User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 26 Mar 2006, 12:06   #1
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
DVD burner problem

I am running a computer with

AMD 64 3200+
512Mb RAM
XP64
MSI K8n Neo2

and my DVD burner is a Sony DWG120A.

the DVDs I am burning are Phillips DVD-R, 4.7Gb 1-8x Certified speed

I try burning data to them with Nero, V 6.6.1.4, but it always fails, and when I try to read the files I get a cyclic redundancy check error.

If I put a blank DVD in, and try accessing it from windows, I get another error:

"D:\ is not accessible: incorrect function"

it reads CDs and DVDs with no problem. As far as I know, I have installed everything correctly, the only thing I did not do is attach the Analog Audio connector, since I don't think I have awire for this, and I'm not sure what it does anyway.

can anyone help with the burning problem?

thanks

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2006, 14:07   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: DVD burner problem

how old is it?

as for the audio connector, in the old days you needed that to listen to CD music, but now that data is sent over the IDE/SATA cable so you don't need it anymore.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2006, 14:38   #3
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

about 24h

Unread 26 Mar 2006, 23:34   #4
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light

i had the same problem ( nearly the same ), i istalled a packet writing software
that i can use the blank dvd like a harddrive,
well the problem was that this software had permanent access on the dvd, so i was not able to burn, if i have taken out a medium and inserted a normal dc/dvd everything worked fine.
perhaps it help
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 01:08   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To be honest, if its brand new I'd just return it - especially if you got it from a highstreet store rather than online.
One thing to check is that windows hasn't had an "uh oh, spaghettios" moment and set the channel to PIO (very slow, all data goes through the processor, and with the amount of data we're talking about for writing a dvd that's a bad bad thing) instead of DMA (nice and speedy, all data goes direct to the device without processor intervention), so to check that follow these instructions. I'm assuming your drive is PATA (old style, wide ribbon data cable, aka "IDE") not SATA (narrow, slim data cable) as most optical drives aren't SATA yet.

Go to control panel
Open System
Click the Hardware tab
Click Device Manager
Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
Locate the controller your drive is connected to (example: mine is NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller) and get the properties
This next step depends on the driver, but one of the tabs should show you which transfer mode is selected for master and slave on the primary and secondary channels. At this point it is helpful to know which channel your drive is on (primary or secondary) and what priority it has (master or slave) but basically if anything is set to use PIO then it needs changing, unless it's some VERY old hardware.
If you need to, change the PIO setting to something like "DMA if available", "DMA 2", "DMA Mode 2", "Multi-word DMA 2" etc - the nearest equivilant. Like I say it all depends on the drivers as to what this is called, but the important bits are "DMA" and "2".

If that doesn't fix it or doesn't apply, then I'd suggest giving it a quick go in another PC if you can, or really just taking it back for a replacement. It should work out of the box, and there's no way you should have to fiddle about with lens cleaners or suchlike with a new product.

Out of interest, what make/model is it?
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 04:46   #6
Radical Edward

it's a Sony DWG120A. I can't actually much about it online, which is a bit annoying.

I checked device manager, and it is on Multi Word DMA 2, so I'll take it back to the shop and get another one

thanks!

Unread 27 Mar 2006, 05:13   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hmm, I've never bought Sony hardware as I don't think it's worth the extra you pay for the brand.
My current burner is an LG super-multi something-or-other. Basicly it writes just about anything, and you can get one for around £30. I've had it a year now and I reckon I've only had 5 failed discs out of it in that time, and they've happened when I've used cheap nasty discs.
But to be honest, pretty much anything will do the job as the technology is now well into maturity.
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 07:51   #8
Radical Edward

well I have been hunting around, and a couple of places say that it is a rebadged Liteon SHM-165P6S, which has had pretty good reviews as far as I have seen. the Sony one was a brown-box release and was actually one of the cheapest there. I got it at least paritally because the front of the drive is black, and it looks stupid having a black computer with a white drive in it

but it is more stupid having a drive that doesn't work, so I'll try a different one.

Unread 28 Mar 2006, 05:42   #9
Radical Edward

ok, I replaced the drive, and got rid of the "D:\ is not accessible: incorrect function" problem, and I can write to DVD+RW, but I am still having trouble writing to DVD-R. Is there anything I am missing about writing Data DVDs?

Unread 28 Mar 2006, 17:48   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

That's mighty weird. It should Just Work (tm) so far as I know.
What software are you using?
My combination has always been the LG burner and Nero 6.
Unread 29 Mar 2006, 09:32   #11
Radical Edward

ok, well at least there is not something I am missing by the seem of it. I have been doing a bit of hunting for this, and I found this rather useful list of different DVD media and their respective quality

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

My discs are Philips-R

philips ise CRC. look for CRC DVD-R and we have "Pathetic Garbage Media, Landfill Material, about 0-50% success rate"

that's probably the problem. I'll try another sort this evening.

oh and I am using Nero 6.6.1.4

Unread 29 Mar 2006, 13:55   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Heh, fair enough.
I've tended to use Verbatim or Maxell discs. The times I've had coasters have been with cheaper Mirror discs, but I've still burnt plenty of those successfully too.