User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Oct 2002, 17:59   #1
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
The cleverest country in Europe is......

Norway.

Bet you didn't know that.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 18:36   #2
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
We're too thick to figure it out.

duh
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 19:18   #3
Hecate

Lies.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 19:55   #4
ggGGgg

ggGGgg is an unknown quantity at this point
How come?
ggGGgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 19:57   #5
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
England has 0xf0rD!
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 19:58   #6
ELeeming
Cultured

Quote:
Originally posted by ggGGgg
How come?
They said no.
God Told Me To Do It
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:09   #7
ggGGgg

To what?

EU?

A resolution in the security counsel?

A dreadfull suggestion to make our laws suit with the EU?
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:10   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sealand.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:10   #9
ELeeming
Cultured

Quote:
To what?

EU?
yes.
God Told Me To Do It
Synchronise Your Dogmas
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:11   #10
Km

Quote:
Originally posted by ELeeming

They said no.
Hear that often from my gf lately
Should I worry?
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:11   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: The cleverest country in Europe is......

Quote:
Norway.

Bet you didn't know that.
Is this another one of those UN index tables?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:12   #12
ELeeming
Cultured

Re: Re: The cleverest country in Europe is......

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson

Is this another one of those UN index tables?
yes.
God Told Me To Do It
Synchronise Your Dogmas
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:12   #13
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: Re: Re: The cleverest country in Europe is......

Quote:
yes.
Pez?
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:17   #14
ggGGgg

This is stupidity. Norway had a majority of "Yes" inside the parliament. They sold out the "no" by the cooperation with the EU through the EEC. Since then the veto-right hasn't been used against any suggestion to conform our laws with the EU.

This means laws that were not designed to suit Norway (since we're not inside the EU) are being accepted because of the consequences of a veto.

We're more EU than the EU on some areas. We just don't get that much benefit out of it.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:19   #15
ELeeming
Cultured

Quote:
This is stupidity. Norway had a majority of "Yes" inside the parliament. They sold out the "no" by the cooperation with the EU through the EEC. Since then the veto-right hasn't been used against any suggestion to conform our laws with the EU.

This means laws that were not designed to suit Norway (since we're not inside the EU) are being accepted because of the consequences of a veto.

We're more EU than the EU on some areas. We just don't get that much benefit out of it.
And on the other hand, you're not paying them a nett of over 5 billion a year.
God Told Me To Do It
Synchronise Your Dogmas
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:23   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Perhaps you should join The EU, then you would have a say over the policies that are at the moment imposed on you as members of EFTA.

Just a thought.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:27   #17
Colonel Duaine

I would be interested to see some hard UN facts on this... claim. With our educational system I don't understand how we can be Europe's cleverest.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:55   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Perhaps you should join The EU, then you would have a say over the policies that are at the moment imposed on you as members of EFTA.
Probably not all that much say, though, as Norway would be one--relatively small--member of a large EU. Also as a member, they would presumably have to shoulder some of the EU economic burden.

This is similar to the situation that Puerto Rico faces. As a US commonwealth, they are subject to most US regulations, but they have no representation in Congress. On the other hand, they don't have to pay federal taxes. If Puerto Rico opted for statehood they'd gain representation in the federal government, but their net influence on US policies would probably be minimal--but they'd have to start paying federal taxes.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 20:58   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Probably not all that much say, though, as Norway would be one--relatively small--member of a large EU.
No country within The EU is ever 'alone'. There will always be allies on any vote, or matter of policy, because, simply, the national intrests of states frequently overlap. Such is foreign affairs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Also as a member, they would presumably have to shoulder some of the EU economic burden.
I'm not sure what you're refering to here. Do you mean the financial burden?
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 21:35   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
No country within The EU is ever 'alone'. There will always be allies on any vote, or matter of policy, because, simply, the national intrests of states frequently overlap. Such is foreign affairs.
Yes, but to the extent that national interests overlap, then Norway's interests will be "represented" anyway. The only time Norway's representation would make a difference would be when the rest of the EU was more or less evenly split on an issue.
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're refering to here. Do you mean the financial burden?
Yes.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 21:59   #21
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
The fact is that Norway has been smuggled into the Eu through the backdoor. The politicians wanted us in, the people voted no. The Politicians then changed their tactics, and made sure Norway practically became nothing more than a passive part of the Eu only without the ability of influencing it. We will either have to quit the EØS (practically impossible) or join the EU for real.
Too bad, as the current EU is even less democratic than the USA!

I mean, what kind of power does the people have when the power is seated in another country far away from their influence?

I like the idea of streghtening the EU to create some balance between Europe, the rest of the world and the cowboys but it's not worth it if we have to create a union of states even less fair and democratic.

The Eu is a quite ambitious idea, and will need a lot of politic skills to be successful.
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 22:13   #22
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Km

Hear that often from my gf lately
Should I worry?
Well it depends if you have a problem with your GF having a similar intelligence level to Norway