User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 13 Feb 2003, 20:31   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
help needed please

My flat m8 plugged his printer into his PC and somehow that caused it to crash. When rebooting windows brought up a message saying 'keyboard is locked out - unlock the key'.

There is nothing wrong with his keyboard because we've tried it in my PC and tried my keyboard in his, so people, any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Admittedly i am useless with computers so please explain in simple terms .

*realises this is his first time on this forum*
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 20:58   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Motherboard failure? I haven't seen a case with a keylock for so long I can't remember anything about them

My first guess is that his mobo supports a physical lock and plugging the (parallel?) printer in while it was switched on pissed it off a tad.

Of course if he does have a case with a key lock make sure it's not locked

[edit] Google tells me there should be a jumper to bypass the keylock. Give that a go although I couldn't tell you where it is. What's the motherboard? [/edit]
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 21:13   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Try to find the manual for your motherboard if you have it, and if there is a way to bypass this it will tell you.
If you can't find the manual, do as Gayle suggests and get us the model number of the board. You can find this by hitting the Pause key directly after turning your system on (while it's still on the screen that displays the chip type and speed, and installed drives and stuff) and writing down the numbers at the top left of the screen.

A keyboard lock is very odd in this day and age, but something similar happened on one of my older computers.
It crashed (as in completely locked up) and when I restarted it, it complained that the keyboard lock was active and I should deactivate it.
That was all well and good as the key slot for the unlock key was on the front of the case - except I didn't have the key. The simple solution turned out to be to open it up and short out the negative and positive wires leading to the lock cylinder. A lock is only as good as it's weakest part.

Unread 13 Feb 2003, 21:33   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
are these both USB devices ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 14 Feb 2003, 00:30   #5
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
He messed around with his PC, turned it off for a while then it started working ok when he put it back on, so for now atleast the problem is solved.

God knows what was wrong with it, as i said i am useless when it comes to IT, but thanks for the advice it was much appreciated and if it happens again i can give him some ideas of what to try .