User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 13:03   #1
iain50

iain50 is an unknown quantity at this point
xp

when turning my computer off through the start menu, it gives you 2 choices, restart or turn off. both restart the computer, and neither turns it off. obviously a pain, but any ideas how to fix it?

advent
comp= pentium 4 1.9 ghz
mem 512 k
iain50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 13:25   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
First thing you need to do is enable ACPI in the BIOS, you then get the 'standby' option as well and if you hold shift down it changes to hibernate. Hibernation is the best thing about XP
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 13:28   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I didn't have stand-by as default when I installed XP, it was already hibernate.

anyway.

There is also some power management thing that needs to be checked I think.

right click desktop, properties,

now, I'm @ uni so I can't remember accurately, but there should be a *power management* tab

then on that menu, there should be *enable ACPI* or something, try mine out first, if that doesn't work, then try gayles, if ACPI is disabled in bios, you might need to actually re-install if XP refuses to boot up, if not, lucky you.

I did have a similar problem, ACPI wasn't enabled for me.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 14:18   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Its under screen-saver then click properties next to energy saving.
However you probably do need to turn it on in the bios first.

Oh and Gayle, nuts to hibernation, S3 (Suspend To Ram) = the win.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 14:22   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: xp

Quote:
Originally posted by iain50
advent
comp= pentium 4 1.9 ghz
mem 512 k
maybe it is a ram problem?

J/K
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 16:00   #6
iain50

please ignore my ignorance. The problem, as i have it, is that at the end of the day, when i go to bed, i want to turn the machine off. When i hit 'turn off' through the start menu, it merely restarts the computer, so i need to sit and hit the power button just before windows starts to turn it off. I know it should just turn off and stay off when i hit that option, as it has done in the past (before my latest ****-up that led to a system restore )

I dont know how to alter that bios thingie, and tbh, without a guide, i wouldnt even know where to find it.

again, please ignore the fact im a techno-tw@t and gimme an easy way to do it.

kind regards
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 16:05   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
<snip>
I'll let some other kind soul write the bios settings guide (tired fingers), I'll settle for pointing out that hitting the power button in XP should set it off shutting down properly, it's not a power button in the old fashioned sense. I can't guarantee this won't need ACPI enabled but certainly on my system the power button just sends a signal to windows that it's sleepy time
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 16:15   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
BIOS Guide:
I'm going to assume you have an Award bios like most machines generally do.
To get into the bios you have to hit a key just after the machine turns on - the machine may display this key at the boot screen (eg. "Press F1 to enter Setup"). If it doesn't, just hit F1, F2, and Delete in turn a few times right after turning the pc on (those are the common keys to trigger it).
You may find yourself at a menu with entries such as "Basic steup, Advanced setup, Power saving", stuff like that. OR, you may come in on the basic setup screen (shows stuff like date, time, installed drives and ram, etc) and have a series of options across the top of the screen with similar names to the menu.
Get to Power saving (or it's equivilant - might be called things like Power options, Energy saving, ACPI options).
In that section, there will be some options about enabling ACPI and APM - make sure they are both on.

That then hands over control of your computer's power to windows (scary but necessary) and you should be able to shut down correctly. If they are allready on then there is a problem with windows and we're on the wrong track.

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 17:05   #9
iain50

right, i got the bios up, and had a good look under ever heading. under 'power managment' there was apm - enabled. but i couldnt, under any of the options see acpi.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 17:38   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
right, i got the bios up, and had a good look under ever heading. under 'power managment' there was apm - enabled. but i couldnt, under any of the options see acpi.
I don't know

If you didn't have a P4 I'd say your BIOS was too old but obviously that's not the case. I hope someone else can come up with an answer.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 19:10   #11
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
this is from '98 but...

http://uninteresting.myby.co.uk/imag...properties.gif?

Last edited by BesigedB; 27 Jan 2003 at 19:23.
BesigedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:23   #12
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

you know what, I don't think it is ACPI fault.

I went into my BIOS and ACPI was disabled, but my machine shuts down properly.

I enabled it and it still shuts down properly

APM is checked aswell.

I can't think what is up...

When did this problem start to occur?
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:24   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=19726

Also, from this google search (click the Cached copy of the second link down)

My PC reboots instead of shutting down !!! - 03-16-2002
There are a number of known reasons for Windows XP restarting instead of shutting down. If there's a system failure during the shutdown process, Windows XP automatically restarts to try to fix the problem.You can try the following to maybe fix the problem. Right click on my computer and choose propreties, Advanced, under startup and recovery click settings and uncheck automatically restart under system failure. Also some software like Easy CD Creator or Direct CD causes shutdown problem in XP, make sure you go to our links section and click on www.roxio.com to download the latest XP upgrade for it. Other software that cause similar problem include Logitech Mouseware 8.6 and Key Commander for the Logitech Keyboard, if you have these just uninstall them and try the basic drivers that are already installed by windows xp
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote