User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 20 Oct 2005, 19:51   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Xandathrii Race Guide (R15)

Well, much has been made of Xan over the last few days. They're in many ways the most defensive race - their high damage often makes them the least popular to attack, though Cathaar can EMP them efficiently and many Terrans brave the high damage with their strong armour. They have been known (especially in earlier rounds) to use tactics to scare off defenders with a big, powerful fleet, rather than confronting them and risking losses with their weakly-armoured ships.

Xan Fi (+ Co)

Sentinel: Fi -> Fi
Vsharrak: Fi -> Fr
Pulsar: Fi -> De
Dagger:Fi -> Roids
Arrowhead: Co -> Co

Anti Fi (+Co):
Harpy: Fi -> Fi
Gryphon: Fr -> Co
Pegasus: De -> Fi
Spider: Fi -> Co
Beetle: Co -> Fi
Guardian Bs -> Co
Sentinal: Fi -> Fi
Arrowhead: Co-> Co
Tzen: Fr-> Fi
Lancer: De -> Co
Cutter: Co -> Fi
Cutlass: Fr -> Fi
Thief: Fr-> Co

In some ways, you can argue that you can hit every race but Xan (inits make this very very messy).

Vs Cathaar, assuming you're not going to be defended against, the most cost efficient way to attack is to send a sentinal / dagger fleet. Unfortunately, pesky galaxy mates and alliance mates send defence, so it's better to send along some Vsh and Pulsars too.
In fact, the best flak / most generally useful Fighter is the Vsharrak. The Cutlass and Tzen will be common ships, and so a large amount of Vsh will be useful in both attack and defence. Sentinals will also be useful to some extent, to make Harpys less useful and scare off a few Sentinals. Pulsars are probably the least useful of the Fi - the Bomber is probably a better option.
I'd use a fair amount of Arrowheads (Ziks will build some Cutters just to be nasty) and hit just about anyone - Terrans may not have many Pegs, so as long as you have enough Sents to disable the Harpys that's ok. Once Ziks start stealing enough ships to make them less profitable, you can switch to anyone else with a Fighter weakness - mid/end of the round, the fact it's so hard to get alliance defence is often an advantage when people get more inactive.

Xan Fr

Arguably better than the Fighter fleet. Consists of:

Ghost: Fr-> Cr
Bomber: Fr -> De
Tzen: Fr -> Fi
Sabre: Fr-> Roids
Predator: De-> Structures
(Peacekeeper: De -> Bs )
(Lancer: De -> Co )

Anti Fr:
Wyvern: Bs -> Fr
Viper: Co -> Fr
Tarantula: Cr -> Fr
Vsharrak: Fi -> Fr
Corsair: Fi -> Fr
Marauder: Cr -> Fr

As you can see, there's a lot of Fighter and Cruiser anti Fr, so Tzen and Ghosts are essentials. Bombers will probably be used more for defence.
It's obviously possible to slip Lancers and Peacekeepers in to the fleet (a Ghost/Lancer/Peacekeeper/Sabre fleet hits all Terran's anti De/Fr), but that's not the easiest combo and probably won't be that common.
Hitting Ziks and other Xans will probably be more common and easy - massing Tzens is an obvious option, as (ignoring the ETA) it's probably the best anti Fi ship in the game. Cathaars are an option, but by the end of the round you probably won't be that happy about the Viper - it's fairly efficient, and together with a few kill ships can seriously hurt your chances of landing.

Defense ship wise, Xan have some nice defence ships. The Vsharrak is the obvious choice, as anti Fr. The Lancer, Ghost, Peacekeeper and Bomber are other good ships, and some amount of Tzen to scare off other Xans is probably also necessary.
Most people will probably build more vsh than all other Fi put together, and a fairly large amount of Ghosts to keep Terran and Cath at bay, putting fewer resources into Peacekeepers. Lancers are obviously a better deterrent to Cath Co, if less useful for alliance defence AND for attack than Arrowheads (pesky Cutters!) and while some Tzen are useful, sending more Sentinals to attack looks more scary, if nothing else

Considering all but 2 of the Xan ships make alliance ETA, to some extent you can build what you want, really. You can cover all ship classes.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 22 Oct 2005 at 17:03.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 20:24   #2
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Xandathrii Race Guide (R15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
They're in many ways the most defensive race - their high armour often makes them the least popular to attack.
Sarcasim FTW

But I see what you mean with high damage
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 20:31   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

didn't actually mean to put high damage and be sarcastic TYPOS FTW! where's JBG
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 21:53   #4
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

And for my PoV for xands; as always, they can make themselves into a very tough nut to crack, but the main issue is that you need a decent amount of most defence ships (except for bomber/lancer) to keep yourself safe, so you'll never be able to cover all avenues.

I'd suggest concentrating either on a FI or an FR attack fleet as, due to your low armour, you often need to send as many ships as possible to destroy/deter defence, or you could get ripped to shreds!
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 22:54   #5
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i see a universe full of ghost and vsharr tbh
Unread 20 Oct 2005, 23:31   #6
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
i see a universe full of ghost and vsharr tbh
But there are lots of xands. Some xands will do very well. Tzens are pretty much the only way to roid a xan for free without wasting lodas of ships.

So I see lots of tzens too really.
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 01:48   #7
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
didn't actually mean to put high damage and be sarcastic TYPOS FTW! where's JBG
Your xan post was on the nose.

I would recomend a good balanced ghost/pks ratio to put off terrans and ziks.
The only major weakness with xan that I can see (bar xan frig on xan)

Edit...
Quote:
It's obviously possible to slip Lancers and Peacekeepers in to the fleet (a Ghost/Lancer/Peacekeeper/Sabre fleet hits all Terran's anti De/Fr), but that's not the easiest combo and probably won't be that common.
Problem is that the syren will get its cut into the pks (also takes out the lancers and sks but lancers fire first.) and with no pks left to fire at the wyvern. The wyvern clean up on the frigs. only recommend it if you are going attack a terran with little or no syren count.

Last edited by Paisley; 21 Oct 2005 at 01:59.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 02:35   #8
Cowmando
is your god

Cowmando is an unknown quantity at this point

on the subject of typos ftw

Marauder: Cr -> Bs
Cowmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2005, 08:54   #9
Appocomaster
PA Team

hehe. Oops :/

I was like "no it's not, that's the Buccaneer!" Then I realised you meant I'd typed it wrong.
Oh well

Last edited by Appocomaster; 21 Oct 2005 at 09:05.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2005, 04:55   #10
Cowmando
is your god

Cowmando is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i could not be botherd to put it as a quote

Last edited by Cowmando; 5 Nov 2005 at 03:37.
Cowmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2005, 17:10   #11
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

How about some ratios of fleet type here?

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 16:03   #12
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

My ratio estimates:

Fi fleet:

sents : vsh : puls
2:10:3

FR
ghost : bomber : tzen
1 : 1 : 2

Adjust based on your incomings as detterent. Have enough pods to kill whatever u'd contemplate landing on, plus about 25% to account losses.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 20:19   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Though I'm not playing properly and haven't looked, I'd have thought people had a few less bombers than that. Maybe I'm wrong
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 20:31   #14
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

They are surely a better deterrent than pulsar.

Perhaps it depends how you ratio your fi and fr fleet with respect to each other. I try to keep mine at equal roiding ability.
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 00:30   #15
Gate
;D!

My fleet ratio (not counting sentinels, arrows or daggers I built early game):

Vsharrak 300 Ghost 30 Bomber 10 Tzen 40 Lancer 5 Peacekeeper 5 Sabre 10

Early on, I don't think this ratio will be quite as effective, as you'd probably need more of stuff like peacekeepers for defence, and less ghosts (you can hunt xands easily enough ), but as I'm quite a reasonable size now, even a comparitive handful of lancers can scare off CO. After all, you can always buy more when the incomings appear, which isn't so tempting when there's much better targs around!

Overall thugh, I feel I need more peacekeepers/vsh, and am gonna get myself more bombers to defend allymates with, and more tzens to attack with \o/
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 00:43   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm a FI Xan (currently in Vacation mode ), however my fleet is more like this (in % of resources)

Sentinel: 20%
Vsharrak: 20%
Pulsar: 15%
Dagger: 5%
Arrowhead: 10%
Ghost: 5%
Lancer: 5%
Peacekeeper: 20%
(i think that adds up )

Anyway, my fleet actually is pretty close to that representation, however i have more Daggers (~8%) as you kinda need a fixed amount of them to become useful, and i have less Ghosts (0%) as immediately prior to me going into vac mode, i got Cath CR incs which killed my 250 Ghosts that came out of production .

Arrowheads are good for alliance defence, i get attacked alot by Terran DE, but i usually have 1 or 2k more Pulsars in production all the time (along with other FI) so by the time they land they get surprised . I have yet to get any FI, CO, nor BA incs, and i dont recall getting any FR incs (though i might have).

Heh
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 02:22   #17
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

I find my vsh is as high as I can build without neglecting attack - its hard to stop xan fr incs!
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 02:35   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
I find my vsh is as high as I can build without neglecting attack - its hard to stop xan fr incs!
One of the 'advantages' of being a FI Xan is that ~60% of my fleet is FI; which means that 2/3 of TBT shots are "wasted" on killing non-vsh FI. Which means they take more losses by attacking me than they would had they attacked a FR Xan who is building only Vsh.

Fi ftw! \o/

Oh, and my fleet ratio in terms of numbers is roughly:
Sent 450, Vsh 400, 200 Pulsar, 25 Dagger, 25 Arrowhead*, 25 Ghost, 10 Lancer*, 20 Peacekeeper.
* This adjusts the proportion to more like 8% for both Arrows and Lancers, however combined its 16% which is close to the 15% anti CO as originally listed .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote