User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

View Poll Results: Views + solutions to support planets
No problem -> no solution 22 17.89%
Only (some) top alliances cause this problem 38 30.89%
lots of top 10-20 alliances cause this problem 9 7.32%
Only some groups of people (not related to alliances) cause this problem 26 21.14%
There is a problem but nothing should be done 4 3.25%
A rule should be enough, together with MH enforcement, to solve the problem 30 24.39%
A hardcoded limit should be set on out of galaxy/alliance defence 40 32.52%
semi active players should be able to play and help old friends/alliances out 46 37.40%
Other (please specify) 4 3.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 25 Dec 2005, 00:41   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Another Support Planet Poll

After this thread and this thread I thought a more specific thread would be in order.

Note: CHOOSE ALL ANSWERS THAT APPLY

Basically I think a clearer poll might be more useful in clarifying views and opinions.

There are two points: Firstly the view on the support planets, and secondly what should be done about them.

Edit:
the poll took so long because I kept rewriting it and because I made some answers too long and it refused to accept the poll and reset the options
Also, very funny you childish people :P

Last edited by Appocomaster; 25 Dec 2005 at 00:57.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 00:43   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Another Support Planet Poll

In before the poll
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 00:44   #3
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

In before poll 2!
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 00:49   #4
Kieker Jan

Kieker Jan can only hope to improve

in before the poll 3
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:02   #5
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Other: If you're part of a top 5 alliance, no def outside of your alliance/gal for you!

anyone else: perhaps code a once or twice a week out of alliance/gal def limit
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:04   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

"A hardcoded limit should be set on out of galaxy/alliance defence " meant 0 times a week, 1 time a week, 2 times per week.... 7 times per week. whatever
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:08   #7
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Christmas Appoco
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:09   #8
jackle

Its so important that we allow friends to play with each other with no real limits.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:18   #9
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My view is either implement the system i've described in the pa suggestions thread, or have no rule whatsoever and consider it a legitimate tactic, and have planets deleted for de facto cheating offences.

At last we have some positive feedback from pa team!
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:40   #10
n4m3l355
Mista JZ

n4m3l355 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackle
Its so important that we allow friends to play with each other with no real limits.
since when do we need actual rules (besides the no multiying/farming) to decide for us what we are allowed todo as a valid tactic. further how come just a few figure out its not a valid tactic yet that they get it done to imply such a rule? its pretty clear only a small fraction of the players react here and that a big chunk of those players figured out that its an invalid tactic as they suffered most of it. maybe if rules are to be changed they should be put on overview or even better put as a question to enter pa and get some clear results and not a poll with 100 answers out of 5000 players. if only 2% shows up to vote and on that is what we decide the rules on? c'mon
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 01:45   #11
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I voted for having a hardcoded system. The reason I say this is that I was often defended against by "dubious" viper whores, who seem to do nothing other than defend. It was annoying as hell. I could get 3 friends who are up at nite to signup next round and ask them to defend me whenever I have incoming, no worries. But its not fair on others. Hardcode it so its galaxy/alliance only. Remove -1 in para for defence and in general actually punish people.

That or have no rule. I guarentee though if you dont have a rule I and many others wont think twice about having support planets from friends as well it seems they are in fashion.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 02:35   #12
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I voted for having a hardcoded system. The reason I say this is that I was often defended against by "dubious" viper whores, who seem to do nothing other than defend. It was annoying as hell. I could get 3 friends who are up at nite to signup next round and ask them to defend me whenever I have incoming, no worries. But its not fair on others. Hardcode it so its galaxy/alliance only. Remove -1 in para for defence and in general actually punish people.

That or have no rule. I guarentee though if you dont have a rule I and many others wont think twice about having support planets from friends as well it seems they are in fashion.
It isnt fair that some are in better alliances / gals than others either, and because of that get covered from them.

PA has always been about knowing people willing to help u. and in return u help them enxt time.

This should be done regardless fo alliance imo.
--
If ya want to make a rule, then hardcode it, so that we dont get dubious decissions by what some may think of as biased MHs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 02:50   #13
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

unfortunately life isnt fair, at tick 1 we all start off with the same chances of decent galaxies, alliances etc. It is what we make of those chances. I agree PA was about people helping each other out, hence why we have alliances. There is no real argument for support planets. The exscuse "im in a shit ally, shit gal" doesnt work simply because you only have yourself to blame. I was 1up this round, I got roided. I had a shit gal this round, I got roided. Never once did I have support planets defend me though, never once did I complain because they were my circumstances.

I agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishmaster
If ya want to make a rule, then hardcode it, so that we dont get dubious decissions by what some may think of as biased MHs.
Either have a hardcoded rule or nothing at all, like Multihunting leaving it to certain MHs is always like playing with fire. One day you could be fine next day you could be getting burnt. We are paying customers, I dont like people getting away with it because of the discretion of jolt/MHs rather you are either closed or not. EOD.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:09   #14
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
Other: If you're part of a top 5 alliance, no def outside of your alliance/gal for you!

anyone else: perhaps code a once or twice a week out of alliance/gal def limit
I agree with this...maybe make it the top 15 alliances not allowed...

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:25   #15
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
unfortunately life isnt fair, at tick 1 we all start off with the same chances of decent galaxies, alliances etc. It is what we make of those chances. I agree PA was about people helping each other out, hence why we have alliances. There is no real argument for support planets. The exscuse "im in a shit ally, shit gal" doesnt work simply because you only have yourself to blame. I was 1up this round, I got roided. I had a shit gal this round, I got roided. Never once did I have support planets defend me though, never once did I complain because they were my circumstances.

left out things we agree on }{ -
well, u got same chances of getting people to play to help u out at tick 1 also. So ur point is not valid imo. I know alot more than 80 people, so the in game mehanics then reduce my pool of getting defene.

IMO if u manage to have 10 active people wanting to help u out(out of alliance), that shows true love and affection, and should be be a positive thing ^^
---
But I do c my points about winning at all costs aint shared with the entire community, so therefore the smart thing would be to balance it somehow with inbuilt mechanics as we both agree on.

As it is atm is just fking shit.

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:28   #16
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death666
I agree with this...maybe make it the top 15 alliances not allowed...

top 15 alliances that would mean like 95% (?!) of the active players in this community.

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:41   #17
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way that you can fix this through hardcoding because its all circumstantial. Someone playing legitimately and attacking/defending regularly should not be penalised for defending a friend regardless of their (lack of) tag. Its when you get repeated occurences of this that we see a problem. Unfortunately it has to be left to MH discretion, because there will always be people looking for loopholes in a code.

First we will see once a week/twice a week become a problem for those playing legitimately. So we say ok, you can defend OOGOOA once for every "proper" fleet sent out. It will be like the forums rep system whereby people launch for one tick and recall. Etc, etc. You get the picture.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:42   #18
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
well, u got same chances of getting people to play to help u out at tick 1 also. So ur point is not valid imo. I know alot more than 80 people, so the in game mehanics then reduce my pool of getting defene.

IMO if u manage to have 10 active people wanting to help u out(out of alliance), that shows true love and affection, and should be be a positive thing ^^
This is an age old argument, which will continue to occur on the forums. I myself know more than 80 people in the game, many I talk to day in day out about pa. However I choose my buddypack and I choose my alliance. Thats 84 other players willing to help me. If I wanted help off friends I would join there alliance or get them to join my alliance.

If there this rule is not set in stone, then I will ask friends of mine to signup and be my def whores and escorts, as im not going to be the mug who keeps getting roided while every tom, dick and harry gets 10k vipers in defence. Personally though I dont want support planets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishmaster
But I do c my points about winning at all costs aint shared with the entire community, so therefore the smart thing would be to balance it somehow with inbuilt mechanics as we both agree on.

As it is atm is just fking shit.
Completly agree

Finally something which hasnt been talked about, but has anyone actually realised that by hardcodeing out support planets, multing will most likely decrease. As there is no longer any other use for the planets other than scan planets (lo Abe) and roid/ship farms, which im sure members of the community and MHs can police quite well.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:45   #19
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
There is no way that you can fix this through hardcoding because its all circumstantial. Someone playing legitimately and attacking/defending regularly should not be penalised for defending a friend regardless of their (lack of) tag. Its when you get repeated occurences of this that we see a problem. Unfortunately it has to be left to MH discretion, because there will always be people looking for loopholes in a code.

First we will see once a week/twice a week become a problem for those playing legitimately. So we say ok, you can defend OOGOOA once for every "proper" fleet sent out. It will be like the forums rep system whereby people launch for one tick and recall. Etc, etc. You get the picture.
I understand your gripes, but its something that is giving certain quarters an unfair adv. This has been clearly stated this round. Now if people want to defend friends etc, join the same alliance, be in the same bp. If they want to idle around attacking/defending here and there then sure. But why should they be solely there to build viper fleets and defend. No real purpose for them apart from supporting.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 04:54   #20
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

if you DON'T code it, people will cheat, simple as that... in a world where it's all lollypops and sunshine maybe not having a rule works fine, but in this reality, people are full of shit, and they will take advantage of anything they can.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 05:28   #21
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4m3l355
since when do we need actual rules (besides the no multiying/farming) to decide for us what we are allowed todo as a valid tactic. further how come just a few figure out its not a valid tactic yet that they get it done to imply such a rule? its pretty clear only a small fraction of the players react here and that a big chunk of those players figured out that its an invalid tactic as they suffered most of it. maybe if rules are to be changed they should be put on overview or even better put as a question to enter pa and get some clear results and not a poll with 100 answers out of 5000 players. if only 2% shows up to vote and on that is what we decide the rules on? c'mon
for the same reason roid farming was made explicitly forbidden way back.
there are some people who think that just because something isnt explicitly banned, that its suddenly ok to do it and claim its a legitimate tactic - even if it goes against any possible scope of fair play

as for the subject, i find myself in agreement with lokken.
a hardcoded system ( along lokkens ideas ) if you want to prevent/moderate abuse of support planets. Or give up, have no rule and condemn the game to be perverted and dominated by cheats

I know which of the two options i prefer

now , since ive posted on this extensively on the other thread, before getting told to ' be quiet ' , i wont be further commenting on this thread much as i believe i have said all im going to say. If people listen is another matter

Last edited by Phil^; 25 Dec 2005 at 15:11.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 09:49   #22
Kieker Jan

Kieker Jan can only hope to improve

a rule + MH support should be enough

why disadvantage top5 allys just because they are playin better/smarter/with more luck then the other

they still got the same rights as uthe rest of the universe.
tho not totaly with the current recruitment system
but thats another story

its a political aspect of the game to arange outside tag def if u can well done its part of the game
if u need to cheat then ur doomed fair is fair
(and no reopening in that case)
tho i think sum sort of player counsil would be a good idea to handle closure complaints

he rule is clear enough and if u already beendefending friends from a certain ally severel times in a short period... im sure the MH team will be happy to tell u how high u are on their dodgy list if u ask em
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 12:10   #23
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

seeing as i always laugh at maxmillian's posts... why not change it around?

pa team should just wait to see if exi plays or not D
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 13:41   #24
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To clarify, this is what i proposed.

The top 5 alliances would have a hardcoded prevention on giving/receiving defence out of tag.

Otherwise the rule would be abolished.

This would prevent the support planet issue which prevails at the top end of the game, while smaller alliances would be allowed to have a full level of cooperation. Friends would still be able to defend each other to a large extent, while top alliances would have to sacrifice this by the virtue that they are top alliances - the playing field is fair as the same rule applies for all the competitors for top spot.

Attack cooperation would still be permitted as you can't really prevent it in any way otherwise politics would grind to a halt.

Personally I would rather there was no need for this rule at all, but it seems that large amounts of the playerbase would not accept that.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 13:45   #25
Wishmaster
LDK

TBH, I c alot of players going for #1 playing in semi good alliances within top 10.
with 50 players in each alliance only for next round, I think making it top 5 will not be wise.

Make the rule apply to all of given rank more than what rank that alliance has.

All outside top 300 can recieve what defence they like?

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 13:47   #26
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
TBH, I c alot of players going for #1 playing in semi good alliances within top 10.
with 50 players in each alliance only for next round, I think making it top 5 will not be wise.

Make the rule apply to all of given rank more than what rank that alliance has.

All outside top 300 can recieve what defence they like?
So you're suggesting tying it to ranking, rather than being alliance specific?

Quite interesting.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 14:15   #27
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I don't see why you can't use both.

If your planet is not top 300 AND you are in a alliance not in the t5, you can receive defence from non allied planets.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 14:28   #28
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
The top 5 alliances would have a hardcoded prevention on giving/receiving defence out of tag.

Attack cooperation would still be permitted as you can't really prevent it in any way otherwise politics would grind to a halt.
This is exactly why there can't be a hard-coded rule. You can easily gang bang fleet catch a top planet by several alliances without the target having any chance of saving his arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieker Jan
a rule + MH support should be enough
Totally agree.
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 14:32   #29
Death666
Im Back :)

Death666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these partsDeath666 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
top 15 alliances that would mean like 95% (?!) of the active players in this community.
No i mean your not allowed to send defence to any of the top 15 alliances...but if they want to send def to lets say a rank 20th alliance then they can but only a certain amount of times

RD13 - IRON|APA
RD14 - APA
RD15 - InSomnia|Violent Saints HC
RD19 - Subh|ROCK
RD20 - Insurrection|Solo
RD21 - LOST|Subh
RD22 - Subh DC
RD30 - Redemption
Death666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:00   #30
pig
1up on you

Top 10 alliances imo if you were going to base it on alliances, plus like thefish said top 250/300. This round top 10 alliances certainly had an impact on the game, and with a 50 member limit next round that impact will increase even more so.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:06   #31
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It purely depends upon what you waht PAN to be.

If you want to make it the so often described "most friends = most chances to win" number game reduce the game to a poll with 2 months time to vote

If you don't want to make it "most friends = most chances to win" then hard-code some things, like no defense from out of alliance / out of gal - but only for people which are in alliances. That way people can decide whether they want to join an alliance and live with the set limits or if they want to try their luck without having that -1 eta bonus.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:06   #32
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hude
This is exactly why there can't be a hard-coded rule. You can easily gang bang fleet catch a top planet by several alliances without the target having any chance of saving his arse..
Defending planets are always going to be at some disadvantage in those situations - and i disagree, that planet does have a chance. His galaxy and alliance can defend him, both sides having the benefit of reduced ETA defence. Or should we should extend the alliance limit to make room for support planets in tag so that big planets have a better chance? Big planets should always be under pressure in my view. It just comes with the territory that your position is constantly under massive threat.

While I believe the tactic of support planets should be allowed, I don't see how I'm going to get a PA team who are determined to cut out this strategy or a large playerbase who is against it to accept this. What we have currently is uncertain because we do not know what tactics are and are not permissible, because the decision ultimately rests on the spur of the moment decision of a multihunter, regardless of how advanced their tools are in spotting a "support planet".

Really, if we can't find a cast iron way of implementing the rule, I think we should just get rid of it and have complete freedom and give MH's greater discretion in deleting planets they believe are cheating rather than requiring "beyond reasonable doubt" evidence.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:09   #33
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hude
You can easily gang bang fleet catch a top planet by several alliances without the target having any chance of saving his arse.
and the same can be done on both sides, therefore neither have the advantage.
a little more carnage should help make the rankings even more dynamic, surely
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:13   #34
Appocomaster
PA Team

I don't see how the top player / alliance thing would work. What happens if a planet isn't top 300, but gets lots of out of alliance support until he's in the top 300, then when he falls out he gets it again, etc etc?
same with alliances.

I do see that a lot of (forums) people think it's tied to battlegroups / top alliances, or so they say .
However, I can't see an easy way of crippling the freedom of the game even more while not causing problems in the game.
The best I can think of is a rewording of the rule and additional tools on our side, something a bit wooly but:

"Planets that have otherwise suspicious features such as login times / IP addresses (especially on known proxies) / very weird fleet compositions that also send a disproportionate amount of their fleets to a specific planet / alliance (/galaxy) are not allowed."

It takes 5 minutes for Kloopy to query the db and get a list of, for example, all planets not in alliance X that have defended a planet in alliance X while not in their galaxy, and how many times they've done it (the numbers produced last round on all the top alliances were surprisingly large in some cases, though most were one offs ). It does then come down to our judgement, but it does make the rule slightly clearer. It still means those that cheat best probably get away with it, but it does mean that those people who are obviously returning / semi active players who want to help out with scans or something can do so without too much risk of being penalised.
The only issue is trying to draw a line between someone spending a lot of his time helping friends, and someone playing two accounts very well.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:28   #35
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
"Planets that have otherwise suspicious features such as login times / IP addresses (especially on known proxies) / very weird fleet compositions that also send a disproportionate amount of their fleets to a specific planet / alliance (/galaxy) are not allowed."
Only having a rule still means the damage has been done: No roids and no XP for those which tried attacking the planet in question. Hard-coding it is the only way to prevent such trouble.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 15:37   #36
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
The best I can think of is a rewording of the rule and additional tools on our side, something a bit wooly but:

This round i was not playing actively, as a terran scanner, out of tag. In a universe where you get rewarded for harvesting XP, there was no incentive for me, a planet miles behind to build any defensive ships, especially with terran ships being the way they were, as it is near pointless trying to defend as a small planet in pax if you want to move up the ranking. I did not receive defence from my alliance (i was out of tag), attacked with them, but I was one of the easiest targets you'll find.

Suddenly I was playing against the rules and I'd be against that rule, when I felt what I was doing was perfectly innocent, I moved in tag in any case. I was simply attacking with my alliance as i filled up a few slots on their raid, and I got roids/xp out of it.

If I was purely set up to defend, it would be a different matter. I wouldn't be playing for any personal benefit to my planet whatsoever, except the very remote chance of some salvage, as most attacks recall. This is what I would call a true "support planet", paying no attention to other people's definitions whatsoever.

For me, I feel there is a great difference in planets playing out of tag to attack rather than to defend. So there is a great need for us to strike a balance.

What might be an idea is to have something whereby you could defend whoever you liked on a one off, but once you defended someone in a tag, you would not be allowed to defend that or another planet in that tag for say 2 weeks or perhaps longer. Defending an untagged planet or one in your own tag would have no repercussions. This would allow the rule to be set aside (and therefore the need to try and make it coherent) while giving an inbuilt protection that applies to everyone, while still allowing a good deal of freedom in-game.

This means any political tactic is permissible, but prevents the hardcore support planets from existing.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 18:13   #37
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
I don't see how the top player / alliance thing would work. What happens if a planet isn't top 300, but gets lots of out of alliance support until he's in the top 300, then when he falls out he gets it again, etc etc?
same with alliances.
TBH, who cares if a planet outside top 300 gets out of alliance defence? Also, as stated earlier, outside a top 10 alliance ( maybe make it top 5 in a normal round).

I dont care if n00b1xx1 ranked 600 in alliance ranked 15 gets def from a rl m8 of him, or from another alliance ranked top 20.
As I ve said, I dont think there should be a rule at all, but if its already decided that there should be one, then make a decent one.

Who cares if he because of that manages to climb up to top 300, and if out again, get it again?

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 18:19   #38
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
This round i was not playing actively.
quoted for thruth

Quote:
If I was purely set up to defend, it would be a different matter. I wouldn't be playing for any personal benefit to my planet whatsoever, except the very remote chance of some salvage, as most attacks recall. This is what I would call a true "support planet", paying no attention to other people's definitions whatsoever.

For me, I feel there is a great difference in planets playing out of tag to attack rather than to defend. So there is a great need for us to strike a balance.
TBH, a planet helping an alliance in their raids ( with current stats) are of just as much help as a planet offering a viper fleet every now and then. As the rule was this round, I found it hard to define whats a support planet, and I find it hard to understand why supporting in attak isnt the same as defending.

Quote:
What might be an idea is to have something whereby you could defend whoever you liked on a one off, but once you defended someone in a tag, you would not be allowed to defend that or another planet in that tag for say 2 weeks or perhaps longer. Defending an untagged planet or one in your own tag would have no repercussions. This would allow the rule to be set aside (and therefore the need to try and make it coherent) while giving an inbuilt protection that applies to everyone, while still allowing a good deal of freedom in-game.

This means any political tactic is permissible, but prevents the hardcore support planets from existing.
Sounds like something which most could accept, though 2 weeks is a bit long maybe? But thats just formalities, we need it in built somehow. Because alot WILL do what the rules allow them to do in order to win. ( yes I am one of them )

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 18:43   #39
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
TBH, a planet helping an alliance in their raids ( with current stats) are of just as much help as a planet offering a viper fleet every now and then. As the rule was this round, I found it hard to define whats a support planet, and I find it hard to understand why supporting in attak isnt the same as defending.
The fact that they both help wasn't the issue. If you defend out of tag, you are totally dedicated to helping your alliance as you have no benefit out of it. If you attack something, your planet stands a decent chance of standing to gain from it, hence it's more of a fair exchange. That's why i went for the distinction I went for.

Quote:
Sounds like something which most could accept, though 2 weeks is a bit long maybe? But thats just formalities, we need it in built somehow. Because alot WILL do what the rules allow them to do in order to win. ( yes I am one of them )
2 weeks is certainly not too long. It was an arbitrary figure plucked from my head, but i'd say any less and the whole thing would be pretty pointless.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 19:14   #40
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
The fact that they both help wasn't the issue. If you defend out of tag, you are totally dedicated to helping your alliance as you have no benefit out of it. If you attack something, your planet stands a decent chance of standing to gain from it, hence it's more of a fair exchange. That's why i went for the distinction I went for.
agreed. But one can fake attack / take shit targets in order to help alliance also, so its a hard line to draw. Also, u can send zik def ships which steal, so support planet can be the one gaining loads on it....

Quote:
2 weeks is certainly not too long. It was an arbitrary figure plucked from my head, but i'd say any less and the whole thing would be pretty pointless.
If next round is sposed to be a short round, maybe last 2 months? 6 weeks?

U can def 1 alliance maybe only 1 time? what if all ur m8s are in that one specific alliance, then u wont be able to help them much at all. But agreed, its better to have it inbuilt, even with stupidly strict lines to follow.

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 19:35   #41
lokken
BlueTuba

Oh, I gave a figure for a normal round (2months).

A free round is a different kettle of fish entirely.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 19:35   #42
Heartless

Quote:
what if all ur m8s are in that one specific alliance, then u wont be able to help them much at all.
Then join that alliance.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 19:39   #43
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Then join that alliance.
What if u r only able to play semi active? Its a question of what u should be allowed to do with ur own account. Clearly some think this has been exploited, and therefore there is need of a rule to be set in place. ATM it is unclear, so it has to be coded in game. Because if people know what they pay for, people may think twice before signing up if not able to play hardcore.

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 19:40   #44
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Oh, I gave a figure for a normal round (2months).

A free round is a different kettle of fish entirely.
ok. Then it might be decent, though should be thought through.

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 19:46   #45
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
What if u r only able to play semi active? Its a question of what u should be allowed to do with ur own account. Clearly some think this has been exploited, and therefore there is need of a rule to be set in place. ATM it is unclear, so it has to be coded in game. Because if people know what they pay for, people may think twice before signing up if not able to play hardcore.
I think that if you are that bothered to defend so many people, you'ld want to be in a tag. Defending from outside would definitely be support in my view.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 20:16   #46
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

if a rule get hardcoded, pa will no longer be a game for everyone, but for the active ones insides alliances, alot of ppl idle play to have some fun help out some mates, if you take away the option to defend friends those people wont play etc, and jolt will loose money, pa will loose players, pa will become more boring.
and also, what about a zik?
if a zik sends oogooa def and caps shitloads of ships, is it the a support planet? or playing for it self?
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 20:18   #47
Heartless

Quote:
That is your problem if you are only able to play "semi active". Judging by the alliance member limit introduced I am fairly certain that it was not introduced to make the ingame-alliance only a tight core of uber-active people and keep the rest out of tag supporting that alliance. It was merely meant to stop forming too big alliances and to level the playing field for everyone. Signing up with the sole intention to support one or two certain alliances because they are your friend is definately against the spirit of the originally introduced member limit.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 20:24   #48
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah
if a rule get hardcoded, pa will no longer be a game for everyone, but for the active ones insides alliances, alot of ppl idle play to have some fun help out some mates, if you take away the option to defend friends those people wont play etc, and jolt will loose money, pa will loose players, pa will become more boring.
and also, what about a zik?
if a zik sends oogooa def and caps shitloads of ships, is it the a support planet? or playing for it self?
Hardcoding forces you to make a decision, which is perfectly OK in a game. Basically it is a trade-off for joining an alliance. You join an alliance (which imho should consist of your friends) and gain an -1 eta bonus on defense missions to your alliance mates - just like joining a buddypack grants you special features. Concerning the game-mechanics the downside so far is obviously missing for those people inside an alliance, thus allowing exploitation of the existing system. If you now make a hard-coded limit you ensure that people inside an alliance not just gain from the game-mechanics but also have some slight disadvantage(s).

Concerning the people which "idle play" - well they still can. Technically they can still do as they please, except for supporting an alliance without being inside that alliance, which imho is a minor issue. After all - if your sole intention for playing is to help certain people in that one alliance you should join that alliance regardless of your expected activity (otherwise you are just trying to exploit something that originally was an additional thing for you to do in the game).
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 00:41   #49
Appocomaster
PA Team

I think any limit like that would be something like every 4-5 days.
Or, if you want to change it to be dependant on alliance rank (variables ftw) something like
time until you can next defend the tag = 150*(current_alliance_rank^(-1/4) ) ticks

So if you're ranked #1 it's 150 ticks (~7 days), #2 is 5 1/4 days, #3 is 4 3/4 days... then they decrease more slowly at 1-2 tick intervals so that #20 is 3 days.

if you change the 150 in the formula to 100, it changes to 100/84/75/70/...down to ~ 2 days by rank 15-20.
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 00:57   #50
lokken
BlueTuba

I think rank 1, 2, 3 (simply because they are usually in competition with each other) should be the same and then the sliding scale kicks in.

Not too sure on the 7 days (think it's a bit short) for the big chaps but "hmm"...

Probably need to get a collective opinion from the experts on that.

I presume you are quite happy with the methodology of the hardcoding?