem at present, although I don't actually have any problems with neg reps .

If your reps are abusive and you feel this to be unacceptable, go to JammyJim (forums admin), JonnyBGood or Wakey (supermods) and they will take appropriate action. You can either board pm them or find them in #forums on Netgamers IRC (this isn't an official channel, mods just happen to live there).
__________________
Finally free!
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 13:37   #5
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Have names appear on both pos and neg rep. If you feel strongly enough to neg rep someone, you should be brave enough to have your name on it.
pos reps appear to be signed anyways
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 13:46   #6
Kargool
Up The Hatters!
 
Kargool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kenilworth Road
Posts: 3,002
Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Reporting abusive reps

The day I start caring about abusive reps is the day Smudge starts talking intelligent.

I was more thinking about alot of the new players who comes here, registers an account.
Doesnt know how to make post that are acceptable to the community and gets alot of foul comments in their pm's. I've been told about this by several people, especially from newstarting alliances that they dont understand why the people on the forums really need to write insulting messages behind their little red blobs.

Maybe instead of trying to make these people stay away from the forums you might try to tell them in a nice civilized way how to make posts.

So can we please do anything about this baboon behaviour and try to get the worst rep trollers to understand that in order for new people to think that this community likes getting new people on the boards and in the game they need to be met with a welcoming hand, not moronic insults and foul behaviour..
__________________
Planetarion veteran
Kargool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 13:53   #7
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak
 
Travler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the Word of the Lord
Posts: 765
Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
So can we please do anything about this baboon behaviour and try to get the worst rep trollers to understand that in order for new people to think that this community likes getting new people on the boards and in the game they need to be met with a welcoming hand, not moronic insults and foul behaviour..
Kargool makes a good point here. Every community will have a few bad apples so we need to find some way to minimize the damage they can do.
__________________
Matthew 24:9 (New International Version) "Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me."
Who the hell gave you posrep you christian fundamentalist?
god is bollox, mkay and you are not discussing it
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 14:09   #8
Smudge
For Crowly <3
 
Smudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,391
Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
The day I start caring about abusive reps is the day Smudge starts talking intelligent.

I was more thinking about alot of the new players who comes here, registers an account.
Doesnt know how to make post that are acceptable to the community and gets alot of foul comments in their pm's. I've been told about this by several people, especially from new starting alliances that they dont understand why the people on the forums really need to write insulting messages behind their little red blobs.

Maybe instead of trying to make these people stay away from the forums you might try to tell them in a nice civilized way how to make posts.

So can we please do anything about this baboon behaviour and try to get the worst rep trollers to understand that in order for new people to think that this community likes getting new people on the boards and in the game they need to be met with a welcoming hand, not moronic insults and foul behaviour..
First and foremost, the only reason Im being intelligent is the exam I have in 1 hour. Normal service will be resumed shortly.

Theres a sticky about the rep system at the top of the forums saying what it is. Most new forum members should read that prior to posting - when it was introduced I glanced at it then found out how cool the little blobs were. The point you make about new starting alliances isn't really valid due to the amount of feedback they get is because there threads arn't conducted in a "proper" manner. There is the Alliance HC 101 thread (which I found quite helpful when writing a recruitment thread) which gives new HC's a simple guide to how to write a recruitment thread.

Since its inception, I've found that the rep system is used for the philosophy of "e-penis". If it were able to be kept to Suggestions, Stratergy board and/or Ally Discussions then that would be helpful. Yes, I am going to alienate some people, but there is little use for it on some parts of it, ie General Discussion.
__________________
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 14:12   #9
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Every community will have a few bad apples so we need to find some way to minimize the damage they can do.
I agree, it is definately not good to let new people be met with a barrage of insults and pointless comments from immature "12 year olds" with anger/tolerance problems. Not that it is good for regulars to have to suffer these either.
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 14:59   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned
 
JonnyBGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Further to the right
Posts: 19,441
JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Censored words are starred out in reps. Comments that might well be considered trolling or flaming on the boards are allowed due to the fact that anti-trolling and anti-flaming rules are there so discussion remains healthy, sensible and on-topic. Reps are not discussions therefore this holds little relevance. Having new people being turned away from the boards would be a problem, much more so of a problem if they're actually being turned away from the game (I severely doubt this is the case though). Possibly new posters can't get repped or give rep until they have fifty posts? I'm not sure what the best approach would be in this area.
__________________
Some might ask what good is life without purpose but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 15:35   #11
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Why was rep made anonymous in the first place?
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:03   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned
 
JonnyBGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Further to the right
Posts: 19,441
JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

To avoid childish rep wars and the like.
__________________
Some might ask what good is life without purpose but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:06   #13
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Prevent one problem, create another.....
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:18   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned
 
JonnyBGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Further to the right
Posts: 19,441
JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

You are committing the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. In my considered opinion from well over 20,000 posts on these forums (the database was wiped in case you were wondering), over three and a half years moderating or admining and well over five years of viewing how people act in this community I find it distinctly likely that people would have made abusive rep comments even if the person they gave them to knew who was handing them out.
__________________
Some might ask what good is life without purpose but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:24   #15
Kargool
Up The Hatters!
 
Kargool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kenilworth Road
Posts: 3,002
Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Reps are not discussions therefore this holds little relevance. Having new people being turned away from the boards would be a problem, much more so of a problem if they're actually being turned away from the game (I severely doubt this is the case though). Possibly new posters can't get repped or give rep until they have fifty posts? I'm not sure what the best approach would be in this area.

I think it does hold some relevance if the person who gets this negreps actually reads them and feels both hurt and saddend by them. People, we have to understand that there are actual people hiding behind the nick and that people have feelings and that sometimes they can feel themselves unjustly punished for something they didnt comprehend or understand was wrong in their eyes.

As I said, i've talked to alot of people who actually HAS stopped posting on the forums because they got so much insults both in messages and in reps that they didnt want to use the forum as a medium for communication between the players as it should be. I advocate for them and feel that they should be accepted with the same sense of maturity and hospitality that you would usually give someone who tries to communicate with you. I hope that maybe atleast someone would try to atleast act more civilized when exposed to these new players instead of just shunning them. There has been enough attempts to kill this community that we dont need to start feeding on our own new players by insults or negrepping with comments like: You are an idiot and will always be etc etc..

I understand that some people might find it amusing to give red and green blobs to whomever they might want to give them to, and they should be allowed, by all means.. But maybe one thing that should be considered is to remove the comments field atleast for the red blobs. We dont need to have people being so much hurt that they dont want to play this game anymore.
__________________
Planetarion veteran

Last edited by Kargool; 25 Jan 2006 at 16:37.
Kargool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 16:30   #16
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You are committing the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. In my considered opinion from well over 20,000 posts on these forums (the database was wiped in case you were wondering), over three and a half years moderating or admining and well over five years of viewing how people act in this community I find it distinctly likely that people would have made abusive rep comments even if the person they gave them to knew who was handing them out.
I belive you, and I was not at all saying that the neg repping would stop. It would however be nice to be able to see who the childish people with the "OMG ur such a noob F**k off" comments are.
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 17:18   #17
Smudge
For Crowly <3
 
Smudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,391
Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I think the ways to address this are :

Limit rep to PA Discussions, Suggestions and Stratergy
Wipe the current rep and let everyone see who reps are from
Keep the current rep and let everyone see who reps them
Get rid of rep entirely
__________________
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 17:22   #18
Marv
Jazz Man
 
Marv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,494
Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

tbh if you -really- care that much about your rep your going abit deep anyway.

People make retarded replys on some posts and extreemly sensible ones on others, myself very much included.

So at the end of the day rep doesn't really show that much, especially as alot of people use it just to give someone a good bitch slapping with out them knowing who it is from.
__________________
Marv

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 17:31   #19
NRG-izer
aka Night-Sky - xVx HC
 
NRG-izer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 103
NRG-izer is just really niceNRG-izer is just really niceNRG-izer is just really niceNRG-izer is just really niceNRG-izer is just really nice
Re: Reporting abusive reps

i think the rep system should be removed...

some comments are not nice and really hurtfull..

ppl judge about someone without thinking.. and without knowing that one well..
__________________
xVx HC

past alliances :
r 01 - r 02 none
r 03 - r 04 TFD / ToT
r 05 - r 10,5 WP
r 11 LCH

present alliances :
since round 12 ViSioN aka xVx
NRG-izer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 17:37   #20
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I very much like knowing who is insulting me.... and why
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2006, 02:49   #21
Razgriz
Retired FCHC
 
Razgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Here here Kargool - i know alot of people that refuse to come on the forums because they've recived bd rep for just having a point of view.... including myself. They find it extremly demoralising.
__________________
Amidst of the eternal waves of time.
From a change of ripple shall the storm rise
Out of abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 17:34   #22
pig
1up on you
 
pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,006
pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Getting rep from someone you dont know is good for several reasons. It allows all members of the community to pos/neg rep. I myself sign pos/neg rep, im not scared of hiding it. People neg rep me and its good. I love it when someone reps me and I dont know it, it keeps there thought on that post in private but lets me know, rather than filling up the thread with flames and hatred threads in general and posts are alot better.

I believe there has been a genuine change in the way people post since rep, purely because people can judge them for what they write. IF you are a twat and you write shit, you will get neg repped. Hell im going to get neg repped for this. Hell I should neg rep you all for talking about rep. But at the end of the day rep is good, as alki said its the last bastion of hope on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I think the ways to address this are :

Limit rep to PA Discussions, Suggestions and Stratergy
Wipe the current rep and let everyone see who reps are from
Keep the current rep and let everyone see who reps them
Get rid of rep entirely
What about GD, AD, Roleplaying?

and no, no, no, no
__________________
pig
[1up]
pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 18:00   #23
Banned
Banned
 
Banned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: ******
Posts: 2,326
Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I think the ways to address this are :

Limit rep to PA Discussions, Suggestions and Stratergy
Wipe the current rep and let everyone see who reps are from
Keep the current rep and let everyone see who reps them
Get rid of rep entirely
That makes no sense.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 18:02   #24
Razgriz
Retired FCHC
 
Razgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Fair point pig however, it still stands that people are getting bad rep for simply having a point of view. Just a simple eg - someone gets bad rep for saying ITV is better than BBC1... it's just silly.
__________________
Amidst of the eternal waves of time.
From a change of ripple shall the storm rise
Out of abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 19:17   #25
Razgriz
Retired FCHC
 
Razgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I don't nessicary care, its more the point of the abuse in the comments and scaring of new people to the community.
__________________
Amidst of the eternal waves of time.
From a change of ripple shall the storm rise
Out of abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 21:32   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 13,941
Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I don't sign my reps, and I don't intend to start either. If I want to send someone a message with my name on it then I'll send them a PM.

Also, it was a GD idea which led to the forums having the rep system implemented originally (Tomkat's thread IIRC) so it doesn't really seem fair to remove it there.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2006, 18:59   #27
Victuri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Reporting abusive reps

rep is here to stay no point whining about it, instead get used to it and utilise it to its best ability
  Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2006, 20:59   #28
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victuri
rep is here to stay no point whining about it, instead get used to it and utilise it to its best ability

Rather childish attitude really, ofc things can, and should be changed if it is determined that a decision made has had a very negative side effect!
I see no problem in people having to put their names on a neg rep. Maybe if they had to, they might include a better reason than "OMG WTF, UR SUCH A NOOB. GO JUMP OFF A CLIFF" etc. Although I really dont care what those twits says, others, as kargool and others pointed out, might , and come to shun the forums because of it. This is what I would call a negative side effect, even though the idea was originally positive.
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 00:16   #29
Victuri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisto
Rather childish attitude really, ofc things can, and should be changed if it is determined that a decision made has had a very negative side effect!
Im intrigued why is it a childish attitude? There is no real arguments put forward to remove rep. The people that use these forums are not n00bs in general. Rather they are longstanding people. Rep is done from my understanding on other forums for people to comment on a particular post, rather than clogg them up with flames etc.

Judging from your negrep, you are using it as I suggested. Congratulations, dont get too jealous that I have more rep than you though.

Quote:
I see no problem in people having to put their names on a neg rep. Maybe if they had to, they might include a better reason than "OMG WTF, UR SUCH A NOOB. GO JUMP OFF A CLIFF" etc.
It wouldnt stop me to put OMG blah blah if my name is after it, infact I couldnt care less. Fact of the matter is its an annomynous way of telling people what they think about the post. Previously the pm function was there, but that is slow and doesnt have the impact that neg/pos rep has.

Quote:
Although I really dont care what those twits says, others, as kargool and others pointed out, might , and come to shun the forums because of it. This is what I would call a negative side effect, even though the idea was originally positive.
The idea is still positive, there are of course side effects, take away rep and the n00b comments will just be made more visible and in threads.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 00:26   #30
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victuri
Im intrigued why is it a childish attitude? There is no real arguments put forward to remove rep.
Did not argue for removing it. My point was that if people are detered from being active on this forum, and perhaps even reading it, due to getting senseless negrepping and banter from anonymous people, then there is a problem that needs to be solved. just saying that the current system is here to stay and thats it, is hardly a constructive attitude.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Victuri
The people that use these forums are not n00bs in general. Rather they are longstanding people.
And therefore it is irrelevant to make the conditions welcoming for any new people who sign up and want to be active?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victuri
Judging from your negrep, you are using it as I suggested. Congratulations, dont get too jealous that I have more rep than you though.
Que?
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 21:28   #31
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader
 
Rikard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apeldoorn / Amsterdam
Posts: 330
Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Reputations in AD are often based on alliance without any reason given. It allows for group forming and causes useless repwars and people whining about reps in forums. ironically whenever someone gives argumented reasons as to why reputation is to be removed, the commen reply is "if you dont care about rep, just ignore it, its not important anyway" if its not important why should we keep it?
__________________
NiNEONE
we look a lot tougher then we are

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 21:36   #32
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request
 
Rc mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 407
Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I don't think that it is a major problem at present, although I don't actually have any problems with neg reps .
Firstly lol to this as he neg repped me for neg repping him with good reason. You really dont care!


This feature adds nothing to nothing. It only seems to force players away from using the forums as they are unduely critisied for having an opinion. Yes "post quality" may reduce in your opinion but isnt the whole idea of the forums to spread ideas and increase the sence of community? I have now stopped using the forums because of this feature and I know many others have as well. Its alright saying "it doesnt matter and ignore it" but,

1) it is call reputation. A neg rep harms my reputation, and by rogue mods like furball who have large pos rep doing it it can vastly affect you. His 1 neg rep dropped me from 39 to -1 and a red square. You can't call it reputation and say it doesnt matter

2) It is just annoying, pure and simple. Remove it and save us from this un needed annoyence.

We know who post often and is respected. We don't need this method of measuring it.

Cm
__________________
Cm,
ASS DC
ex F-crew HC.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2006, 22:03   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 13,941
Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
2) It is just annoying, pure and simple. Remove it and save us from this un needed annoyence.
You don't seem to have explained why you can't ignore it though.

In fact, over on GD s|k has some sort of method where you can completely ignore the reputation system entirely (i.e. not see neg/pos reps) using some sort of Firefox plugin.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 02:53   #34
pig
1up on you
 
pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,006
pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
I cant ignore it because I feel having that red blob reflects badly on myself and my alliance for no reason, therefore making it matter.
If it reflects your alliance badly, dont post then. I believe its that simple. Rep is there as you quite rightly said to determine the reputation of a user. This is done on there posts. It is also done on wether or not you agree with there opinion. I personally think its a good way to measure a poster.

Im sure I gain more negrep than you, however im also sure I gain more pos rep on AD than you. Taking GD out of it, I would say that I get a high chunk of rep from AD, ie pos/neg rep. This indicates to me two things. Firstly people take notice of my posts, when they pos rep it, it indicates im doing something correctly. When I get negrepped it indicates some disagree with me or im doing something wrong. I adjust the way I post to concur with these thoughts.

I was going to negrep you. And for your mental note, I have 10100 reputation points, 2300 posts and ive been registered here for 4 years. That means I can decrease your rep by 128. I would put you in red. However I shant negrep you because you arent posting shit. However if you did post shit, and decreased by circa 130 rep points, you will know who it is.
__________________
pig
[1up]
pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 02:54   #35
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader
 
Rikard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apeldoorn / Amsterdam
Posts: 330
Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You don't seem to have explained why you can't ignore it though.

In fact, over on GD s|k has some sort of method where you can completely ignore the reputation system entirely (i.e. not see neg/pos reps) using some sort of Firefox plugin.
because others do look at and feel it might be important. its like someone walking beside you on the street constantly call you a cockfacedassmaster. it constantly irritates and affects public opinion about you. could you ignore it? sure, but rather i have it removed.
__________________
NiNEONE
we look a lot tougher then we are

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 02:59   #36
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader
 
Rikard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apeldoorn / Amsterdam
Posts: 330
Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
If it reflects your alliance badly, dont post then. I believe its that simple. Rep is there as you quite rightly said to determine the reputation of a user. This is done on there posts. It is also done on wether or not you agree with there opinion. I personally think its a good way to measure a poster.

Im sure I gain more negrep than you, however im also sure I gain more pos rep on AD than you. Taking GD out of it, I would say that I get a high chunk of rep from AD, ie pos/neg rep. This indicates to me two things. Firstly people take notice of my posts, when they pos rep it, it indicates im doing something correctly. When I get negrepped it indicates some disagree with me or im doing something wrong. I adjust the way I post to concur with these thoughts.

I was going to negrep you. And for your mental note, I have 10100 reputation points, 2300 posts and ive been registered here for 4 years. That means I can decrease your rep by 128. I would put you in red. However I shant negrep you because you arent posting shit. However if you did post shit, and decreased by circa 130 rep points, you will know who it is.
The reputational system isnt fair for that exact reason. you have been here for 4 years and for 4 years you and ur friends could costantly pos rep eachother. Sure you might get a lot of random pos reps, but when you and ur friends have constantly pos repped eachother for years, their reputation is far more valuable then the random posres of people who actually liked ur posts.

My 3 green dots dont reflect the amount of pos rep compared to neg rep either. i could post brilliant posts, get 10 random pos reps for it, gain 30 or 40 points with that, then on a totally unrelated issue i could get a random neg rep without any comment or a simple "omg eXilition with a green dot" comment, and those 40 points would be gone.

The system isnt fair because it favours elitism.
__________________
NiNEONE
we look a lot tougher then we are

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 05:04   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned
 
JonnyBGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Further to the right
Posts: 19,441
JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
The reputational system isnt fair for that exact reason. you have been here for 4 years and for 4 years you and ur friends could costantly pos rep eachother. Sure you might get a lot of random pos reps, but when you and ur friends have constantly pos repped eachother for years, their reputation is far more valuable then the random posres of people who actually liked ur posts.
The reputation system was only introduced slightly over a year ago.

Quote:
The system isnt fair because it favours elitism.
I'm not going to include myself in this because frankly I'm not that much of an arrogant prick but I've seen many bad posters in the red and not one with over 10,000 rep points.

An idea popped into my head the other day that every user would have a number of rep points and rep altering power for each forum depending on their number of posts and reps in and from that individual forum but to be honest I have bugger all clue how I could code that even if it was what people wanted.
__________________
Some might ask what good is life without purpose but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 07:14   #38
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari
 
Squidly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 939
Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Reporting abusive reps

JBG has a point... while there may to some extent be some circular repping going on... the posters with mucho green are usually quite good at posting well thought-out and worded posts. Whether you agree with them or not is a completely different story...

Example, you get these folks like Yeh and Max {red blobs galore, but just as examples here} who use poorly worded, and poorly reasoned ideas {sometimes even as low-grade flames} whereas you see pig and JBG and others who throw out decent reasoning to back up their points. Whether they are correct or not, they still get credit for adequately defending what they stand for.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 08:51   #39
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!
 
Chika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 1,812
Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold
Re: Reporting abusive reps

The rep system is clearly rubbish, when someone like me has Green blobs. Most of my posts are violent. Additionally, the rep system is quite harmless, you DON't have to see the comments. Minimize them. People won't write off your opinion when you post, even if you have 9 red blobs. I can't see the point of complaining.
If it makes you upset, just visualize the person actually taking the time to say a nasty comment to you. Then say these words: Fat, ugly, no girlfriend, weird, nasty, no friends, lame.* I can assure you, one of these fits. And then laugh, like this "hahaahaha".



*Therapy
__________________
Ascendancy
When Doves Cry
Chika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 09:50   #40
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(
 
Intruder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Only 5 times World Cup Winner Country
Posts: 496
Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future
Re: Reporting abusive reps

The funny thing i noticed is most of people who mentioned about rep system was for critisizing it and when ppl complain about it usually the admin answer is "hey ignore if bother you". So we have a feature who bothers most of the community but instead being removed or put into discussion he is simply kept cos please some admins who obviously have higher than average reputation.
I keep from posting on most forums and some i try to not post at all, since i was neg-repped for saying "welcome" o a forum where ppl thinks only a few old posted can say anything in there.
My point of view is admins dont care about having this forums for the community and created this system to keep new users from using it. Many can disagreee with me but experience tells me different.
If you want this forum only for you closed club, keep it. feel free to neg rep anonimously me for expessing my oppinion too.
__________________
Alliances:

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn



Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 10:29   #41
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader
 
Rikard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apeldoorn / Amsterdam
Posts: 330
Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
JBG has a point... while there may to some extent be some circular repping going on... the posters with mucho green are usually quite good at posting well thought-out and worded posts. Whether you agree with them or not is a completely different story...

Example, you get these folks like Yeh and Max {red blobs galore, but just as examples here} who use poorly worded, and poorly reasoned ideas {sometimes even as low-grade flames} whereas you see pig and JBG and others who throw out decent reasoning to back up their points. Whether they are correct or not, they still get credit for adequately defending what they stand for.
excuse me for saying this because i know a lot of you will fail to see this but the rubbish that pig has posted the last half year is absolutely gash. not only that but he even made a fakenick to start flaming and trolling without having his "good name" affected.

Surely Max and Yeh are extreems but just because 2 people confirm your logic doesnt mean its right. For the record i just got negative reputation by someone saying "for whining that better posters have more ability to affect rep" since theres no way of replying to that other then in here, i would like to state that people giving negrep on a post where i talk about CD's with the simple statement "omg ex with a green dot" are not considered "better posters" in my opinion. Another thing is that i always sign my reputation because i feel when i critisize people, i feel that they have the right to defend themselfs without going into public about it. they can talk to me in PM on either the forums or irc, yet what i usually see, especially from people you claim are good posters, is negative reputation back saying "you're shit" or something less friendly.

The system is flawed. as simple as that.
__________________
NiNEONE
we look a lot tougher then we are

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 11:22   #42
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore
 
Ultimate Newbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,176
Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Limit rep to PA Discussions, Suggestions and Stratergy
This is the suggestion that i like the most - since pretty much the start, forum rep has been totally pointless for GD users (at least) as their high volume of posts and so on results in everyone having 11 green blobs next to their name after a week or two. there have been quite a few threads started on that issue (if anyone wants links let me know), and are usually accompanied by a 'remove rep' type suggestion/request/demand.

Personally, i think the whole reputation system is much better suited to the PD/Suggestions/Strategy section of these forums than for anywhere else - it allows positive reinforcement, general comments, permits people to neg rep those who dont use the forum search tools when they know they should etc etc. Also, the PD et al section seems to have a much friendlier and more tolerant group of people posting there - reducing the need for more harsh measures.

THe problem is, afaik (JJ will be able to clarify), i dont think rep can be limited to just a couple of sections of the forum (PD et al), whilst not elsewhere. Also, if forum rep is displayed everywhere, posters who frequent both PD and GD like Furbeh will have lots of green (or red ) blobs next to their name, and other GD posters would want to have them too, thus trolling forums that they wouldnt otherwise see a need to, and thus creating more work for the mods. Now, as a Strategy moderator, its usually so quiet that deleting trollers in there is actually a highlight, but i imagine on PD and Suggestions it would prove to be a major headache. Thus: rep would have to be limited in receiving and viewing to only a couple of forums, both of which are uncertain (though afaik not able) to do.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents.
__________________
#Strategy ; #Support - Sovereign
--- --- ---
"The Cake is a Lie."
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 12:59   #43
Phil^
Insomniac
 
Phil^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,583
Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I personally dont see a problem. If you dont want to see abusive rep, dont look at the rep page
Believe me when i say ive had some real nasties in my rep before, but do you see me crying about it?

that aside, you CAN report abusive reps to the mods and they will take action on it, demanding the whole system be scrapped because you dont like an aspect of it is ... retarded for lack of a better word.
the 'solution' which was referred to earlier with firefox extentions is to adblock the rep images for green, grey and red dots so they dont appear.

( and btw, pig got banned for doing that with fake nicks, and revealed it was him so it didnt exactly work now did it )

Not too long ago i neg repped furball for posting something i disagreed with, he messaged me back asking clarification on it so i explained my situation to him. He messaged back saying "fair enough". - this is an example of the rep system working perfectly imo
( incidently later on he posted something i agreed with/found funny so i pos repped him for it )

I could be wrong on this but i do believe rep is weighted to favour green over red anyway, that is your own score gets altered more if you are pos repped then if you are neg repped.
to be in the red you need to have done something SERIOUSLY wrong somewhere
__________________
Phil^
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 13:31   #44
Razgriz
Retired FCHC
 
Razgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

The only reason i'm in the red is because i'm standing up for something i believe in. Just because that something puts the majority of people with their pretty green blobs at risk, i expect to have at least three red blobs now by the end of the week.

So what you're saying is i'm seriously wrong for seeing a problem with the system that not many others can? I'd like to see how a youngster or a woman would react to some of the neg rep commants i've heard about and some i've had. It seems you need to be in a special club to get good reputation on these forums. "Freedom Of Speech"?, i think not. How can it be when an individual is put down for typing down their point of veiw then being slated for it, in fear of ever posting something again.

It seems the only way one is to progress in this community is to brown nose those with green blobs and agree with everything they say, making them full all so more "powerful" in this so called "community"

Turn your attention to the replies to the CH in this thread and you'll see a good example of when the ant took on the ant-eater:
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189583
__________________
Amidst of the eternal waves of time.
From a change of ripple shall the storm rise
Out of abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 13:50   #45
Phil^
Insomniac
 
Phil^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,583
Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
The only reason i'm in the red is because i'm standing up for something i believe in. Just because that something puts the majority of people with their pretty green blobs at risk, i expect to have at least three red blobs now by the end of the week.
Nope, you're in the red because people seem to disagree with what you are saying. Its not one-rep to one-blob btw - its an increasing scale dependant on your rep points. Its harder to get to 3 blobs from 2, then it is from 2 blobs from 1 so I dont think you will be at 3 red blobs by the end of the week, personally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
So what you're saying is i'm seriously wrong for seeing a problem with the system that not many others can?
Nope, thats not what im saying.
one red blob is -trivial-, as is two or even three. I was referring to when people get four, five or more red blobs. Thats a pretty good indicator that they are doing something very wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
I'd like to see how a youngster or a woman would react to some of the neg rep commants i've heard about and some i've had.
If they had any sense they wouldnt let it affect them too much. Insulting on the internet is petty and shouldnt be taken seriously at any time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
It seems you need to be in a special club to get good reputation on these forums. "Freedom Of Speech"?, i think not. How can it be when an individual is put down for typing down their point of veiw then being slated for it, in fear of ever posting something again.
Nah, just post decent, well thought out posts and chances are someone somewhere will pos rep you for it. After that its simply a matter of repetition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
It seems the only way one is to progress in this community is to brown nose those with green blobs and agree with everything they say, making them full all so more "powerful" in this so called "community"
Nah not really. If you consider rep to be the 'de-facto' measure of a person in the community then you have completely missed the point of it.
Rep is a guideline, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
Turn your attention to the replies to the CH in this thread and you'll see a good example of when the ant took on the ant-eater:
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189583
all i see is you and tomkat having a 'bitchfight' over rep. Its hardly a cataclysmic event and one i tend to agree with tomkat on. Whining about rep only annoys people who are fed up of whiners so they neg rep them.
Unfortunately for the people involved, these people tend to have a LOT of rep altering power and so they end up in the red.
__________________
Phil^
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 14:06   #46
Razgriz
Retired FCHC
 
Razgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

I can see where you're coming from Phil, and at least you didn't neg rep me for having an oppinion. To be perfectly honest the subject is boring me now, i can see that nothing will change and this discusion is just going around in circles. However, it dosn't change the fact that people are not happy with the rep system and the mods should do something about it. If they don't, well it pretty obvious, they only care about those who don't have a problem... seems like the easy way out for them.
__________________
Amidst of the eternal waves of time.
From a change of ripple shall the storm rise
Out of abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 14:12   #47
Phil^
Insomniac
 
Phil^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,583
Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

there are also people who are perfectly happy with it and from what i can tell those who are complaining about it and want it changed are in the minority when you consider the whole forum community as one.
the mods are in a tricky spot - damned if you do and damned if you dont
__________________
Phil^
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 14:35   #48
Razgriz
Retired FCHC
 
Razgriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

i agree, it is a minority, but you cannot ignore that people have this problem. However, if this truely is a community the minority should be entitled to have their say and have their oppinions put across without fear. The mods should do something - even if its something so minor...
__________________
Amidst of the eternal waves of time.
From a change of ripple shall the storm rise
Out of abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:07   #49
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader
 
Rikard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Apeldoorn / Amsterdam
Posts: 330
Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
I personally dont see a problem. If you dont want to see abusive rep, dont look at the rep page
Believe me when i say ive had some real nasties in my rep before, but do you see me crying about it?
for the 5th time today as reply to the 5th person today who said it, just because its flawed doesnt mean you shud just ignore it. Ignoring whats wrong with the world wont help it make it any better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
that aside, you CAN report abusive reps to the mods and they will take action on it, demanding the whole system be scrapped because you dont like an aspect of it is ... retarded for lack of a better word.
the 'solution' which was referred to earlier with firefox extentions is to adblock the rep images for green, grey and red dots so they dont appear.
its not one issue that i'm bothered with, its the whole basic system of giving anonymous unseen comments on posts thats whats bothering me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil

Not too long ago i neg repped furball for posting something i disagreed with, he messaged me back asking clarification on it so i explained my situation to him. He messaged back saying "fair enough". - this is an example of the rep system working perfectly imo
( incidently later on he posted something i agreed with/found funny so i pos repped him for it )
When you feel a poster is shit and you feel he needs to change it, you should PM either here or on IRC, instead of giving away a commentless red dot. I have in the past always signed my negreps with a reason why i gave it and my name so people could debate about it when they feel the need to, instead of the debate i got back negreps saying "omg you suck giving me a reddot" etc. How is that more usefull then contacting someone on PM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
I could be wrong on this but i do believe rep is weighted to favour green over red anyway, that is your own score gets altered more if you are pos repped then if you are neg repped.
to be in the red you need to have done something SERIOUSLY wrong somewhere
so this means automatically people who post more get more green dots. thats hardly a good indication of the quality someone posts with is it?

-edited put wrong name in quote sections -
__________________
NiNEONE
we look a lot tougher then we are

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:24   #50
Phil^
Insomniac
 
Phil^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,583
Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
for the 5th time today as reply to the 5th person today who said it, just because its flawed doesnt mean you shud just ignore it. Ignoring whats wrong with the world wont help it make it any better
Except where its very few people who actually think the world is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
its not one issue that i'm bothered with, its the whole basic system of giving anonymous unseen comments on posts thats whats bothering me.When you feel a poster is shit and you feel he needs to change it, you should PM either here or on IRC, instead of giving away a commentless red dot. I have in the past always signed my negreps with a reason why i gave it and my name so people could debate about it when they feel the need to, instead of the debate i got back negreps saying "omg you suck giving me a reddot" etc. How is that more usefull then contacting someone on PM?
Youve illustrated perfectly why the rep system is anonymous
Person A gets neg repped by Person B
Person A goes to find a random post of Person B to neg rep in retaliation

Thats hardly a good system now is it? Reps are given in retaliation instead of for merit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
so this means automatically people who post more get more green dots. thats hardly a good indication of the quality someone posts with is it?
those who post more, better quality posts get more green dots, and deservedly so.
Those who have been around longest have higher numbers of rep points, and deservedly so for sticking about and helping maintain the forums community

Why should a poster who spams utter nonsense get anything other then red ones? Case in point : maxmillan.
Why should a new poster who comes along and makes one or two excellent posts have a higher reputation then a veteren who occasionally makes excellent posts but mostly makes good ones?

The real issue is about you, having gotten some reps you thought were unfair but not knowing who gave you them - you decide to whine about getting them in the first place and demand the system is changed just for you rather then work out why it is you got them and change your ways.
Yes theres always going to be some people who abuse the anonymity to neg rep because they dont like you - but they usually do not have much in the way of rep altering power because they are more often then not - crap posters who rarely get pos repped in the first place.
There is no reason to create a rep system where rep-wars are commonplace which is what would happen should the anonymity be removed

If you dont like reps you get - report them
If the mods see nothing wrong with them - get over it
If you still cant take it, ignore the reps altogether
__________________
Phil^
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2013