User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 May 2003, 22:26   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Geography Lesson

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...nia_203map.gif

Now , according to this, either a small land mass between Poland And Lithuania is in fact part of Russia , and has not yet seceded from Russia and claimed its own independence.

or

The BBC's graphics department needs shot.

Can anyone advise what this area of Russia is known as , well known towns , etc etc , if it at all exists?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2003, 22:30   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
It exists.
Will look for info now...

Its called Kaliningrad, and there's a site about it here

Last edited by SYMM; 11 May 2003 at 22:36.
SYMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2003, 22:39   #3
Toop
Banned

Toop is an unknown quantity at this point
It's true, it's still a part of Russia .

I did a quick google and it came up with this
Toop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 00:14   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
yes, that part is russian.
before ww2 it was part of germany, but after the war it didnt fall to Poland (for reasons unkown to me), it also wasnt part of Lithuania so it became part of russia after the su fall apart.
Unread 12 May 2003, 10:47   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
They're also planning a high-speed rail link (which only stops at either end) between it and the rest of Russia so it isnt totally cut off when Belarus, Poland and Lithuania join the EU.
Unread 12 May 2003, 10:49   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Belarus isnt going to join the eu, theyd rather join russia
Unread 12 May 2003, 10:53   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
My mistake. :)
Unread 12 May 2003, 10:55   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

I'm quite astonished that you're ignorant about this.

The area in question is a small area, that in the long distant mists of time, was part of an area known as The Duchy of Prussia. Now, Brandenburg, which was a state around modern day Berlin inherited this area at about 1600, if memory serves. Eventually, a chap called Fredrick I of Brandenburg was sick of just being a German elector, and decided he wanted to be a King. However, The royal title was forbidden to states within The Holy Roman Empire, which Brandeburg was. So, Fredrick had himself crowned 'King in Prussia', in 1701, and Frederick The Great eventually secured the title 'King of Prussia' several generations earlier.

Prussia (As the Prusso-Brandeburg sstate became known as) then went on to become the dominant German state, and unite Germany under it's stewardship after The Franco-Prussian war, all the time holding on to the area we are intrested in (East Prussia, whose chief city, Konigsberg, as it then was, was quite substantial and produced quite a few worthies. Kant was born there, I think, or at the very least, he lived out his life there.), until WW1, when it lost the land link between East Prussia and Germany, as Poland needed it's coridor for sea access.

Germany eventually lost East Prussia completely after WW2, when Russia grabs it, and also tells all the Germans in the city to piss off back to Germany. The Soviets also re-name Konigsberg 'Kallingrad' (Which it's still called, incidentally) after Mikhail Kallinin, Soviet President for a time, I believe.

And so, we come to today, when the area is suffering something of an identity crisis, for obvious reasons.

Now thank me for educating you.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 11:08   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
Belarus isnt going to join the eu, theyd rather join russia
We wouldn't let them join, anyway, even if they wanted to.

They should get rid of that twat Lukasheko ASAP.
Unread 12 May 2003, 11:46   #10
wu_trax

im still wondering why ploand didnt get that part though.
Unread 12 May 2003, 12:14   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
im still wondering why ploand didnt get that part though.
I would assume it was simply because Stalin wanted it for some reason. It's strategic value, I'd imagine. Having a concrete base in The Baltic would be very useful - Wasn't it the base of the Baltic fleet? (Still is?)
Unread 12 May 2003, 12:36   #12
Reidy
I AM THE ONE & ONLY

Reidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
I would assume it was simply because Stalin wanted it for some reason. It's strategic value, I'd imagine. Having a concrete base in The Baltic would be very useful - Wasn't it the base of the Baltic fleet? (Still is?)
Russia needed its base in the south of the baltic sea so that during the winter it would still be able to launch/repair its navel fleets rather than have them trapped in the ice further north.

Blind Faith - FTM
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:05   #13
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
but Lithuania etc were part of the su anyway, so there already was enough room for naval bases
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:08   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
but Lithuania etc were part of the su anyway, so there already was enough room for naval bases
I know. I assume it has something to do with not trusting any of the other states or republics to be given control over it. Mabye Stalin thought it would be more secure if Moscow had the right of direct administration over it.
Unread 12 May 2003, 15:26   #15
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Geography Lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...nia_203map.gif

Now , according to this, either a small land mass between Poland And Lithuania is in fact part of Russia , and has not yet seceded from Russia and claimed its own independence.

or

The BBC's graphics department needs shot.

Can anyone advise what this area of Russia is known as , well known towns , etc etc , if it at all exists?
you = owned. kind of anyway (going by your tone of voice)

Kallingrad contains the famous seven bridges that are an exercise in Graph Theory. Really.
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote