User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Oct 2003, 16:09   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Wickid new stuff: interweb phone

Skype, or internet telephone...
I tried this out with a few classmates of mine, but this stuff really works great! Very little lag and quite good quality compared to regular phone.

http://www.skype.com/
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 16:11   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Wickid new stuff: interweb phone

I remember we testet out internet video phones back in NINETEEN-NINETYFOUR
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:03   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Sure, it's nothing new, but this is more widely accepted than things like VOIP. About my whole class uses it now, and it's quite handy. You don't have to type lots of text and you can explain things faster. But it's something getting used to: talking to your computer. But all in all this could be a substitute for MSN messenger, what we use now.

This get a thumb up from me
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:11   #4
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
quite good quality compared to regular phone.
What's the sampling rate and what compression does it use?
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:51   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

the school tested that out too
the shitty thing is when the internet goes down.. well.. you have no phones :\

they're back to having phone/internet seperate again..
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:51   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
What's the sampling rate and what compression does it use?
I don't know, but from listening to it I hear that the frequency range is definately larger. It has a few issues with simultaneous speaking though. It uses a down/upload of 4-5 kb/s according to the down-up-meter from a classmate of mine, so it's nowhere accurate, but in MP3 format that is ~32kb/s.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 19:09   #7
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's pretty good, although the client itself has a lot of room for improvement.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 19:13   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

We were testing an IP phone a few months back, a concept I never trusted.

When our network got hit by Welchia/Blaster it died. Admittedly the idea of a helpdesk phone system that dies in case of DoS conditions on the network has some appeal (i.e. no users ringing to complain) but in terms of service delivery it's worse than useless.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2003, 05:43   #9
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

hmmm....might have to check into this. thanks Struct