User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 00:31   #1
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
[Declined] Bombing Run.

Considering that I'm enjoying CTF atm (being havoc it means I can play not-so seriously and just have fun with my gal ), how do people feel about other game types?

The first thing that springs to mind is 'bombing run', inspired by combination of PA style CTF and Bombing Run from the Unreal Tournament/Championship games.

Each gal has a 'goal', which is basically a structure with no benefits, other than being goal-like. Galaxies gain points by destroying the 'goal' of another gal. This goal then respawns at another planet some time later (reasonably quickly though).

There's some problems I do immediately see:
- Easy points from farming an inactive gal and twatting its goal. Maybe respawning the goal at the next planet that logs in? And perhaps relating points gained from destroying a goal in a similar way to XP, based upon the proportional size of attacking galaxy and defending galaxy?
- People with very few structs getting a goal and then it being unkillable. Solution is to make it destroyable regardless, if this is codable.

And I'm sure more will pop up if people with a better mind than me can give it the once over.

Also, I know this won't be popular amongst the purists, but for speedgames I think it would be another potential nice twist and could open up different styles of play and generally make the game interesting.

Opinions?

Last edited by Gate; 12 Jun 2005 at 00:38.
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 06:32   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Bombing Run.

I cant say that i am a huge fan of structure killing in general, due majorly to the length of time (and to a smaller extent, the cost) of replacing lost structures.

Enjouraging people to structure kill others to destroy a galaxy's structure would effectively result in that planet being scrubbed for the round - as the first wave may not kill the galaxy structure but still kill 20% of structures, nor the second, nor the third etc.

if, once the 'goal' has been destroyed, that planet could rebuild their structures in 2 ticks and cost 50% of normal - for example - to help them regain their place as a useful member of the galaxy, then that might be a better compromise.

still, i think i prefer CTF as its encouraging all the right things - stealing roids .
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 07:16   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
if, once the 'goal' has been destroyed, that planet could rebuild their structures in 2 ticks and cost 50% of normal - for example - to help them regain their place as a useful member of the galaxy, then that might be a better compromise.

still, i think i prefer CTF as its encouraging all the right things - stealing roids .
If limited to speedgames, and maybe with structs made easier to build as you suggest (with the goal automatically destroyed upon 20% destruction of structs or something), it would make it easy for people to rebuild and, being a speedgame, it wouldn't be newbie bashing.

But if people aren't interested in the idea, then that's up to them.
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 10:51   #4
Loz
Careless talk costs lives

Loz has a spectacular aura aboutLoz has a spectacular aura aboutLoz has a spectacular aura about

Or perhaps the goal could fall into a different category to structures and a special ship target only the goal?

An interesting idea though
[19:13] <Keglomaniac> whats wrong with our intel?
[19:13] <bos|takeaway> its a contradiction in terms
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 11:04   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

That would raise all sorts of problems though - what class would the goal targeter be, which ships target it? etc etc.
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 03:58   #6
Troll
DLR HC

Troll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to behold

Instead of destroying a structure as a goal, wouldn’t it be more interesting to go back to the days of old where an army had a banner and one of the triumphs of the conqueror was to display his vanquished foes banner as a war trophy. There would be no need for a banner man since electing a planet as a banner carrier would be like painting a target upon a planets back let alone galaxies making the smallest planet in there gal the banner man as to make who could hit him/her small and hence easier to defend. So now the question becomes how you capture the banner of another galaxy. One way would be for one galaxy to inflict a certain amount of damage upon another. Say around 30% of the total galaxy roids are stolen by another galaxy that galaxy there for receives that gals banner as a trophy to be displayed in a line perhaps bellow the galaxy name. Simple co ords would do.

Just a thought if we are dreaming etc I mean come on you know they could never code this
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 10:17   #7
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Just a thought if we are dreaming etc I mean come on you know they could never code this
I resent that comment.
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 12:37   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

for now I don;t think adding extra speedgame options is the best course of action for the game, but there may come a time when this sort of thing can be revisited.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread