User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Jan 2003, 18:46   #1
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
typical americans

http://slate.msn.com/id/2077874/
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 18:53   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Your point is?
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 18:55   #3
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
im jsut wondering how lond its is before the french go over and remind them just how they got their hands on the statue of liberty
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:01   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Say what you want, but it'll probably work.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:15   #5
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
that article is so biased and crap i stopped reading after 3 paragraphs
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:16   #6
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Four Irish Men
There's these four Irishmen in a bar, all drinking Guinness. One of them is looking rather puzzled, so another turns to him and asks him what's the matter.
1st Irishman: Well, I was just trying to remember what 2 plus 2 is.
2nd Irishman: Oh, that's easy, it's 147.
1st Irishman: No no no, that can't be right. How about you, Fergus, do you know what 2 plus 2 is?
3rd Irishman: Hmmm ... could it be Wednesday, perhaps?
1st Irishman: No no no, that doesn't sound right either. How about you Pat, do you know?
4th Irishman: Simple, the answer is 4.
1st Irishman: Of course! How did you work it out?!
4th Irishman: Aha, that's where brains come in! I subtracted 147 from Wednesday!
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:21   #7
Ap0k
Spritely:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
that article is so biased and crap i stopped reading after 3 paragraphs
the problem is not with the fact the article is such bull****, its more to do with 'how many americans are actually believing it'.

thats the part thats pissing meh off.

basically it seems like america is saying "you wont take part in our war, therefore we're gonna piss all over you nation until you 'change your mind' "

Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:25   #8
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
i think its funny that i posted a random link i just saw the title off can cause so much contravosy.
i didnt even read the article
hehe
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:26   #9
PA-Guru

I read that article this morning as I have MSN as my homepage. It will be interesting to see if the politics in the article truly play out that way. While the article might be very opinionated and contain some guess work, I still think it raises some valid points.
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:29   #10
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
"Why Do The Fremch Hate Us?"

Maybe because such **** like that is published?
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:35   #11
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The French are so concerned by the dominance of American power—militarily, economically, culturally, and technologically...the United States has so much power that the French language didn't have a word for it
head up arse own

plus the French hate everyone
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:39   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hang on a sec!
Since when was the US hating the French fasionable? Over here in Blighty we've been merrily hating the French since before Columbus knew how to sail.
Anyway, we have good reason - the gits invaded us enought times fs...
STOP BITING ON OUR IDEAS, MUPPETS!

Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:41   #13
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
the problem is not with the fact the article is such bull****, its more to do with 'how many americans are actually believing it'.

thats the part thats pissing meh off.

basically it seems like america is saying "you wont take part in our war, therefore we're gonna piss all over you nation until you 'change your mind' "

I doubt it's as big an issue as you paint it. People here would be more likely to say "Fine, **** the Frenchies then" and move on.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:44   #14
Ap0k
Spritely:

but you must ask yourself.

after iraq, who is next? THA FRENCHIES?!

and if so, we brits would have no one to hate anymore (well, i spose theres always argentina)

CONSIRACEH THEOREH!

(p.s ur probably right btw, but theres always gonna be some silly person who takes it too literally)
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 19:55   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
I doubt it's as big an issue as you paint it. People here would be more likely to say "Fine, **** the Frenchies then" and move on.
Isnt it part of a stream of anti-europe propaganda currently being pushed on the American public, although this example is slightly more overt than most.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:07   #16
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't noticed anything I'd call "anti-European propaganda", and the article in question isn't "main stream" enough to merit being considered effective propaganda, if you consider it propaganda at all.

If there were similar stories on 20/20, 60 Minutes, and all those kinds of shows...all within the same week, I would consider it propaganda, at least moreso than the topic at hand.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:11   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Isnt it part of a stream of anti-europe propaganda currently being pushed on the American public, although this example is slightly more overt than most.
I haven't noticed a stream of anti-Europe propaganda here in the US; at least, no more than normal. There's been an uptick of anti-French and anti-German sentiment in the media recently (although the anti-German part may date back to some of the comments made during the German elections).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:19   #18
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Americans are anti-anyone-who-doesn't-agree-with-them.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:28   #19
Satoeng
Human Bomb [Ely]

Satoeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of those moods or whatever usually dont really reflect the people opinions , just are statements by indiviuals published via media.
Many politicians keep on bitching at each other on both side of the ocean.
While i lived in the states i read german and american papers, noticing big differences.
people didnt even knwo what powell e.g. was saying to the krauts why it was a big eclats over there. same here now. Noone seriously compares bush with hitler , while just 1 ministress (sorry dont know exactly , was it däubler-gmelin?) did that and probably everyone in the states thinks know we hate them ......
Tempers are boiling here with things happenning in middleeast now, i just think everyone s messing up there.....

anyways , why saying typicial americans ?
is the typical american the cowboyhat-wearing , burger-eating,shallow guy ?
whys the german is just eating sauerkraut, loving the kaiser and really cold?
or the french just driking wine, eating baguette, hitting on girls, dunno....

ppl should be careful saying that kinda stuff....
free from all false pride
i will crack the whip
with a bolt mighty hail
cover me wtih death
if i should ever fail...
glory,majesty,unity
HAIL ! HAIL ! HAIL !
Satoeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:30   #20
Satoeng
Human Bomb [Ely]

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida

Everyone is anti-anyone-who-doesnt-agree-with-them.

just depends who you are
i will crack the whip
with a bolt mighty hail
cover me wtih death
if i should ever fail...
glory,majesty,unity
HAIL ! HAIL ! HAIL !
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:31   #21
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
That's a ignorant generalization, and not something I'd expect from someone with your intelligence.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:53   #22
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
That's a ignorant generalization, and not something I'd expect from someone with your intelligence.
FINE

SORRY

The current american government is anti-anyone-who-disagrees-with-them on an active basis. Examples, the quotes 'france and germany are a problem' or 'There are some countries in the world that would like to ignore this problem' or the invasion plan for the NL incase the ICC arrests americans.

PC nuff for ya?
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:55   #23
Satoeng
Human Bomb [Ely]

Quote:

' or the invasion plan for the NL incase the ICC arrests americans.

hehe. thats one of the dumb things said by the us-government. hehe.
i will crack the whip
with a bolt mighty hail
cover me wtih death
if i should ever fail...
glory,majesty,unity
HAIL ! HAIL ! HAIL !
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:56   #24
Cochese
Retired

Quote:

The current american government is anti-anyone-who-disagrees-with-them on an active basis.

PC nuff for ya?

Winnar!

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 20:56   #25
KoRnNut
Friendly Hitman

KoRnNut is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
im jsut wondering how lond its is before the french go over and remind them just how they got their hands on the statue of liberty
They should take that ugly piece of **** back to France, and then they can have their cake and eat it too. And weren't some French leaders suggesting 5 years ago to reorganize immigration policies to have a less diverse nation? I know I read that somewhere, maybe someone has some URL's for me?

I suppose in that case the Statue wouldn't mean much sitting in a French harbor, would it?

French policies both domestic and foreign seem very different and sometimes awkward to many people from many countries. Doesn't mean the people actually hate eachother. I would love to visit France one day and I doubt I'd recieve much if any anti-American treatment as I am certain the Froggies don't recieve much anti-French sentiment while visiting the US. People are all talk when an ocean devides them but face to face it's all hugs and kisses.

'Cheese-eating, surrender-monkies' <----- *pld* to Willie heheheh

What can I say that you can't say better?
KoRnNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 21:01   #26
KoRnNut
Friendly Hitman

KoRnNut is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Phang
LOL

Lazy f**king pikey f**khead
heh, ok I'll try and search for it myself. Let's see 'French and Leaders and Racism'. I'll tell yah what I find.

What can I say that you can't say better?
KoRnNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 21:03   #27
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Rampant Surrenderism?
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 21:29   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Best. Article. In. The. World. Ever.
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 22:01   #29
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
so the french are doing something right for once, i never thought i'd see the day
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 22:11   #30
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tzencath
so the french are doing something right for once, i never thought i'd see the day
Everyone does the right thing sometimes, even if by accident.
Only History will show if they are right now or not.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 22:14   #31
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Everyone does the right thing sometimes, even if by accident.
Only History will show if they are right now or not.
No it won't. We're going to war no matter what, so we won't see what a non-agressive stance would do!
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 22:18   #32
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
No it won't. We're going to war no matter what, so we won't see what a non-agressive stance would do!
I beg to defer.
All things are clearer with hindsight. Going to war or not will not change the historical view of the current French actions, people will either say they were proven wrong, or they will say they were right all along and should have been listened to. Either way history will reveal the truth in time.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 00:09   #33
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
the French rock!!!

... at being hated

i found that article very amusing, fueling both my anti-americannes and my anti-frenchness

we did in a lecture recently, why Europe hates America and why France hates Britain

ironically, France hates Britain cos we're like America.. hehe
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 00:43   #34
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
I beg to defer.
All things are clearer with hindsight. Going to war or not will not change the historical view of the current French actions, people will either say they were proven wrong, or they will say they were right all along and should have been listened to. Either way history will reveal the truth in time.
Optimist.
The truth of the matter is that people will say BOTH.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 03:01   #35
iain50

iain50 is an unknown quantity at this point
(The president also makes a point of claiming not to care why anyone hates us—least of all the French.)

hear hear. who gives a toss what he french think anyway?

im off to read the rest of the posts, then hope no-one pays any attention to mine
iain50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 09:55   #36
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Why'd God invent Whisky?
So the Irish would never rule the world.

Paddy and Seamus landed themselves a job at the local sawmill. Just before morning tea Paddy yelped, "Seamus, I've lost me bleedin finger!!!"
"Have you now?" says Seamus, "And how did you do it?"
"Well, I just touched this big spinning thing here like thi...God dam it, there goes another one!!!"