User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Nov 2003, 11:54   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Formal specs/docs for small IT projects?

Hi all out there in corporate (or at least "professional") IT hell.

I manage a small team of web/IT people who do work internally and externally.

Here in work we have some decent formal documentation for larger projects, with key dates, milestones, deliverables, specs, etc, etc. This gets signed by both parties.

However we do a lot of SME* work, also with charities and other departments. These projects can often just be a few days work, so it's really not worth having complex docs and specs.

Does anybody here have formal docs for smaller projects? What's in it? What would you put in it?

Basically I'm fed up of working on smaller projects with nothing more than a verbal contract. I've had two projects this past week that we quoted £500 each for, and each cost us over £1000 to produce. Simple economics...

P.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 12:00   #2
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Re: Formal specs/docs for small IT projects?

most web dev businesses now don't take contracts under 5k because they often end up taking as long as the big ones (or costing as much) for lower remunerations. if you really want to take those clients you would be best to sub contract... plenty of college/uni students on here or the www.sitepointforums.com trading post with more than enough skill willing to do it for a couple of hundred and it leaves you free ton concentrate on other sutff.

can't help you with the docs though
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 12:55   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road

Thanks Add.

You're no use whatsover. But thanks anyway

By our mandate, we HAVE to take these smaller jobs.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 16:18   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

well, that depends what you are looking for.

From your description you basically agreeing a requirements specification with the customer.
From that you might wish to do some other stuff, such as

Project Plan (split this off from the requirements spec you are already doing).
Entity Relationship Modelling
Data Flow Diagrams

9there are loads more i cant remember right now)

which would help you 'visualise' the final system a bit better.

You might be better of applying a whole methodology. The problem with this ofc is the time taken to learn etc. Take a look at something like Extreme Programming, see if that would fit with what you are doing.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 18:17   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I go with NB3 here. A simple requirements doc is the LEAST you need for doing a project, even if the customer is another department inside the company.
Data Flow diagrams can be handy to understand the system better but is usually no good for a customer. But I guess you lot can judge that better.
I'm don't know what you lot make, but don't say that making a functional/technical spec (no matter how simplistic) is lost effort for a project that small. You might be able to recycle those docs for another similar smallish project. But again, you can judge that better than me.

Only a verbal "contract" is teh bad because you have nothing you can fall back on when the customer changes his mind.

The rule of thumb we learn at school is "make those things you REALLY need, and never make something that doesn't contribute to the understanding of the final system". Not very usefull in your situation, but hey .
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 19:04   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

hang on, you cant agree with me, that must mean that i've learn something during my time at university!
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 21:08   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
hang on, you cant agree with me, that must mean that i've learn something during my time at university!
Only thing I learnt was that I hate DFDs
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 21:11   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
Only thing I learnt was that I hate DFDs
DFDs? What are those?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 21:31   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Data Flow Diagrams.

Or in the case of a DFD0, Document Flow Diagrams. Needed 'em for A-Level, not seen em since \o/
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 22:18   #10
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Reminds me of http://unix.rulez.org/~calver/pictures/project.jpg