User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Feb 2003, 11:05   #1
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Generals

To those who've got it, does anyone else think they've sucked the life out of C&C?

C&C, RA, RA2 were all 'fun' to play. Even Tiberian Sun had its moments. But with this, it's like they've tried to make things too complicated, it just doesn't feel right any more.

I bet you all think the exact opposite, I'm just interested is all, the 3 real-world people I know with the game all think the same as me: they dinnae like it.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 11:07   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's by far the best of the C&C Series. Everyone I know in RL likes it, and you're the first person on teh intraweb to express a dislike.

ps.

It's just like starcraft!

pps.

I'm playing it right now!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 11:10   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
It's by far the best of the C&C Series. Everyone I know in RL likes it, and you're the first person on teh intraweb to express a dislike.

ps.

It's just like starcraft!

pps.

I'm playing it right now!
It just doesn't feel as pick-upable as the others, I dunno...

I'm slowly getting into it, but its taking this bastard some time to get unstuck from his ways...
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 11:11   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
It just doesn't feel as pick-upable as the others, I dunno...

I'm slowly getting into it, but its taking this bastard some time to get unstuck from his ways...
It's lot more varied than the others; Tib Sun was just dire, RA2 didn't feel right to me (but then I'm more of a craft/ta man).

This is the best of the series, RA1 is second.

What it is missing, however, is an option to turn superweapons/generals bonuses off in MP. That would be useful.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 11:13   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
It's lot more varied than the others; Tib Sun was just dire, RA2 didn't feel right to me (but then I'm more of a craft/ta man).

This is the best of the series, RA1 is second.

What it is missing, however, is an option to turn superweapons/generals bonuses off in MP. That would be useful.
I'm sure one of the 187 patches released since its launch will sort that out
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 11:25   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Also, is it just me or the GLA really underpowered, attack wise? I can't win with them at all, even if I'm dominating.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 12:10   #7
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Sounds ger-rate
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:33   #8
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Also, is it just me or the GLA really underpowered, attack wise? I can't win with them at all, even if I'm dominating.
Use Jarmen Kell (the Sniper) to kill the driver of an allied or China dozer and take it to your base, build a good army and go. The quad cannon is pretty good once it gets promoted to three stripes, and three or four angry mobs with AK-47's can tear through tanks and base defenses like tissue paper, as long as one member of the mob survives you can pull him back and watch the mob reform as strong as ever. They are weak against gattling cannons and machine guns though, but strength in numbers. The scud launcher also works good if your opponent is dumb enough to let you sneak then in range.
All in all I like the game, the terrain is much nicer than any previous C&C game, but the majority of the campaign mission were to easy, best mission is the last China mission, I actually had to think to win it.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:36   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Use Jarmen Kell (the Sniper) to kill the driver of an allied or China dozer and take it to your base, build a good army and go.
I rarely see people who leave dozers wandering about the map...
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:38   #10
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Generals

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
they dinnae like it.
You've been scotsified.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:40   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
The basis and strength of the C&C series was the simple and easilly accessible interface. Generals is just not C&C-like because the whole damn interface is gone and put inside the buildings.

Some people like this, but personally I liked the way I could build and launch with an simple scroll and click interface, without having to search the right building and THEN having to choose the right unit to build/launch.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:40   #12
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really ****e, I'm stuck on the USA mission where you get stuck over the other side of the river where they have the scud launches.

it's not fair.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:41   #13
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
The basis and strength of the C&C series was the simple and easilly accessible interface. Generals is just not C&C-like because the whole damn interface is gone and put inside the buildings.

Some people like this, but personally I liked the way I could build and launch with an simple scroll and click interface, without having to search the right building and THEN having to choose the right unit to build/launch.
It's gone all Earth 2150, which for Earth 2150 was good, but for C&C it's not the same
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:42   #14
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
STARCRAFT AND RA1 > YOU
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:45   #15
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
I rarely see people who leave dozers wandering about the map...
They don't. However, they do keep them in their base, and he is stealthed. Base defenses will still see him so you may have to launch a diversionary assault both to draw the fire from the base defense while he enters and to cover the dozers retreat. I am currently successful about a third of the time, I predict better results with more practice. Another good thing is the dozers habit of automatically moving to the turret under attack to repair it, shortens the drive home.
It's worth it to me just for the challenge of getting the dozer out of he enemy base and back to mine.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:46   #16
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
I returned it for IGI2: covert strike
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:46   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
It's gone all Earth 2150, which for Earth 2150 was good, but for C&C it's not the same
The only things it has in common with Earth are the 3D spinniovision and the power requirement. It looks and feels much more like Starcraft. Even down to the white text with yellow hotkeys.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:48   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
They don't. However, they do keep them in their base, and he is stealthed. Base defenses will still see him so you may have to launch a diversionary assault both to draw the fire from the base defense while he enters and to cover the dozers retreat. I am currently successful about a third of the time, I predict better results with more practice. Another good thing is the dozers habit of automatically moving to the turret under attack to repair it, shortens the drive home.
It's worth it to me just for the challenge of getting the dozer out of he enemy base and back to mine.
Personally, I just play USA. You can't put a price on information control.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:48   #19
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
I'm really ****e, I'm stuck on the USA mission where you get stuck over the other side of the river where they have the scud launches.

it's not fair.
If you still have the original base on the easst side of the river build an air force and use it, you'lll lose planes but you'll knock them back enough to take them out with the ground forces. Capturing the hospital helps to.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:51   #20
KaneED
Motherfracker

Quote:
If you still have the original base on the easst side of the river build an air force and use it, you'lll lose planes but you'll knock them back enough to take them out with the ground forces. Capturing the hospital helps to.
I had no money at all to build anything, so I had to sell it.

Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:52   #21
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Personally, I just play USA. You can't put a price on information control.
USA is by far the best, a squad of crusaders, paladins, humvees loaded with troops and comanches for air support is tough to beat, and in a long match the supply drops can add a tremendous money advantage. Those battle droids are great assets as well.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:55   #22
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Yes, a batch of those helicopters (what was the name of those things again?) is great for keeping them at bay. Just have them hover between the enemies and your second base. As they gain experience/ranks you can build a strong force and go for the scudstorm at once (recon the terrain with a few fast planes). Just remember that you have to keep an eye on the helicopters as they tend to get shot down once a while by a enemy with a bit larger range.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:56   #23
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
I had no money at all to build anything, so I had to sell it.

There are two oil wells in the far north, and an oil refinery just north of the GLA base you destroyed first that reduces unit build costs. If you have to restart wait a bit longer to cross the river and use the time to capture the hospital and gain strength in numbers, as well as building the airforce before you cross, makes it much easier. I had to replay that mission myself, it and the last China mission are the only two I failed to finish first try.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:59   #24
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Yes, a batch of those helicopters (what was the name of those things again?) is great for keeping them at bay. Just have them hover between the enemies and your second base. As they gain experience/ranks you can build a strong force and go for the scudstorm at once (recon the terrain with a few fast planes). Just remember that you have to keep an eye on the helicopters as they tend to get shot down once a while by a enemy with a bit larger range.
Yes indeed, the choppers are Comanches, and I believe I had six with rocket pods by the end of the mission. They will kill all approaching infantry before they get near your troops, and six can take out most buildings pretty quick with the rocket pods.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 17:57   #25
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

it's not fair.

heh i got stuck on that.

infact i still am...

i have 2 tanks but theyre on the wrong side. i destroyed the scud launcher but atm we are in stale mate situation. i managed to get enough commanches together before everything was scudified to destroy their entire base except they got shot down just as i found the 'construction yard'

now i have 0 cash. 0 resources and cant get any kind of resistance big enough together to kill them...

however they cant kill me either because im the other side of the river heh
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 18:18   #26
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
The first command&conquer game released felt totally wrong to me after having played Dune 2. Haven't bothered trying the later releases.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 18:34   #27
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
i like generals

it takes a bit of getting used to not having the right-hand menu, but i find it infinitely playable, even if it is quite samey after a few goes.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 18:35   #28
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
you young 'uns, with your real and your time.

*giles rummages around looking for his alpha centauri discs
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 19:20   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
you young 'uns, with your real and your time.

*giles rummages around looking for his alpha centauri discs
You youngsters today, with your graphical user interfaces.

In my day, we had to calculate everything by hand.

And we liked it that way.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 19:44   #30
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
You youngsters today, with your graphical user interfaces.

In my day, we had to calculate everything by hand.

And we liked it that way.
You said it. In my days home computers and video games, or even electronic calculators had not even been invented yet.
I remember the excitment when TelStar came out with Pong, a white square bouncing across the screen the you "hit" with white rectangles on each side of the screen. Harder settings just meant you had smaller rectangles to block the square with.
I remember the first pocket calculator I ever used, cost $89.00, weighed a ton, and took several seconds to complete a scientific calculation todays do instantly.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 19:52   #31
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
this thread

is in severe danger of turning into the Four Yorkshiremen sketch.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote