User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:01   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
'How Is It Done In The UK?'

Federal taxes this time.

The US has a supercomplicated graduated system with writeoffs for the most random reasons imaginable (every special interest ever has purchased specific writeoffs for themselves, etc.).

And secondly we have payroll taxes which tax only the first X dollars you make.

But how is it done in the UK? I hear there is a big sales tax, but is there an income tax/how is it done?

And how do you think taxes should be done?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cause yesterday I read an article in 'Newsweek' about how Bush's tax cuts were aimed at completely changing our entire taxation system over.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:11   #2
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Re: 'How Is It Done In The UK?'

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
Federal taxes this time.

The US has a supercomplicated graduated system with writeoffs for the most random reasons imaginable (every special interest ever has purchased specific writeoffs for themselves, etc.).

And secondly we have payroll taxes which tax only the first X dollars you make.

But how is it done in the UK? I hear there is a big sales tax, but is there an income tax/how is it done?

And how do you think taxes should be done?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cause yesterday I read an article in 'Newsweek' about how Bush's tax cuts were aimed at completely changing our entire taxation system over.
There is income tax, the first £4500 you make in a year is tax free, 23% on everything you earn after that up to £30,000 (not 100% sure) then anything you earn above £30,000 is taxed at 40%.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:16   #3
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
we have progressive direct taxation and regressive indirect taxation.

Last edited by inf; 20 Feb 2003 at 16:34.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:16   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
if you really want to see a complicated taxation system, do some research about taxation in germany
they try to make everything fair and wonderful, but the costs caused by this complicated system mean that everyone is worse off than with a less 'fair' taxation
pure brilliance
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:18   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
UK Income tax 2002-2003
Single people have a personal allowance of £4615, anything they earn up to this amount is not taxed. The next £1920 is taxed at 10%, £1921 - £29900 is taxed at 22%, and over £29900 is taxed at 40%.

Obviously we have similarly byzantine allowances but that's the basics.

UK VAT
Basic rate of VAT (sales tax) is 17.5%. There are a large list of exemptions, lower rate, and zero rated products but basically we pay 17.5% tax on top of the income tax.

Robbing bastards
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:21   #6
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
UK Income tax 2002-2003
Single people have a personal allowance of £4615, anything they earn up to this amount is not taxed. The next £1920 is taxed at 10%, £1921 - £29900 is taxed at 22%, and over £29900 is taxed at 40%.

Obviously we have similarly byzantine allowances but that's the basics.

UK VAT
Basic rate of VAT (sales tax) is 17.5%. There are a large list of exemptions, lower rate, and zero rated products but basically we pay 17.5% tax on top of the income tax.

Robbing bastards
however a lot of the time it is possible to claim the vat back.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 15:49   #7
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by ELeeming
however a lot of the time it is possible to claim the vat back.
only for vat registered businesses. So the only people that really pay vat are regular everyday people who are already taxed heavily anyway.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:01   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Add
only for vat registered businesses. So the only people that really pay vat are regular everyday people who are already taxed heavily anyway.
which is the whole idea of this tax, it is supposed to tax the "added value"
personally i think its the best tax ever developed, everyone can pay as much tax as he/she wants (because if you dont want to pay taxes you can simply buy less goods)
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:07   #9
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
I took one look at the topic of this thread, and I was sure that it would be about sex.

Im disappointed.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:08   #10
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
personally i think its the best tax ever developed, everyone can pay as much tax as he/she wants (because if you dont want to pay taxes you can simply buy less goods)
is there a tax on food/clothing?

as income tax goes, it is the same way because you can always make less money if you want too, whereas for sales tax there will always be ~10K a year you need to spend just to survive.

classically, rich people use their money to invest, and poor people spend their money. so a sales tax is an excellent way to take money from one specific class.
Quote:
Originally posted by Christian
I took one look at the topic of this thread, and I was sure that it would be about sex.
I was told "quietly, with tea and crumpets served afterwards" (the English repsonse. The scotch/irish was 'unknown,' on the grounds that every instance had been during an alcohol-induced memory blackout period. The Welsh, unsurprisingly, said 'in the pasture, when no one is looking of course.' I considered all of these responses better left unsaid).

Last edited by acropolis; 20 Feb 2003 at 16:14.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:09   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
is there a tax on food/clothing?

as income tax goes, it is the same way because you can always make less money if you want too, whereas for sales tax there will always be ~10K a year you need to spend just to survive.

classically, rich people use their money to invest, and poor people spend their money. so a sales tax is an excellent way to take money from one specific class.
No VAT on most food and clothes, not all though (afaik).

And as VAT is regressive, although the bulk of funds received through it are from the higher-spenders, the actual impact of it is felt most hard by the poor as a larger proportion of their income is spent on the tax than the rich.

Not ideal in that respect, but as necessities are VAT free it works kinda well.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:13   #12
Benjitrons

Benjitrons is an unknown quantity at this point
We also pay national insurance on our wages but I am not entirely sure how this is worked out.

I just spend all day working for Benjitrons' admiration.
Benjitrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:33   #13
inf
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
No VAT on most food and clothes, not all though (afaik).
Only childrens clothing is VAT exempt, and some food.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:33   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by inf
Knew there was a limitation somewhere like.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:48   #15
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish there was just a flat income tax rate for everyone. It would be so much simpler.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 16:49   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by inf
I thought books were vat free, or has this changed?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:03   #17
inf
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I thought books were vat free, or has this changed?
I was quoting him, I think all or most books are tax exempt along with other publications.

Most goods have a standard rate of 17.5% VAT applied to them, there is a reduced rate of 5% and also a zero rate.
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:07   #18
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
This year alone, the tax write-off for "Sports Utility Vehicles" and other such behemoths rose from $75,000 to $100,000.

<o/\o/\o>
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 18:22   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Poor people in London are worst effected by the taxes

It's why I'm so seriously considering either moving up to Scotland or even best of all, to America (Altho I'd prefer Scotland -> Fife -> any of the areas ie: glenrothes etc.)

The reason I say that is because I saw a selected range of electrical goods & brand names for cheaper than it is here + America isn't as harshly taxed as the UK system afaik.

btw - speaking of taxes, iirc. if you inherit up to £250k it's tax free? or is it £100k ?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 21:16   #20
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the whole death tax idea

it sound like it needs one of these

MUHAHAHAHAHA
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:05   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Only if you want to not buy toilet paper, sanitary towels (if you're a women obviously), non-childrens clothing or eat most food stuffs.

It's totally voluntary! Afaik, the EU wants Britain to put VAT on the currently exempt items (e.g. newspapers, books, childrens clothing) to get us in line with some other member states.

But yeah, indirect taxes are regressive for the reasons mentioned.

p.s. I think the threshold for inheritance taxes is £250k. Which is a fair amount of "cash", but not much once property is taken into account.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:08   #22
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
p.s. I think the threshold for inheritance taxes is £250k. Which is a fair amount of "cash", but not much once property is taken into account.
that's what I thought too - wasn't sure - thanks
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 22:19   #23
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: 'How Is It Done In The UK?'

Quote:
Federal taxes this time.

Heh. I remember when the US tax system was a bloated festering cesspool of special exemptions and complicated tax rates. It took a CPA to fill out all but the simpliest tax return. Then we went to a "flat tax" in the 1980s (OK, it wasn't flat, but it was close) with no exemptions (OK, just a couple--like home mortgage interest). Now, just 20 years later, we're back to the bloated festering cesspool.

There's probably a lesson to be learned there about public policy; but then again, perhaps not.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2003, 23:53   #24
wu_trax

Quote:
Only if you want to not buy toilet paper, sanitary towels (if you're a women obviously), non-childrens clothing or eat most food stuffs.
people who earn much money buy a lot of goods, therefore pay much taxes, people who dont have much money buy less goods and therfore less taxes. perfectly fine in my opinion. even better than a flat incometax. (ofc, food etc. have to be tax-free or reduced taxes)
[/b][/quote]
It's totally voluntary! Afaik, the EU wants Britain to put VAT on the currently exempt items (e.g. newspapers, books, childrens clothing) to get us in line with some other member states.
[/b][/quote]
these goods have reduced taxrates here aswell (except the children clothes, they have the full taxrate as far as i know) and so far i didnt hear a single word about the eu changing anything about it. vatrate here is 16%, reduced rate is 7% (i think). on the long run the vat rates within the eu should be sychonized though, that would make international competition easier.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 00:18   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
people who earn much money buy a lot of goods, therefore pay much taxes, people who dont have much money buy less goods and therfore less taxes. perfectly fine in my opinion. even better than a flat incometax. (ofc, food etc. have to be tax-free or reduced taxes)
People who earn a little spend 100% of their income. If VAT is 17.5% that means that 17.5% of their income goes towards taxation.

If someone earns a lot of money they might only spend 50% of their income (the rest being saved, invested, etc.) This means only 8% (roughly) of their income goes on taxes.

Taxation is all bollocks, but this is a particularly bad example.

p.s. And the problem is that Food, etc isn't tax-free. And neither are the other necesseties that I listed. And even if they were, even for people on low income quite a lot of their money goes on transportation, clothes, electricity, etc - i.e. non food items.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 00:26   #26
wu_trax

Quote:
People who earn a little spend 100% of their income. If VAT is 17.5% that means that 17.5% of their income goes towards taxation.

If someone earns a lot of money they might only spend 50% of their income (the rest being saved, invested, etc.) This means only 8% (roughly) of their income goes on taxes.

Taxation is all bollocks, but this is a particularly bad example.

p.s. And the problem is that Food, etc isn't tax-free. And neither are the other necesseties that I listed. And even if they were, even for people on low income quite a lot of their money goes on transportation, clothes, electricity, etc - i.e. non food items.
you cant use taxes to make everything fair and perfect. it doesnt work. id rather give poor people some social benefits so that they get along than having a fair but complicated taxation system.
just out of intrest: is capital income taxfree in uk?
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 00:37   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
you cant use taxes to make everything fair and perfect. it doesnt work. id rather give poor people some social benefits so that they get along than having a fair but complicated taxation system.
Who said anything about making anything perfect? This is just an awful system, and pretty much every non-rightist economist will tell you a VAT only tax system would be incredibly regressive. If your only defence is "Well, nothings perfect" then I'm suitably underwhelmed.

And no, capital gains tax exists. But obviously if I make an investment now, I am not taxed for it. I may be taxed later when I get returns upon it. If however, I just stick it in the bank, then there will be some tax on the interest, but not an amazing amount.
Unread 21 Feb 2003, 00:42   #28
wu_trax

Quote:
Who said anything about making anything perfect? This is just an awful system, and pretty much every non-rightist economist will tell you a VAT only tax system would be incredibly regressive. If your only defence is "Well, nothings perfect" then I'm suitably underwhelmed.

And no, capital gains tax exists. But obviously if I make an investment now, I am not taxed for it. I may be taxed later when I get returns upon it. If however, I just stick it in the bank, then there will be some tax on the interest, but not an amazing amount.
if you would tax goods and capital income everyone would pay the same rate on all money they earn. that would be a nice, because simple, system. ofc, you would still have to redistribute some money to the poorer people.
(but maybe you are right, im just gettin a little 'extreme' atm, because our taxation system here sucks so much :/ )