User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Oct 2003, 16:18   #1
Xeno
hirr

Xeno will become famous soon enoughXeno will become famous soon enough
Research times

I would like to know why the Xandathrii race is handicapped and suffering from a higher research time than the Terran and Zikonian. I'm equally interested in knowing why the Cathaar benefits from a shorter research time. I didn't play the beta, and I'm honestly unaware of the thoughts that have led to these descisions.

I for one am unable to spot any Cathaar weakness or Xandathrii strength that would balance the picture and provide me with a rational explanation for these seemingly unfair research times. But I bet there's someone out there who knows better.

I had a quick look at the top 20 planets last Friday, thinking the differentiation would be reflected in the universal rankings. I found there were 0 - zero - Xandathrii players in the top 20, whereas 8 of the top 20 planets were Cathaar (PT 899). This could of course be a coincident, but I think it's worth mentioning en passant.

Thanks in advance!

Xeno

P.S. Just a thought: Maybe Lockhead could add a race overview to Cabeza? I'ld like to see a list presenting the total percentage of Ter/Cat/Xan/Zik players, as well as how well the different races are doing compared to eachother. I believe the dump includes race information on a planetary level.
Unread 27 Oct 2003, 18:10   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Re: Research times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
I believe the dump includes race information on a planetary level.
It doesn't.
Unread 27 Oct 2003, 19:55   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Research times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
I would like to know why the Xandathrii race is handicapped and suffering from a higher research time than the Terran and Zikonian. I'm equally interested in knowing why the Cathaar benefits from a shorter research time. I didn't play the beta, and I'm honestly unaware of the thoughts that have led to these descisions.

I for one am unable to spot any Cathaar weakness or Xandathrii strength that would balance the picture and provide me with a rational explanation for these seemingly unfair research times. But I bet there's someone out there who knows better.
I suspect the theory was that the other race advantages and disadvantages would all balance out the research times. The only one who'd know for sure is Spinner and he wasn't talking (and now he's gone anyway).

This highlights the difference between open and "hidden" stats. If the stats are open and available, everyone can look at them and make their own choice. If you pick a weak(er) race then you really have no one to blame but yourself.

If the stats are hidden, then you just have to trust the creators to balance the races and if they screw up then, well, too bad for you.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2003, 21:14   #4
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Research times

Cath has a big dissadvantage, their ships..
We need 3 ship classes to cover all 4 classes, and we are the only race who needs more than 2.. And our cruisers are not fit to attack anyone realy.. =\
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote