User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 29 Jul 2008, 06:45   #1
smith-

smith- is an unknown quantity at this point
Wave Centers

Ok, it seems that there's a lot of kerfuffle surrounding the importance of scanners in this game.

There is no perfect solution, or at least none that've been found yet. Forgive me if the following sounds stupid, or has been mentioned previously, but here goes:

Removed Amps and Distorters and replace them with Wave Centers.

Wave Centers do the job of both of it's predecessors. Add in a new formulae, that says in order to scan a planet you must have equal to or more WC's than the target planet.

This should take a lot of pressure off of the need for dedicated scanners (while not making them redundant), as this would essentially encourage more people to invest in WC's and explore wave tech themselves.

It would, however, conflict with my suggested Quests ammendments - but if that isn't being considered then maybe this could be.

It's worth trialing if nothing else.

Last edited by smith-; 29 Jul 2008 at 13:38.
smith- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 11:51   #2
damo8
NewDawn HC

damo8 has a spectacular aura aboutdamo8 has a spectacular aura aboutdamo8 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wave Centers

Would this not mean that every planet has the same amount of amps as it has distorters?

For example, a planet with 50 WC's would have 50 amps and 50 dists?
NewDawn - Scanner - Round 31
NewDawn - HC/Peon - Round 32
VisioN - Peon - Round 33
NewDawn - Peon - Round 33/34
NewDawn - HC - Round 35
damo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 12:56   #3
smith-

Yes, that's precisely what this means.

But the planet next door may have 55 amps, and 55 distorters (or 55 WC's), and so the planet you were talking about wouldn't be able to scan him.
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 13:17   #4
damo8
NewDawn HC

damo8 has a spectacular aura aboutdamo8 has a spectacular aura aboutdamo8 has a spectacular aura about

So if someone got to 150 amps, which I know they did last round, they would be unscannable by anybody?
NewDawn - Scanner - Round 31
NewDawn - HC/Peon - Round 32
VisioN - Peon - Round 33
NewDawn - Peon - Round 33/34
NewDawn - HC - Round 35
damo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 13:24   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

x dists blocks x-1 amps, so no.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 13:37   #6
smith-

Exactly, so it'd be x WCs blocks x-1 WCs under this suggestion.

It'd also add to stir things up a bit, because scanners would be offered a little more anonymity, as to the casual eye they'd be indistinguishable from distwhores.

One of the reasons (however trivial) people delay doing scan tech is because they'd never have enough amps to be able to properly support their alliance. By giving people extra incentive to build WC's (by giving them both amp and dist technology) then it will encourage more people to help their alliance by providing scans.

All in all, I think this would get more people involved in 'scanning', taking a lot of the onus off of dedicated scanners, while not removing the need for them entirely (as I said in my OP).
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 13:59   #7
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith- View Post
All in all, I think this would get more people involved in 'scanning', taking a lot of the onus off of dedicated scanners, while not removing the need for them entirely (as I said in my OP).
I think we already came up with a solution that achieves these aims.

Have planets begin with planet, unit and 'defence detection' scans (a jgp that only works on your own fleets at eta4 or below).

This doesn't rule out your idea if it has other benefits... but I do quite like the payoffs involved in amps vs dists as they are. So convince me.

The idea of having assignable wave centres does interest me though. Let's say you can only change them once per tick or once per day, you have to choose how many will act as dists and how many as amps.

Not sure whether that adds enough to justify breaking KISS though.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 14:11   #8
smith-

How long ago was that suggested though Gate? And was it implemented, or even seriously considered?

By 'playoff involved in amps vs dists' do you mean trying to find the balance of how many of each one person builds, or people massing one trying to out en-masse people building the other?

And 'assignable wave centers' defeats the purpose of a WC being able to provide both techs, and is only going to make things more complicated, which is against what I'm suggesting entirely.
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 21:47   #9
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith- View Post
How long ago was that suggested though Gate? And was it implemented, or even seriously considered?
It has been periodically suggested, last time was r25/26 time.

As far as I can tell it was about as seriously considered as any idea which required any effort (that is, never going to be done). But with OMAC now in charge and promising development, there's a chance it can be done.

Quote:
By 'playoff involved in amps vs dists' do you mean trying to find the balance of how many of each one person builds, or people massing one trying to out en-masse people building the other?
A small-medium # of distorters lets you fake, whilst a similar number of amps prevents those disters from faking on you. Going heavier on amps pretty much limits you to scanner/officer, whilst going heavier on dists is a tactic to recuce your incoming (albeit at a heavy hit to income). This allows for some interesting trade-offs. Wave centres on their own just mean that one person beats another person at everything scanning wise.

Quote:
And 'assignable wave centers' defeats the purpose of a WC being able to provide both techs, and is only going to make things more complicated, which is against what I'm suggesting entirely.
I like the current dynamic (described badly above), I'm not convinced that yours adds enough in simplicity to pay off what it loses in options.

If we opted for simplicity I'd consider dropping amps/dists altogether.

Last edited by Gate; 29 Jul 2008 at 22:12.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2008, 21:55   #10
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I can't say I'm in favor of this idea, and gate explained a lot of the reason why. The only way I can see this making much sense is if we went back to scans having a limited chance of being successful based on the relative number of scan centers. Then this idea might make sense, but in the end I think KISS wins. The current system works, is fairly simple, and allows for significant tactical variations driven by opportunity cost (certain choices are cost prohibitive for those that don't know what opportunity cost is about). For these reasons I don't see a serious reason to change how scanning works within the current game paradigm.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2008, 18:18   #11
Gabba
Insomnia still alive?

Gabba is an unknown quantity at this point

for the tactical variations the system now is good. Was diffrent before when PA was much more simple.

ViruS, Fang, Mistu, Insomnia, Destiny, CT, Rock, Urwins, Denial, Apprime, Rainbows, NewDawn, Norse
Gabba is offline   Reply With Quote